• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Does anyone know how accurate this write up is? Don't know from here what The Australian is as far as a reputable paper etc. Obviously if true there are some huge problems , we have seen a bit of this in British rugby, Wales RU had to make some pretty hard decisions etc, and obviously we all know about clubs in England going tits up. Personally I go along with @Derpus (sorry to do that Derps) , but can't see how the Rebels and MP (Moana Pasifika) could gain anything by merger, except to maybe put to struggling clubs in same basket.
Is this going to be the stick that RA uses for a reason to cut a team or two?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What would be the point of a merger? Neither team has any fans and their reasons for existing at all are pretty dubious.
If we could get some sweet DFAT backing, play one game out in Samoa, stay in Melbourne for the rest of the time then I’m all for it. But beyond that fuck no.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
The Brumbies debt is $1 million to RA. Seems a lot of handwringing for a brick. Wonder how hard it would be for the Brumbies to pass the hat around ( I'm being serious here). Offer lifetime time memberships to 100 punters / corporates / sponsors who put in $10k.
I know Canberra is small but surely the would be $1 million that they could drum up if its as dire as the Aus says...

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
What would be the point of a merger? Neither team has any fans and their reasons for existing at all are pretty dubious.
Well that fits into the whole Super Rugby playbook then. exactly what is the point of its existence.

Reactions: dru

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Brumbies debt is $1 million to RA. Seems a lot of handwringing for a brick. Wonder how hard it would be for the Brumbies to pass the hat around ( I'm being serious here). Offer lifetime time memberships to 100 punters / corporates / sponsors who put in $10k.
I know Canberra is small but surely the would be $1 million that they could drum up if its as dire as the Aus says...
There's plenty of talk of private equity so I imagine they want to get that sorted before going down that path. It does shape as a bit of a storm in a tea cup compared to the tahs (5 million) and Rebels (9 million) having much larger debts to outside entities.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
As much as I have mixed feelings about this outfit, I would contribute.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If we could get some sweet DFAT backing, play one game out in Samoa, stay in Melbourne for the rest of the time then I’m all for it. But beyond that fuck no.

It’d give MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) a home ground I guess.

My understanding is that MP (Moana Pasifika) survives on NZ largess as a basically 6th NZ team badged as MP (Moana Pasifika). What chance NZ would would continue support if merged into Rebels and based in Melbourne? I can't see it. There was also World Rugby money, wasn't there? Melbourne/Vic Rugby may need to sort this out solo.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The current issue with Super Rugby (from an Australian perspective) is largely based around lack of engagement with our teams. Not sure how splicing the two newest teams together solves any of that. Hopefully it’s just a throw away idea.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There’s rarely been an example of joint venture or relocated teams been successful in any Australian code, at least in the short term.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh agree Adam.

Wests Tigers in the NRL come to mind. Won a premiership within 5 years of the merger, but aside from that have been largely irrelevant with heaps of administrative issues.

Also, I don’t think any merged Super Rugby team would have 5 years to find its feet before the axe swung. More like 2-3.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
My understanding is that MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) survives on NZ largess as a basically 6th NZ team badged as MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika). What chance NZ would would continue support if merged into Rebels and based in Melbourne? I can't see it. There was also World Rugby money, wasn't there? Melbourne/Vic Rugby may need to sort this out solo.
I was being tongue in cheek to be honest. Like you, I can’t see how a merger would work either.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeh agree Adam.

Wests Tigers in the NRL come to mind. Won a premiership within 5 years of the merger, but aside from that have been largely irrelevant with heaps of administrative issues.

Also, I don’t think any merged Super Rugby team would have 5 years to find its feet before the axe swung. More like 2-3.

I’ve lost track of the Tigers JV ness but I believe they’ve split since? Likewise Norths & Manly have split. And St George dropped the ‘Illawarra’ from their name years ago also.

Brisbane Bears & Fitzroy Lions won a Premiership 5 years after merger, on the back of significant salary cap dispensation and draft pick. Which rugby can’t/wont offer.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A drop to 4 Aus teams, whether or not self inflicted by the missing team, that would be just about enough for me. I'm not slightly interested in a "NZ + friends" Cup competition.

LevitatingSocks

Sydney Middleton (9)
The case for the Rebels existing seems a bit stronger for me than Moana Pacifika.

Keeping a professional franchise in Melbourne seems like a valuable part of establishing a beachhead for rugby there and maintaining a spot in the public consciousness. Will never approach the popularity of AFL there but there's no excuse not to try when the AFL is pushing teams in Brisbane, Western Sydney/Canberra, and Gold Coast.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’d give MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) a home ground I guess.
Yep I thought of that, but not sure that Melbourne who appear very uninterested in the game is worth taking them too? Also with what MP (Moana Pasifika) is about, I not sure how it could happen anyway.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep I thought of that, but not sure that Melbourne who appear very uninterested in the game is worth taking them too? Also with what MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) is about, I not sure how it could happen anyway.
Was just kidding really with my original post. At least we know where Melbourne will play their home games. Whereas it’s odd to me that MP (Moana Pasifika) plays a somewhat nomadic schedule in the north island of NZ, but are meant to represent the wider PI community. How good do the Drua games look in Suva? Surely a schedule with home games played in Samoa and Tonga, would be better for the franchise and those nations. So yeah, a merger isn’t a smart option for anyone involved