• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wonders aloud, what the plans are to reverse the doom thats is overhanging rugby today. I suppose centralised control sits within a broader framework, but looks like hhhhmmm what a circuit breaker, for what, and who will deliver the what.

Getting trend lines to reverser is a complex task especially within the existing media dominance of cricket, AFL & NRL, both netball and football also have there issues so don't see them as major issues.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Proposed questions if its behind a paywall.

Have you been speaking to Japan rugby officials or any third parties regarding the possibility of taking Japan’s head coach position? (I'd add in there "Have you or anyone in your team)

You are contracted to 2027 as head coach of the Wallabies. Do you intend to fulfil the full term of your contract?
(Seems like a dud question. You would until you don't due to an offer)

Do you have a release clause in your contract that would allow you to leave before 2027?

In 2015, you sat in Cape Town as newly-appointed head coach of the Stormers and told the media there was no truth to the rumour that you were off to coach England. You left shortly after. How can we trust you now if you deny you’re off to Japan?

Do you believe you have lost the trust of Rugby Australia and the Australian rugby public?

I wouldn't even ask this if you want a legit press conference. We'll get a mate-a-thon and its incendiary with what EJ (Eddie Jones) has shown us so far in his interactions with the media.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Wonders aloud, what the plans are to reverse the doom thats is overhanging rugby today. I suppose centralised control sits within a broader framework, but looks like hhhhmmm what a circuit breaker, for what, and who will deliver the what.

Getting trend lines to reverser is a complex task especially within the existing media dominance of cricket, AFL & NRL, both netball and football also have there issues so don't see them as major issues.
Errrr. Yes. The doom will be reversed when we start winning at provincial and national level.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

Sadly the self interest or self preservation of those involved in the game here at a professional level ensures that they do not have a plan to reverse the doom.
Centralization is just the latest buzz word to fix our rugby, while that is in play things just carry on, and when that fails it will be the next wonder coach or World Cup.
The game here is in a never ending cycle of finding the next best thing to fix our game, without ever facing the reality that is without a genuine domestic competition which can give the game the growth it so desperately needs, its just ground hog day.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sadly the self interest or self preservation of those involved in the game here at a professional level ensures that they do not have a plan to reverse the doom.
Centralization is just the latest buzz word to fix our rugby, while that is in play things just carry on, and when that fails it will be the next wonder coach or World Cup.
The game here is in a never ending cycle of finding the next best thing to fix our game, without ever facing the reality that is without a genuine domestic competition which can give the game the growth it so desperately needs, its just ground hog day.
Rugby's need to get us back on track is the same as last weekend's referendum. We need action now, not promises and committees and the actions that appear necessary are:
ID and hold rugby union players in schools
Ensure that the clubs are an extra feeder for Super Rugby
Expand the number of schools playing rugby and provide assistance to them
Ensure all the basics of passing/catching, tackling, scrummaging, lineout and breakdown are taught in schools and clubs.
ID young talent in athletics, AFL, failed RL youngsters and Basketball to provide an additional talent supply.

If you think of anything else please add to this list.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Rugby need to take control of their own backyard and talent pools before we start looking outside the box. I agree about ID and hold our players in schools but we need to back them even more. We can't just keep the U16s rep kid and forget about the Prop in the Bs who is yet to fill out.

All the sports are going to be in competition for talent. We have a home Olympics in less than a decade that will see more resources poured into sports like Athletics, Basketball and Swimming that will make them pretty attractive to good young athletes. Rugby need to lean into the RWC from now and use the Olympic 7s program as a carrot.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I know we are talking about all these long term things, but to me the most glaring difference between our players and the ones playing the Quarter finals was just the ability to stick in the fight when things get tough. Argentina hung tough when Wales were starting to run away with it and just kept fighting, same with Ireland when things weren't going right

Our players are chocolate soldiers, they just melt whenever the heat comes on. At a certain point, it's not about skills or tactics, it's about withstanding pressure. Maybe it's because we are so used to losing at super level, but our guys just seem resigned to their fate when things get tough

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know we are talking about all these long term things, but to me the most glaring difference between our players and the ones playing the Quarter finals was just the ability to stick in the fight when things get tough. Argentina hung tough when Wales were starting to run away with it and just kept fighting, same with Ireland when things weren't going right

Our players are chocolate soldiers, they just melt whenever the heat comes on. At a certain point, it's not about skills or tactics, it's about withstanding pressure. Maybe it's because we are so used to losing at super level, but our guys just seem resigned to their fate when things get tough
I agree but we need to develop the skills we are so short of in the Wallabies, if we did that it would give the idea that they can match the intense defensive efforts of our opponents and can capitalise once we open them up.
With this level of coaching offering solutions to the question of how to beat them, we could up our ability to stick at it. It would reduce the stupid shit we do with players trying to win the game on their own, or getting penalised/yellow carded or worse for poor tackles and meat head moves.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

This is solved in my eyes by playing more games. The guys in other countries have been faced with so many different scenarios on the field numerous times. We classify people in super rugby as been experienced when they have 100 caps. 100 caps is something you achieve before you are 25 in Europe. Will Skelton played 33 in a single season last year. Dupont has played 200+ games (160 club games) already in his career and he’s 26. Tate McDermott has half that amount and is roughly the same age. Get this area sorted and players will understand how to get into the grind and battle hard fought wins or the ability to bring players down to their level on the day.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Rugby's need to get us back on track is the same as last weekend's referendum. We need action now, not promises and committees and the actions that appear necessary are:
ID and hold rugby union players in schools
Ensure that the clubs are an extra feeder for Super Rugby
Expand the number of schools playing rugby and provide assistance to them
Ensure all the basics of passing/catching, tackling, scrummaging, lineout and breakdown are taught in schools and clubs.
ID young talent in athletics, AFL, failed Rugby League youngsters and Basketball to provide an additional talent supply.

If you think of anything else please add to this list.
I agree with all of that my point is though, it is just another Wishlist, why hasn't any of that happened over the last 20 years.

The reason why the AFL & NRL are so successful is that those competitions drive the interest & involvement that makes all those things possible.

The point is 99% of Australians understand & support those style of competitions, we can't compete one on one, but surely rugby should try to leverage a level of support that this style of competition can add to Rugby.