• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Herbert’s response to Snore.

“ We have gone through this bloodletting for a long, long time,” Herbert said. “The article I read this morning I think I have probably read about 10 times over the last decade. There are always these little groups of agitators who tend to pop up in our game and this is no different.

You understand they wait for the opportunity when things don’t pan out. They very rarely offer any viable solution but just want to throw a lot of mud.

The overarching thing for me with any of these types of things that occur is: why, if you love a game and you support a game, would you go publicly and do something like that? That doesn’t serve to protect or enhance the reputation or the interests of the game?

And then it’s just the hypocrisy, of some of the people involved, annoys me as well. Some of these people have been involved in the administration and made some of the mistakes, going back some way. It’s very easy now to sit on the outside and throw stones in. It is more self than it is game.”

Though tension exists with some state unions and RA leadership, there does not appear an appetite among the member unions to spill the Rugby Australia board, according to state sources with knowledge of the matter, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Stooke and Marks were part of a National Technical Advisory Committee put together in 2020 by former RA chairman Hamish McLennan, to advise on coaching and pathway matters. Other members included Nick Farr-Jones, Bob Dwyer and Roger Gould, but with little engagement with RA, some members exited in early 2023, and the rest resigned this year.

Herbert said while he respected the members of group, he’d given “direct and honest” feedback after taking over as RA chair that the committee needed more diversity, with no professional experience among the members and no women.

“And there were a few other things as well. I had that conversation and that wasn’t taken particularly well,” he said. “Sometimes people see themselves as the solution and if you don’t share that same point of view then sometimes they don’t like that.”

Asked why he and CEO Phil Waugh should be trusted to lead the game given they were on the board that made a call to sack Dave Rennie, hire Eddie Jones and sign Joseph Sua'ali'i on a huge contract, Herbert indicated there had been dissenting views and McLennan was in the driving seat.

What I would say is you don’t always get your way. There are always divergent views on a board or in a selection committee and whatever decision is ultimately taken you have to move forward with that,” he said.

There was certainly strong debate over a lot of those decisions but going back to the change that came about in November, what drove that and remembering what was said by the member unions: lost trust, the chair (McLennan) acting outside of his role with undue influence and judgement, and player poaching of players from another code, were things that I also agreed with.”

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

“ We have gone through this bloodletting for a long, long time,” Herbert said. “The article I read this morning I think I have probably read about 10 times over the last decade. There are always these little groups of agitators who tend to pop up in our game and this is no different.

You understand they wait for the opportunity when things don’t pan out. They very rarely offer any viable solution but just want to throw a lot of mud.

The overarching thing for me with any of these types of things that occur is: why, if you love a game and you support a game, would you go publicly and do something like that? That doesn’t serve to protect or enhance the reputation or the interests of the game?

And then it’s just the hypocrisy, of some of the people involved, annoys me as well. Some of these people have been involved in the administration and made some of the mistakes, going back some way. It’s very easy now to sit on the outside and throw stones in. It is more self than it is game.”

Though tension exists with some state unions and RA leadership, there does not appear an appetite among the member unions to spill the Rugby Australia board, according to state sources with knowledge of the matter, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Stooke and Marks were part of a National Technical Advisory Committee put together in 2020 by former RA chairman Hamish McLennan, to advise on coaching and pathway matters. Other members included Nick Farr-Jones, Bob Dwyer and Roger Gould, but with little engagement with RA, some members exited in early 2023, and the rest resigned this year.

Herbert said while he respected the members of group, he’d given “direct and honest” feedback after taking over as RA chair that the committee needed more diversity, with no professional experience among the members and no women.

“And there were a few other things as well. I had that conversation and that wasn’t taken particularly well,” he said. “Sometimes people see themselves as the solution and if you don’t share that same point of view then sometimes they don’t like that.”

Asked why he and CEO Phil Waugh should be trusted to lead the game given they were on the board that made a call to sack Dave Rennie, hire Eddie Jones and sign Joseph Sua'ali'i on a huge contract, Herbert indicated there had been dissenting views and McLennan was in the driving seat.

