• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
In a garbage stadium, there is a reason they keep trying to knock it down. The MCG and Optus are both far better stadiums

Homebush is actually better to watch rectangular than both of those stadiums (& i'm a victorian). Plus I think if we win it with 6 years up our sleeves the redevelopment could be put back on the cards.

The MCG playing surface is just far too large for rugby & soccer. Unbelievable for afl

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Homebush is actually better to watch rectangular than both of those stadiums (& i'm a victorian). Plus I think if we win it with 6 years up our sleeves the redevelopment could be put back on the cards.

The MCG playing surface is just far too large for rugby & soccer. Unbelievable for afl
Couldn’t think of anything worse than a final at ANZ. If you want a stadium in a traditional area go to Suncorp.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Suncorp is out of the equation for semi finals onwards. Not big enough.

It will be whatever they call Stadium Australia to host a semi final (perhaps 2) and the final.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Suncorp is out of the equation for semi finals onwards. Not big enough.

It will be whatever they call Stadium Australia to host a semi final (perhaps 2) and the final.

My guess is semi's at Suncorp & Marvel or the g & the final at Homebush.

I still remember being at the dome for the 01 Lions test & Ireland pool game in 03 what games they both were.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
My guess is semi's at Suncorp & Marvel or the g & the final at Homebush.

I still remember being at the dome for the 01 Lions test & Ireland pool game in 03 what games they both were.
God no would sooner have the semi at any other ground in Australia Marvel is terrible

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Anyone here have an understanding of the financial windfall (read net profit post completion) the ARU expect to receive post hosting RWC 2027? (Assuming we win it of course...) Have seen plenty about the total economic boost for Aust (which will be massive.. after attending RWC in Japan myself I can confirm that the spending per visitor is huge..) Interested to see what size the ARU golden egg is expected to be.

it’s hard to gauge, the rules changed for RWC hosting after 2003 when ARU made a massive windfall, previously it was a profit sharing system but now the host unions have to pay a massive upfront hosting fee. Profits earned by recent hosts like NZRU and RFU was significantly less, in the sphere of $10-15million compared to the $45 million ARU received back in 2003. Japan witness a jump with the JFRU pocketing around $60million in profits.

It depends on the size of the hosting fee demanded by World Rugby, it will be around $250million and RA have asked the government to guarantee that figure. So ticket sales need to cover the hosting fee, operational costs, clean stadium costs etc.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
A big part of hosting the RWC is that the stadiums be clean of sponsorship, it’s a costly process and might also sway Stadium selection.l

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
A big part of hosting the RWC is that the stadiums be clean of sponsorship, it’s a costly process and might also sway Stadium selection.l
If WR (World Rugby) & the RWC does the same thing that soccer does they'd select the stadiums with current sponsorship names and have them revert to their original name.

CommBank Stadium - Western Sydney Stadium
Suncorp Stadium - Lang Park etc.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If WR (World Rugby) & the RWC does the same thing that soccer does they'd select the stadiums with current sponsorship names and have them revert to their original name.

CommBank Stadium - Western Sydney Stadium
Suncorp Stadium - Lang Park etc.
Yes they do exactly that, but it costs a lot of money to have them revert to their original names. They have to pay a penalty fee for dropping the name and removing all signage.

If in this circumstance Marvel Stadium will cost $10million for a ‘clean stadium’ then they might just boycott the stadium altogether

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes they do exactly that, but it costs a lot of money to have them revert to their original names. They have to pay a penalty fee for dropping the name and removing all signage.

If in this circumstance Marvel Stadium will cost $10million for a ‘clean stadium’ then they might just boycott the stadium altogether
Probably harder to do at other venues than what Coopers Stadium here in Adelaide does but whenever that ground hosts an event like the Asian Champions League or an international game all they do is put black tape over the Coopers part of the signage.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

it’s generally part of the bid / negotiation with state govt.

These are the games on offer, tell us which clean stadiums you’ll give us, how much money you’ll give us and how you’ll promote our event. It’s a fairly cookie cutter approach for all major multi stadium events in Oz.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
it’s generally part of the bid / negotiation with state govt.

These are the games on offer, tell us which clean stadiums you’ll give us, how much money you’ll give us and how you’ll promote our event. It’s a fairly cookie cutter approach for all major multi stadium events in Oz.
‘Generally’ because the state governments own or are a major stakeholder in most Australian stadiums. I mentioned Marvel Stadium in particular because it’s privately owned by the AFL.

John O’Neill said it cost them $14million to hire Stadium Australia as a clean stadium in 2003

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
‘Generally’ because the state governments own or major stakeholder in most Australian stadiums. I mentioned Marvel Stadium in particular because it’s privately owned by the AFL.

John O’Neill said it cost them $14million to hire Stadium Australia as a clean stadium in 2003

which is why I don't think they'll go to Marvel. They are negotiating with the states / territories directly for the better deal. If Vic want to put forward Marvel, it will be up to them to deliver as per hosting documents.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The 2003 RWC is surely a pretty good guide.

Two quarter finals each at Docklands and Lang Park.

Semi finals at Stadium Australia and Lang Park.

Final and 3rd vs 4th at Stadium Australia.

You could certainly see the new Perth Stadium figuring somewhere in there plus potentially the new Sydney Football Stadium for a quarter final.

I think you'd get very short odds of the final being at Stadium Australia.