• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
I still believe creating a proper rugby comp with these schools is imperative for the game.

Some of the rhetoric online ive been seeing around the wallabies, people saying they don't care about it cause its a private school game. Or even some people taking glee in the wallabies woes cause its "a game for toffs" etc.
League propaganda

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I still believe creating a proper rugby comp with these schools is imperative for the game.

Some of the rhetoric online ive been seeing around the wallabies, people saying they don't care about it cause its a private school game. Or even some people taking glee in the wallabies woes cause its "a game for toffs" etc.

Yeah that shits me too

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Raiwalui finishing up with Fiji at the end of the year:

Seems like he's pretty keen to spend more time with his family after spending a lot of time away from them in Fiji the last 4 years. Assuming that means he's coming back to Australia I hope someone in Australian rugby is reaching out to see if we have a role for him.
Absolutely. He was part of Cheika’s coaching group if I recall correctly

half

Alan Cameron (40)
After conducting some research on rugby-playing schools around New South Wales, it doesn't appear to be as dire as people often claim.

However, the crucial aspect is to draw attention and raise awareness about these schools and channel their potential into a force for a statewide competition. Regarding the current Waratah Shield, there seems to be a lack of information about the early rounds of the competition. How are we supposed to overcome the private school stigma if it's not advertised?

Furthermore, there are numerous smaller private schools and public high schools on the Northern Beaches participating in lesser-known rugby competitions.

It's perplexing to me how the Western Force Schools' competition manages to gain more publicity than the current Waratah Shield. Many schools in rural areas still field rugby union teams, and the Central Coast region is particularly strong in this regard.

I plan to delve deeper into this topic later, but what are people's thoughts? We need to promote these schools across all channels. I'll outline how this should be accomplished in the near future.

I'm also confident that with some support from the Waratahs, some of those all-boys Catholic schools can be encouraged to participate in the Waratah Shield. What do you think about this idea?

A school teacher client of mine told me what he understands to be the biggest school competition in Australia, was started in Newcastle like way way way back. Its grown from a few schools around Newcastle to over 850 schools.

Its called the "Bill Turner Cup [boys] and Trophy [girls]", if you are looking for a model its not bad, the key seems to be to get a number of schools within an area, and then kept expanding the area size. Heaps of grammar schools play as do heaps of smaller private schools, as well as heaps of state schools,

Lots on the net about its history rules and success, however any code could copy and adopt the systems.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
A school teacher client of mine told me what he understands to be the biggest school competition in Australia, was started in Newcastle like way way way back. Its grown from a few schools around Newcastle to over 850 schools.

Its called the "Bill Turner Cup [boys] and Trophy [girls]", if you are looking for a model its not bad, the key seems to be to get a number of schools within an area, and then kept expanding the area size. Heaps of grammar schools play as do heaps of smaller private schools, as well as heaps of state schools,

Lots on the net about its history rules and success, however any code could copy and adopt the systems.
My high school was in the Bill Turner Cup when I was there 25 years ago, didn't do brilliantly, kept getting smashed by the Bowral and Bathurst teams.

I wasn't the most athletic guy growing up so never played, I kind of regret it now

half

Alan Cameron (40)
My high school was in the Bill Turner Cup when I was there 25 years ago, didn't do brilliantly, kept getting smashed by the Bowral and Bathurst teams.

I wasn't the most athletic guy growing up so never played, I kind of regret it now
Up until a couple of years ago I had never heard of it. Not something that springs to mind that get lots of media. But 850 schools across three states and the ACT is impressive.

BTW no idea if this is true, as its what my high school teacher client told me, so take it with a grain of salt. But he [teacher] said he believes they are the most sort after school team sporting trophies across all schools from grammar to state schools.

That aside its a very simple formula

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh boy...

The Herald stands by our report. We are perplexed by how Jones can deny having any discussions with Japan – particularly when his track record has shown you can’t trust what he says.

For weeks, he had taken umbrage at questions about loyalty and fudged answers until finally using the doorstop interview to deploy his self-justifying blokey wit. Meanwhile, Rugby Australia had been noticeably reticent about the increasingly problematic coach.