What I would say is you don’t always get your way. There are always divergent views on a board or in a selection committee and whatever decision is ultimately taken you have to move forward with that,” he said.

There was certainly strong debate over a lot of those decisions but going back to the change that came about in November, what drove that and remembering what was said by the member unions: lost trust, the chair (McLennan) acting outside of his role with undue influence and judgement, and player poaching of players from another code, were things that I also agreed with.”
Blunt. Like.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
“The article I read this morning I think I have probably read about 10 times over the last decade. There are always these little groups of agitators who tend to pop up in our game and this is no different.

I feel like I've read the same article written by the same person three times this year!
Again: the article on The Roar states they want people with financial acumen.

And then Stooke is part of that group.

Give me strength.

You don't think he's the sort of... firepower Rugby Australia need right now?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I see your point, however the current board have been around for many years, it could be argued the "demanding time" as you put it has been a result of their work.

I'm doing "my best" all the time, and that often is a let down for Mrs Pone
HA! nice one. I am not so concerned about the board as they are only one vote among several but the CEO, Chairman and President.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

Stooke and Marks were part of a National Technical Advisory Committee put together in 2020 by former RA chairman Hamish McLennan, to advise on coaching and pathway matters. Other members included Nick Farr-Jones, Bob Dwyer and Roger Gould, but with little engagement with RA, some members exited in early 2023, and the rest resigned this year--------
So basically a group of Old Boys whining about another group of Old Boys, meanwhile.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So basically a group of Old Boys whining about another group of Old Boys, meanwhile.

Unfortunately, you have to go to war with the Old Boys that you have, not the ones you want. There is little choice here from my perspective, we get behind Waugh and Herbert. And try to proceed in a unified manner.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But are they the right people, Dru? We don't want to go to war with the wrong people and see our position deteriorating. Or is it better to let more time go by to see how they perform? Just keep our powder dry atm?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
But are they the right people, Dru? We don't want to go to war with the wrong people and see our position deteriorating. Or is it better to let more time go by to see how they perform? Just keep our powder dry atm?

BR - I just worry that we have hit bottom, seriously bottom. I have no idea where things go from here or how effective our tools are for the job (I have my suspiscions). But we just have to stop self-damage.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Again: the article on The Roar states they want people with financial acumen.

And then Stooke is part of that group.

Give me strength.
Before Making off the cuff remarks you should do some research first into the people you are trying to discredit:

Geoff is the Managing Director of Standard Wool Investments Pty Ltd (previously Standard Wool Australia Pty Ltd). He has held the position since 1996 and during that time the company moved from being one of Australia’s largest integrated wool brokering, exporting and processing companies to a business with its activities mainly related to property, development and investments. He has previously held senior positions in the fishing, food and resources industries and his early career was as a commissioned officer in the Australian Regular Army – this included service in Australia and overseas.
In addition to his directorship with Standard Wool Investments Pty Ltd, he also holds the following directorships:
President of the WAPCYC
Chairman (and Shareholder) of Troppus IT & Management Services Pty Ltd
Chairman of the Arra Group (majority Indigenous owned labour hire & contracting company)
President of Reabold Tennis Club (Inc)
Advisory Board Member of Rekon Group
His past directorships include:
Director of Australian Rugby Union Limited- 5 years (resigned August 2017)
Chairman of RugbyWA/Western Force – 23 years (retired March 2011)
Director of the Australian Wool Exchange (peak industry body for wool in Australia) – 9 years
Director of Australian Council of Wool Exporters – 9 years
Director of the Australian Sports Commission – 3 years
Chairman of WA Rock Lobster & Prawning Association – 2 years
Director of WA Fishing Industry Council – 3 years
He is a fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management.
Outside of work his main interests are sport related. He trains daily at a health club and plays golf and tennis all year round. However, his main sport is rugby union and he has played, administered and coached at national, provincial and club levels. He is currently Patron of RugbyWA. He was a grinder on Kookaburra in the 1987 America’s Cup Defence and he is Patron of the RAE Association (WA), with his main involvement being the welfare needs of RAE ex-service personnel.
His honours and awards include Medal of the Order of Australia, Australian Sports Medal, Centenary Medal and in 2006 he was the WA Citizen of the Year in the category of Sport.

