• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Is the Olympic Funding 100% guaranteed? I see some news outlets trying to push whether the Opposition may look to withdraw from 2032 as an election strategy and reallocate costs to health and property infrastructure.
I for one hope they pull out, but doubt they will. The Olympics are very quickly losing there luster, and can easily see it leaving a nice $Multi Billion debt for the taxpayer all for a two week spectacle.

For starters there is nothing wrong with the Gabba, its a great ground for cricket & footy and you could easily spend say 2/300 $million to upgrade and you have something purpose built for another 20 years, maybe fix up the trains & Hospitals first ffs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I for one hope they pull out, but doubt they will. The Olympics are very quickly losing there luster, and can easily see it leaving a nice $Multi Billion debt for the taxpayer all for a two week spectacle.

For starters there is nothing wrong with the Gabba, its a great ground for cricket & footy and you could easily spend say 2/300 $million to upgrade and you have something purpose built for another 20 years, maybe fix up the trains & Hospitals first ffs.
The Olympics never breaks even. They reckon Sydney was the first Olympics to ever achieve the feat but there was probably some number fudging involved in that claim.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The Olympics never breaks even. They reckon Sydney was the first Olympics to ever achieve the feat but there was probably some number fudging involved in that claim.
And look at the big f----g white elephant that left them, the new Gabba is predicted at $2.7 Billion. So if its built will probably cost around $4 Billion, great just what we need in Brisbane.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
And look at the big f----g white elephant that left them, the new Gabba is predicted at $2.7 Billion. So if its built will probably cost around $4 Billion, great just what we need in Brisbane.
At least the Gabba isnt 40mins from town by train

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The Gabba rebuild definitely won’t be a white elephant, it will have its share of tenants committed between cricket and Aussie rules.

The issue with the Gabba is the exorbitant cost, if it was in line with initial forecast, there wouldn’t be this issue

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The Gabba rebuild definitely won’t be a white elephant, it will have its share of tenants committed between cricket and Aussie rules.

The issue with the Gabba is the exorbitant cost, if it was in line with initial forecast, there wouldn’t be this issue
You would hope not, but when was the last time a project of this size came in at the initial forecast. Where do you draw the line, I'm sure the AFL are more than happy, I mean how can they lose.
One of the last hold outs, but hey we just got a $4 billion stadium.
The RA aren't even spectators anymore.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
There’s a huge push going on here in Brisbane for the ROAR to get a multi million dollar upgrade of Perry Park.

whilst I do enjoy watching football/soccer I find these fans to be unreasonable of the sporting landscape… yes they are a world game, but so is rugby to a extent.

the world games will always struggle in Aussie rules/Rugby League heartland.

soccer and rugby should form some type of partnerships to counter the disgusting spending our politicians give to these Australian centric / no growth codes

No growth codes, you mean the code that's gonna get a $4 billion stadium come 2032 in rugby heartland, you think there hasn't been some pretty serious back office talk, coupled that with a juniors program that will probably see it rival league here for presence.

As for Rugby Union, ffs we'll still be debating the wonders of why Super rugby hasn't taken over the world with Asian & American conferences bound to start the year after.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
No growth codes, you mean the code that's gonna get a $4 billion stadium come 2032 in rugby heartland, you think there hasn't been some pretty serious back office talk, coupled that with a juniors program that will probably see it rival league here for presence.

As for Rugby Union, ffs we'll still be debating the wonders of why Super rugby hasn't taken over the world with Asian & American conferences bound to start the year after.

I said “no growth” codes in the same sentence when talking about “world games” rugby/soccer

have you ever wondered why we are so shit at rugby and soccer… it’s because our junior pathways push young prospects to these football codes that will never be successful outside of Australia.

Apologies if I didn’t explain that sentence better..

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
I said “no growth” codes in the same sentence when talking about “world games” rugby/soccer

have you ever wondered why we are so shit at rugby and soccer… it’s because our junior pathways push young prospects to these football codes that will never be successful outside of Australia.

Apologies if I didn’t explain that sentence better..
I don't think it's the pathways, it is the almighty dollar.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
The grant funding numbers paint a different picture - these were the funds distributed from the Feds to the football codes' organising bodies in FY23:
Football Australia: $11,050,450
Rugby Australia: $3,690,000
NRL: $206,000
AFL: Seemingly nil (that I could locate on the list)

This only considers grants directly from the Federal Govt. to the organisation, so excludes State grants and funding which has gone directly to schools. Numbers derived from here if you're interested: https://www.sportaus.gov.au/grants_and_funding/grant_funding_report

Not sure the NRL catagory - the the other money is predominantly around olympic or international participation

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure the NRL catagory - the the other money is predominantly around olympic or international participation
Yep - just pointing out that suggesting the Govt. is funnelling ridiculous sums into the NRL and AFL, while neglecting union and football, is plainly inaccurate. The inverse is, in fact, the truth. I've just had a look back through to FY18 and the funding pattern is pretty consistent.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep - just pointing out that suggesting the Govt. is funnelling ridiculous sums into the NRL and AFL, while neglecting union and football, is plainly inaccurate. The inverse is, in fact, the truth. I've just had a look back through to FY18 and the funding pattern is pretty consistent.

fed money right? Through the Sports Commission ? State level funding would be a different story.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'll try dig it up, i've done analysis on the level of government funding previously and NRL/AFL funding for facilities is enormous compared to other codes.

Over the past 5-10 years the NSW Govt has spent hundreds of $millions on NRL facilities & programs in recent years, they don't necessarily present as 'NRL Funding' as they obfuscate the funding by calling it 'community facility' grants & funding. Likewise the Vic Govt and AFL.

Rugby Union hasn't completely missed out, Waratahs received $25million for new facilities from NSW Govt, and likewise Reds received $30million from QLD/Fed Govt, and the funding from Vic Govt to the Rebels is a little murky as it seems partially done through state owned company corporate support. Although as a whole this pales in comparison to NRL & AFL.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
fed money right? Through the Sports Commission ? State level funding would be a different story.
Yep, flagged that in the initial response. The point being, there is still millions in Govt. funding being funnelled to RA and FFA

Edit: I should point out that I'm not suggesting RA and FFA are getting 'enough' or their fair share, especially compared to some of the figures Adam quotes, merely that the initial suggestion that rugby gets bugger all is not accurate.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Federal Governments don't care about spending billions on wasted and pointless effort.

Look at nuclear subs and stage 3 tax cuts.