Surely, it would have been a simple matter for the administration to contact the Japanese and ask if our national coach was being poached or had been hawking his wares? After all, there is a new openness between the rugby nations – only last July Rugby Australia and the Japan Rugby Football Union signed a landmark memorandum of understanding to build a stronger relationship between the two unions, develop national teams, competitions, players, staff, and the sport of rugby in each nation.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

It's a great idea and should be pushed. Say if in NSW for example you use the Waratah Shield. You don't have to include the GPS, CAS & ISA comps. You can run the Waratah Shield as a place Schools can play and win games and I would use it to pick rep sides to play the rep sides of the GPS, CAS & ISA.

Get them selected off the back of performance and not who filled out the selection trial permission slip to play for CHS or CCC as they have really dropped off even being remotely competitive.

The private schools want to win their association premiership more than anything. They use to send in a side of 3rds or less to the Waratah Shield. It's how Eddies built their reputation because they took it seriously.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Raiwalui finishing up with Fiji at the end of the year:

Seems like he's pretty keen to spend more time with his family after spending a lot of time away from them in Fiji the last 4 years. Assuming that means he's coming back to Australia I hope someone in Australian rugby is reaching out to see if we have a role for him.
confirmed already that his next job is not RA or Aus super related

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He'll have plenty of offers. Do half a year in Japan for the next decade and come back and relax or go to France?

Hell, there would be plenty of Private Schools willing to give him and a decent salary like Brian Smith.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)

I teach at a state high school in Toowoomba and we play in the Bill Turner cup every year. It is for Under 15 teams, boys and girls. We play against other state and private schools in Toowoomba and then have a regional play-off against Warwick/Stanthorpe winners. They then go to a play-off against Brisbane west and so on. A few years ago Toowoomba Grammar made the national final and this year Ipswich Grammar did, so it is well entrenched in the GPS schools.
Our seniors play in the SSI/Red Lion Cup, which is not as prestigious but is always competitive and has most state and private schools.
The first round up here is played as a gala day at a neutral venue with heaps of ovals, pools of four playing three 30 minute games, then there are cross pool semi-finals played at the schools that topped their pools.
But up here Darling Downs Rugby Union are very pro-active and run a 15 a side competition for smaller (ie not TGS or Downlands) or non-rugby schools. There are a state high schools and private schools plus St Mary's, which is a huge rugby league school, that take part.
And in term 4 there is a massive weekly 7s competition for all schools, including TGS and Downlands, which is really well supported. These are for boys and girls.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Think it'll be the private school route with his desire to stay with his kids who are too old to be relocating.
Yeah, given his desire to spend more time with family I certainly wasn't expecting anything at a wallabies level. There is plenty of value having him in Australian rugby at any level though, whether that's schools or club setup. A lot of room for him to be further involved down the road too, particularly if he's going into schools coaching initially. Could be a real asset in age grade/pathways coaching.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
We cannot sustain 5 teams because they’re not consistently competitive with NZ teams and never will be whilst we have current set up.

Getting beaten all the time flows into lots of things - confidence and belief of players, confidence and belief of the public and cohesion at national level.

We will continue to see wallaby teams play like they’ve just been introduced to each other unless we go back to 3 teams.

I feel for Melbourne and the Force but selfishly for the good of Australian rugby, this is the key first decision that must be made for the good of the game and the strength of the national team.

There is not enough cattle to feed 5 franchises and be competitive. There is enough talent for 3 strong teams and if players head overseas, then they weren’t good enough to be selected.

Going back to a meritocracy is the best thing to happen to state rugby. ACT, WA and VIC will still produce the odd player of note but will be imported teams otherwise.

A strong wallabies will feed into all levels of rugby. There is a direct correlation of our demise with the super rugby expansion.

The second thing to do is more rugby for all elite and potential elite players. More touring visits and hosting of touring teams, more possibles v probables, and more national second tier competition complemented with club comps.
Here we go again. What a load of shit