• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

The news comes as Australia’s credibility as a host nation hangs in the balance. The Herald can reveal that with a little more than two months before the World Rugby Council votes to award hosting rights, RA has not yet secured a federal government funding commitment worth about $120 million.

The governing body has locked in a similar amount in state government funding but is yet to receive a commitment from Canberra. A federal government source indicated the Morrison Government was supportive of the bid but potentially not at the price RA was asking.
“We’re no lay down misère to get the World Cup; we have to secure it first and that’s done by working with our state and federal governments, so the next few months is crucial in ensuring that we actually get the tournament here,” Kearns said.
RA has compiled a list of more than 80 regional towns and cities that could play host to World Cup teams during the tournament or for pre-tournament staging camps if Australia is awarded the hosting rights to the world’s third biggest international sporting event.

The regions will be linked with art, food and wine trails, with renowned Archibald prize-winning artist Ben Quilty enlisted to help showcase the country’s rich Indigenous art traditions. In a similar vein to New Zealand’s successful 2011 World Cup, which showcased the country’s food, wine and culture, the plans are an effort to maximise an expected $2.5 billion tourism injection from the seven-week tournament. Modelling indicates 240,000 people will arrive on Australian shores, a figure bid advisory director and Qantas executive Olivia Wirth translated as “400 full A380s”.

I really hope we can secure the cup but articles like this worry me.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
1646257877971.png

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah I don't think WR (World Rugby) would be seen as very credible if they awarded it to Russia!
Just impossible to do at the moment, although the UK has been a major combatant in many conflicts over the last 20 years and still hosted the World Cup

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Not sure our bid 'hangs in the balance' considering we are pretty much running unopposed.

Sure there are a few things that still need to fall into place, but with an election campaign just around the corner I'd say this is all just a sly attempt by RA to pressure the feds and Labor into making a $$$ commitment.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The only real threat to our bid at this stage would be another home nations bid swooping in to 'save' the tournament in trying times, but that would stir all sorts of shit between the major rugby nations and I'm not sure that they'd be willing to go that far.

The biggest issue for us with regards to the amount of government backing is it likely impacts the size of the private equity deal we can negotiate once we're awarded the world cup.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There's a Federal Election coming up. I would hope that we will be promised the funding, hopefully by both the major parties.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not sure our bid 'hangs in the balance' considering we are pretty much running unopposed.

Sure there are a few things that still need to fall into place, but with an election campaign just around the corner I'd say this is all just a sly attempt by RA to pressure the feds and Labor into making a $$$ commitment.
Awefully nonchalant about a hundred $million guarantee

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nobody really believes the cup balance hangs in the balance do they? This has got Hamish written all over it, he is breilliant at using the press to try and get things going RA's way. That is not a criticism of him, quite the opposite, but he has experience in the advertising world doesn't he, so knows how to stretch the truth a little.
It obviously putting pressure on Morrison and co to hurry up and cough up the cash. Bet it works too! ;)

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Still, the Government should quit wasting time and commit to the bid and then some. AFL, League have got way more cash than us for stadiums and development (even on a per capita basis), than us over the past 30 years and it's only fair that we get some support. Richard Colbeck should pull his head out of his arse and fund it immediately. The array of Liberal MP (Moana Pasifika) rugby supporters should also apply pressure, including the PM himself

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Serious question: why is government funding required for staging a World Cup, other than ensuring that the required infrastructure is in place to host (obvious stuff like transportation and modern stadia). Do we not have the facilities in each major population centre already?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Serious question: why is government funding required for staging a World Cup, other than ensuring that the required infrastructure is in place to host (obvious stuff like transportation and modern stadia). Do we not have the facilities in each major population centre already?

Significant funding required over the next few years for both working through the bid and then in the planning and implementation.

RA doesn't get any return until they can start selling tickets.

Likewise, like any major event, the government(s) do very well out of the tourism etc. so part of it is essentially government investment into firstly winning the hosting rights and secondly, ensuring it does bring in as many tourists as possible.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Significant funding required over the next few years for both working through the bid and then in the planning and implementation.

RA doesn't get any return until they can start selling tickets.

Likewise, like any major event, the government(s) do very well out of the tourism etc. so part of it is essentially government investment into firstly winning the hosting rights and secondly, ensuring it does bring in as many tourists as possible.

Yes and no, the government guarantee is required primarily because thats what World Rugby now charge for hosting the bid, and WR (World Rugby) want it 100% guaranteed by the government since that fee isn’t paid until the tournament is played out.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Nobody really believes the cup balance hangs in the balance do they? This has got Hamish written all over it, he is breilliant at using the press to try and get things going RA's way. That is not a criticism of him, quite the opposite, but he has experience in the advertising world doesn't he, so knows how to stretch the truth a little.
It obviously putting pressure on Morrison and co to hurry up and cough up the cash. Bet it works too! ;)
I can see what you're trying to do there. ;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez I not sure why you so defensive mate, I said and genuinely believe Hamish does this well, it's not in anyway a criticism of him. I didn't think I said he said it , but it's got him written all over it. Since he has taken over RA has learnt to use the pwoer of the press to get their point of view across, and I wish NZR had some that did same. I really feel sorry for you that even saying he does well is even seen as getting at him.
Or maybe you really think that Australia are in danger of losing the WC :rolleyes: , and if you do, I have a golden investment opportunity for you,just email me your bank account details and I wil lmake sue I have got you first class tickets to whichever country the 27 WC is played in;):D