His Rugby background:

Geoffrey Stooke is a prominent name in RugbyWA's history. From captaining Associates RUFC to serving as the Chairman of the Western Australian Rugby Union Board for 23 years, we reflect over a few milestones, including WA winning the bid in 2004 for Australia’s fourth Super Rugby team.
I arrived in Perth in April 1975, after playing grade and representative rugby in the eastern states and PNG from 1965 to 1974. I played grade rugby in Sydney, Melbourne, Port Moresby, Townsville and Wagga. Representative rugby included the Australian Combined Services, PNG, Qld Country, Qld Services and NSW Services.
Upon arrival in Perth I joined the Associates Club as 1st Grade Captain/Coach and from 1975 to 2019 I played 709 grade games for Associates, including 192 games in 1st Grade. In addition to playing, I was an active coach at the club over various grades through to 2015.
From 1975 to 1983 I represented WA as a player and at different times also coached the WA team, the WA Under 21 team and the WA Schoolboy team.
From 1988 to 2011 I was Chairman of WARU/RugbyWA /Western Force, and this included WA winning the bid in 2004 for Australia’s fourth Super Rugby team. The team made its debut in the competition on 10 February 2006. An exciting and proud day for all the WA rugby community!
From 2012 to 2017 I was on the board of the ARU (now RA) but resigned when the Western Force was removed from the Super Rugby Competition.
In 1999 I was awarded an OAM for services to rugby and in 2006 was the WA Citizen of the Year in the Category of Sport. In 2022 I was awarded an AM for services to rugby, sport administration, business, and the community. Also, I am privileged to have been made a Life Patron of RugbyWA, a Life Member of RugbyWA and a Life Member of Associates RUFC.
Rugby in WA, at a club and state level, have been a huge part of my life since I moved here in 1975. It has provided me with outstanding experiences and many friends. I am very fortunate and feel I was lucky enough to participate in an era when the camaraderie associated with rugby was at its best.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
SOARR: Get rid of the bankers, financiers, and professional board operatives!
Also SOARR:
Geoff is the Managing Director of Standard Wool Investments Pty Ltd (previously Standard Wool Australia Pty Ltd). He has held the position since 1996 and during that time the company moved from being one of Australia’s largest integrated wool brokering, exporting and processing companies to a business with its activities mainly related to property, development and investments. He has previously held senior positions in the fishing, food and resources industries and his early career was as a commissioned officer in the Australian Regular Army – this included service in Australia and overseas.
In addition to his directorship with Standard Wool Investments Pty Ltd, he also holds the following directorships:
President of the WAPCYC
Chairman (and Shareholder) of Troppus IT & Management Services Pty Ltd
Chairman of the Arra Group (majority Indigenous owned labour hire & contracting company)
President of Reabold Tennis Club (Inc)
Advisory Board Member of Rekon Group
His past directorships include:
Director of Australian Rugby Union Limited- 5 years (resigned August 2017)
Chairman of RugbyWA/Western Force – 23 years (retired March 2011)
Director of the Australian Wool Exchange (peak industry body for wool in Australia) – 9 years
Director of Australian Council of Wool Exporters – 9 years
Director of the Australian Sports Commission – 3 years
Chairman of WA Rock Lobster & Prawning Association – 2 years
Director of WA Fishing Industry Council – 3 years
He is a fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Before Making off the cuff remarks you should do some research first into the people you are trying to discredit:

Before getting all uppity, you might want to acknowledge the fraud. Guess Geoff left that out of his Fabulous Bio you pasted with such righteous disregard.