• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
No, South Africa was ranked the first by an assessment panel but not given preferred status.

What this means is that we will begin talking to World Rugby directly about specifics of hosting the tournament. We've got it barring an unforeseen disaster.
And it will make getting the assurances from our govts. in regards to the funding being needed to be provided in order to bid.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, having the USA picked for "exclusive targeted dialogue" really helps clear the field and reduces the chance of anyone coming in over the top.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No, South Africa was ranked the first by an assessment panel but not given preferred status.

What this means is that we will begin talking to World Rugby directly about specifics of hosting the tournament. We've got it barring an unforeseen disaster.

"The Rugby World Cup Limited (RWCL) Board has unanimously recommended to the World Rugby Council the selection of South Africa as Rugby World Cup 2023 host. The World Rugby Council will now meet on 15 November in London to consider the recommendation and vote on the next host. The Board made its recommendation following detailed consideration of the comprehensive host candidate evaluation report. In line with World Rugby’s mission to deliver a ground-breaking, rigorous and fully transparent host selection process for its showcase event, the report is being published today as agreed by Council."

It feels like things are quite different this time around with the alternatives being USA and Russia vs South Africa and Ireland for 2023. It's hard to see either the USA or Russia achieving a voting bloc like France did (Ireland finished last in the first round of voting for 2023 and was eliminated).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This process is the same with the IOC adopted for the Brisbane 2032 Olympics, it’s basically thrown the old model out the door.

WR (World Rugby) will exclusively work with the preferred bidder up to final approval, essentially they’ve said this bid is the most promising and advanced and they’ll only work with Australia now to save other unions wasting money.

It still requires final approval, but it won’t be a selection process where 4 bids are put forward and one is chosen. Essentially Australia’s bid will be the only one put forward and the vote will be whether it’s accepted or not.

If it isn’t accepted then it goes back to the start and opens up again, which they’ll be unlikely to do. Makes it’s harder for other unions to influence through shenanigans.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm unfamiliar with the process, but wasn't South Africa announced as the preferred candidate for 2023 and then lost out on the votes anyway? What's the chances we still lose out?

That was then, the Frogs did a sterling job shafting the Saffers for their own nefarious ends. This is now, our man, Coates, IOC Vice-President 'n' all, has convinced iRB/WR (World Rugby) to go down the IOC route of a "preferred host", a la Brisbane. It'd seem both the IOC and FIFA have had enough of dodgy winning bids from countries such as Russia and Qatar and have decided to do much more thorough examinations of potential hosting cities/countries a long way out. This gives the "preferred host" a decent lead time to get their venues and supporting infrastructure in order.

Last edited:

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Anyone here have an understanding of the financial windfall (read net profit post completion) the ARU expect to receive post hosting RWC 2027? (Assuming we win it of course...) Have seen plenty about the total economic boost for Aust (which will be massive.. after attending RWC in Japan myself I can confirm that the spending per visitor is huge..) Interested to see what size the ARU golden egg is expected to be.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone here have an understanding of the financial windfall (read net profit post completion) the ARU expect to receive post hosting RWC 2027? (Assuming we win it of course...) Have seen plenty about the total economic boost for Aust (which will be massive.. after attending RWC in Japan myself I can confirm that the spending per visitor is huge..) Interested to see what size the ARU golden egg is expected to be.
Hopefully RA don't squander it like they did in 2003.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
If our government is fair dinkum we should be on the shortlist.

Would love to see a RWC game at Adelaide Oval.

An article i read (cant find it now) said in the bid RA proposed 10 stadiums in 8 cities, so you would think

Homebush & SFS
Suncorp
Aami Park & Marvel (or the MCG)
Optus Stadium
Gio Stadium (hopefully a new one with a roof)
Cbus
Queensland country bank stadium
Adelaide Oval or Utas stadium

Newcastle could be in there somewhere as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
An article i read (cant find it now) said in the bid RA proposed 10 stadiums in 8 cities, so you would think
I remember that the Irish team was based on the Central Coast of NSW, I think they played at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford (now Central Coast Stadium).

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

Homebush & SFS
Suncorp
Aami Park & Marvel (or the MCG)
Optus Stadium
Gio Stadium (hopefully a new one with a roof)
Cbus
Queensland country bank stadium
Adelaide Oval or Utas stadium

Newcastle could be in there somewhere as well.
It should be the MCG or Optus for the final. Optus is the best option if you want to maximise TV audience and revenue. The MCG is the best option in terms of ticket sales