• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
It's taken the Ref, TMO and Touchies over an hour to opine, but the facts are:

- Direct contact with the head
- With force
- no mitigating circumstances

definitely a red. That's him for the game, just don't send on Paddy Ryan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And if tickets are that expensive, times the approx. 20,000 extra viewer capacity at somewhere like the MCG, that’s a shit tonne of extra profit vs Sydney or Perth too.

Mostly what we want is for the NSW and Victorian governments to go crazy bidding against each other to host the final.

Ultimately I think the MCG would be a great venue for the final (and I'm in Sydney). People would travel and it is a great city for a spectacle sporting event with all the festivities surrounding the actual event.

Sydney would still be the favourite I think. The NSW government is also unlikely to be happy to lose what would be considered traditional events for Sydney to host (major league and union events).

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Mostly what we want is for the NSW and Victorian governments to go crazy bidding against each other to host the final.

Ultimately I think the MCG would be a great venue for the final (and I'm in Sydney). People would travel and it is a great city for a spectacle sporting event with all the festivities surrounding the actual event.

Sydney would still be the favourite I think. The NSW government is also unlikely to be happy to lose what would be considered traditional events for Sydney to host (major league and union events).
Well the Vic government has already stated they want it and the Andrews government is the most anti Sydney government I have seen in Vic

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well the Vic government has already stated they want it and the Andrews government is the most anti Sydney government I have seen in Vic

Ideally in the interim, Queensland will win a bid for the NRL Grand Final and then the NSW Government will be massively incentivised not to miss out on the RWC Final and will bid hard.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It's a shit of a place to get to. And it's a shit of a place when you get there. Look, to each his own. I'll not be travelling interstate for those facilities all the same.
I was last in Sydney around the time of the 2000 Olympics and went to events with 100000+ people at the original designed Stadium and found it really easy to get to, there was a train station at the Olympic precinct that made travel really easy.

What has changed? Is the train station gone? Is the issue about the time to get there, or the lack of transport options?

From memory, wasn't the stadium close to the geographical centre of the greater Sydney area so equally accessible to everyone?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I was last in Sydney around the time of the 2000 Olympics and went to events with 100000+ people at the original designed Stadium and found it really easy to get to, there was a train station at the Olympic precinct that made travel really easy.

What has changed? Is the train station gone? Is the issue about the time to get there, or the lack of transport options?

From memory, wasn't the stadium close to the geographical centre of the greater Sydney area so equally accessible to everyone?
Probably 22 years of urban development or 27 years by the WC adding congestion

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Geographical centre but not serviced by infrastructure, no nightlife nearby etc

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The station is still there. Trains for events still run as they have always done. There's no pubs in the immediate vicinity so according to some that makes it tough to get to. It's actually quite accessible.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The station is still there. Trains for events still run as they have always done. There's no pubs in the immediate vicinity so according to some that makes it tough to get to. It's actually quite accessible.

Not everyone wants to travel by train. Car parking is a nightmare. You can park off site, from one of the suburban train stations, and walk in. Quite a distance and pita going home.

If you use the train system, it is pretty organised for shifting heap of bodies. Who allele up at central at the same time and still have to get home. Forget cabs or Uber. For that matter, try getting a cab or uber at the venue. Nope.

So, then look to hang around as all of that dissipates, checking out the entertainment/pub options through the area itself. What is there is limited, not really permanent facilities, lock out gates and a nightmare to get served as they boom out door door with little or no variation in the offer.

It is utterly different to say, SFS or Lang Park where options abound.

Then add in the venue - stadium built around circular park so no-one is particularly close to the action. Bring a pair of binoculars, or you'll be watching the screen. Which is easier and a lot more comfortable to do from home.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
There are also plenty of event buses that come to the precinct from all parts of Sydney on game days with the cost included in the ticket price. Not that difficult to be honest. Plenty of parking, train at the doorstep and event buses make it fairly simple to get there and leave. Not the greatest viewing venue, but access isn't the problem it's made out to be.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah - it's at least two trains for the majority of Sydney. Plus large swathes of Sydney aren't serviced by trains at all meaning you are looking at a bus and a train minimum.

Combine that with a very large crowd and it's a fucking nightmare.

At least with the SFS you can pub crawl your way there and back from the City (which actually is accessible to all). Or get in a bit early and go out for dinner first.

Reality is Sydney infrastructure is geared towards the city and despite having a single station Homebush is still basically in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: dru

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Nah - it's at least two trains for the majority of Sydney. Plus large swathes of Sydney aren't serviced by trains at all meaning you are looking at a bus and a train minimum.

Combine that with a very large crowd and it's a fucking nightmare.

At least with the SFS you can pub crawl your way there and back from the City (which actually is accessible to all). Or get in a bit early and go out for dinner first.

Reality is Sydney infrastructure is geared towards the city and despite having a single station Homebush is still basically in the middle of nowhere.
Most people not served by trains are catching an event bus direct there, they cover most of the metro area and work really well.

And whilst the viewing's not great, it's still a pretty spectacular place when full, or with >60K people there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Most people not served by trains are catching an event bus direct there, they cover most of the metro area and work really well.

And whilst the viewing's not great, it's still a pretty spectacular place when full, or with >60K people there.
Yeah - last time I caught an event bus from Forestville it took 1.5 hours to get there due to the traffic. Even worse.

Its shit. There's no way around it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

For God's sake, full circle so you can agree with where this started.
It's a shit of a place to get to. And it's a shit of a place when you get there. Look, to each his own. I'll not be travelling interstate for those facilities all the same.

Agreed that different folk will have different thoughts. Some not being positive. Crumbs.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
1653017557684.png