• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I have seen no updates for the bid, all interested parties had to apply by the end of May.

I guess we may have won???
Thought I'd check the process. From this, it seems interested parties have until Jan next year to lodge.

February 2021 – Dialogue Phase: An opportunity for open communication between World Rugby and unions, governments and other key stakeholders. This will allow potential hosts to understand the business and delivery model, how they will partner with World Rugby and ultimately build a compelling proposal.

May 2021 – Candidate Phase: Candidates will construct their detailed proposals with World Rugby providing ongoing clarification and support to ensure the best-possible model. The phase culminates with candidates submitting Candidate files, hosting agreements and guarantees in January 2022.

February 2022 – Evaluation Phase: Bids will be evaluated by relevant industry experts against the key criteria agreed by World Rugby Council. The evaluation report will be provided to Council for a vote in May 2022.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Thought I'd check the process. From this, it seems interested parties have until Jan next year to lodge.

February 2021 – Dialogue Phase: An opportunity for open communication between World Rugby and unions, governments and other key stakeholders. This will allow potential hosts to understand the business and delivery model, how they will partner with World Rugby and ultimately build a compelling proposal.

May 2021 – Candidate Phase: Candidates will construct their detailed proposals with World Rugby providing ongoing clarification and support to ensure the best-possible model. The phase culminates with candidates submitting Candidate files, hosting agreements and guarantees in January 2022.

February 2022 – Evaluation Phase: Bids will be evaluated by relevant industry experts against the key criteria agreed by World Rugby Council. The evaluation report will be provided to Council for a vote in May 2022.

Cheers Kiap, I was wondering how USA was putting in bid after May deadline. Still think with USA apparently indicating they will bid for 2031 if they miss out it will be fairly easy to say Aus do it and then we will all support USA next time.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
USA Chairman has stated that the longer the lead up the better, so as is, that would lead me to believe that 2027 - Aus and 2031 - USA is the most likely. Apparently a potential England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland bid might be the spanner in the works if they go ahead with it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
USA Chairman has stated that the longer the lead up the better, so as is, that would lead me to believe that 2027 - Aus and 2031 - USA is the most likely. Apparently a potential England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland bid might be the spanner in the works if they go ahead with it.

Yep but apparently WR (World Rugby) are against multi country bids these days, so hopeully they will be out. Though they would get a bit of voting power you would imagine.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
United Kingdom is the Sovereign Country. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are Nations. Is WR (World Rugby) against multi Nation bids?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
United Kingdom is the Sovereign Country. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are Nations. Is WR (World Rugby) against multi Nation bids?
They're allowed. Self voting is limited, though.

https://www.world.rugby/news/605861/voting-process-confirmed-for-future-rugby-world-cup-awarding

Where the decision involves only single nation bids, no bidder will vote in the award decision (as previously)

Where the decision involves a joint nation bid versus a single nation bid, the following process will apply:

* Both the single nation and joint nation bid unions may vote.

* The single nation bidder will retain its existing Council vote allocation.

* Voting rights for a joint nation bid will be capped at a maximum of three votes (being the maximum number of votes that any union represented on Council is entitled to).

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It's open voting also, no more secret ballots. So effectively Eng, Sco, Wal, Ire would get 0.75 votes each for a shared B+I bid, rather than 3 votes each.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Not sure if it's the right spot but England are out of the 2027 hosting race, going for 2031 instead.

I would rather USA in 2031 and maybe England in 2037 after Argentina (combined South America) or South Africa in 2034.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure if it's the right spot but England are out of the 2027 hosting race, going for 2031 instead.

I would rather USA in 2031 and maybe England in 2037 after Argentina (combined South America) or South Africa in 2034.

I actually wonder how much this will harm Aussie's chances. I was really thinking that USA were pretty happy going after 31 wc, but you would suspect the Poms will have a pretty strong bid (they got a lot of power) and so USA could just target 27wc a bit harder? I was quite keen on Aus 27 and USA in 31 because I think a WC in the States is quite important going forward.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Would be different
Tournament has moved on since then, minimum capacity semis and finals required, the nz "grass bank" look doesnt appeal to the world wide audiences they want to engage like the US.
Forget Tassie it doesnt have the right stadium.
Stadium Aus 70k
SFS 45k
Bankstown 30k
Marvel 55k or AAMI 30K cant see Geelong getting anything
Suncorp 52k Cairns or Sunshine coast options if they have new stadia
Subiaco, demolished now the new Perth stadium 60k
Adelaide oval Its a poor rectangular ground but Adelaide will never get a better stadium under current govt than Hindmarsh which is too small, Adelaide wont be ignored come WC 55K
Townsville 30K
Canberra will the new city stadium be built by then? 25k
Gosford Not so sure this will get a gig, its getting really old and not many rugby fans Id say Newcastle will replace it 30k
Launceston Nope
Wollongong Probably needs that grass bank covered 23k
Thats 10-12 stadiums and probably enough

I've lived in Sydney man and boy since 1965 (apart from six years penance in Brisbane) and been to nearly every sporting stadium on the east coast, but, buggered if I know where a 65k seater is in Bankstown. Possibly the new Parramatta stadium?

The grounds I see relevant for a RWC bid are similar to above.

Townsville
Sunshine Coast
Suncorp
Gold Coast
Newcastle
Central Coast
Homebush
new SFS
Parramatta
Wollongong, with a bit of work. Surely ocean views and next to a brewery's gotta count for something..........
Canberra, hopefully a new indoor stadium on the edge of Civic on the current pool site. FFS, Canberra, give the Dunedin crew a bell and get on with the job.
Melbourme AAMI
Melbourne Marvel
Adelaide Oval
Optus Stadium Perth, with so many Saffers and lost Poms in WA the Force's stadium is just too small.

That's 15. Sorry, Launceston, your support in 2003 was wonderful, and thank you.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wondered if this would happen, and will certainly be interesting. USA having a go with it. Much as I was/am keen on Aussie's bid I can see a hell of a lot of upside to USA having it. Could be huge for the game!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I wondered if this would happen, and will certainly be interesting. USA having a go with it. Much as I was/am keen on Aussie's bid I can see a hell of a lot of upside to USA having it. Could be huge for the game!
You know the best thing that could happen to your USA 2027 bid right now?

It's this: the Eagles, fresh from losing to Uruguay but now captained by Marcel Brache (good bloke), stun the touring New Zealand junketeers.

I wouldn't put it beyond possibilty. Fozzie -- under riding instructions from 'ol mate Mark 'Silverlake' Robinson -- goes the soft shoe on selection for the new paymasters.

NZ shave their margin from 70+ to just 27 points against a resurgent United States.

Here first!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You know the best thing that could happen to your USA 2027 bid right now?

It's this: the Eagles, fresh from losing to Uruguay but now captained by Marcel Brache (good bloke), stun the touring New Zealand junketeers.

I wouldn't put it beyond possibilty. Fozzie -- under riding instructions from 'ol mate Mark 'Silverlake' Robinson -- goes the soft shoe on selection for the new paymasters.

NZ shave their margin from 70+ to just 27 points against a resurgent United States.

Here first!
Well that rates as one of strangest posts.
It's not my Bid, you know that don't you? I thought it was worth mentioning as it will impact the Aus bid which I think is odds on favourite at moment.
I did wonder if there had been talk, between US and Poms, as originally I thought the Yanks were open to either 27 or 31 bids, but when the Poms announced they were going after the 31, I wondered if they had talk to Yanks frist. I know WR (World Rugby) has said originally that they were pretty keen on Aussie getting it as RA needed money, but would maybe be swayed by the promo of game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
To be clear (because that stuff article absolutely wasn't) the US are bidding for both the 2027 and 2031 men's World cup, and the 2029 women's World cup.

Nothing much changes with this announcement, bidding for both strengthens the US case for 2031 and Australia are still heavy favourites for 2027. We may still lose it, but if it's seen to be a result of backroom dealing by the home nations so they can have another world cup in 2031 I honestly don't know what the ramifications would be, particularly after South Africa was passed over for France for 2023.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be clear (because that stuff article absolutely wasn't) the US are bidding for both the 2027 and 2031 men's World cup, and the 2029 women's World cup.

Nothing much changes with this announcement, bidding for both strengthens the US case for 2031 and Australia are still heavy favourites for 2027. We may still lose it, but if it's seen to be a result of backroom dealing by the home nations so they can have another world cup in 2031 I honestly don't know what the ramifications would be, particularly after South Africa was passed over for France for 2023.
Hope that is still case, I always thought Aus 27 and US 31 would be way to go, as I said in earlier post with Poms saying they wanted 31 WC, I wondered if that would push US more towards 27. I really believe it will hinge on Poms not messing it up. But now US has had a crack at 27 I guessing rules mean they have to consider that only at this stage.
Was just reading where WR (World Rugby) had supposedly trying to get US to only apply for either 27 or 31, and US were saying they thought that 31 was best for them, a longer lead time etc, so surprised to see that they have applied for 27. I said in earlier posts the Poms etc having a crack at 31 could unfortunately be a game changer, as politics will come into play big time.
I can see me getting to Aus in 27, but not US so I obviously prefer it in Aus, just worth keeping an eye on I think.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

If the Northern Hemisphere gets another one we revolt. Revolution!

WR (World Rugby) suck anyway.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was on the east coast of the USA for the last RWC and it was invisible.

If they think hosting a RWC will be the magic wand for them, then they are way off.

They're national team is dire and their new professional league was one by a team of mostly foreigners.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I was on the east coast of the USA for the last RWC and it was invisible.

If they think hosting a RWC will be the magic wand for them, then they are way off.

They're national team is dire and their new professional league was one by a team of mostly foreigners.

They should maybe focus on qualifying for the next one, you mean?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I fail to see how an organisation that would struggle to organise a piss up in a brewery having only recently emerged from bankruptcy which saw large segments of the game removed from under its umbrella to be run independently of it and one that has next to fuck all money would be able to manage a serious bid for at the least 2027.

At best, they might be able to realistically aim for the Women's 2029 and Men's 2031 events. But not without a lot of backing from some outside source.

And I say all this as someone who has followed the goings on in Nth American Rugby for years.