• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We need to get to a position where the CEO and employees of RA are driving the administration of the game and left to do that and the board is there to provide strategic direction and governance. The Chair should never be the shadow CEO like McLennan and before him Clyne were.

Let the people actually running the game get on with it, including the best way to streamline our shit.

We need a plan that helps align everything from minis up to seniors. Without fans, you don't have a sport.

A lot of hangers-on in the rugby community need a serious reality check.

Go look at Wales for a parallel situation - old farts basically putting a handbrake on anything that would look like progress or meaningful change.

Reactions: mst

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interview with Geoff Stooke ex ARU (RAu) Board Member on the Rugby Wrap.
Good to see that Geoff continues as a servant to the game.
Hoping that this initiative by Supporters of Australian Rugby Reform can realise some meaningful changes.
The bit where Stooke suggests decreasing funding to the women's game and sevens is....enlightening.
This is old white men shouting at clouds. A reminder that Dick Marks - part of this ridiculous putsch - was a virulent opponent of the Ballymore redevelopment, which has been the single most game-changing thing about Australian rugby in the past few years. (As well as being an opponent of women's rugby - also just women in the workforce - indigenous programs etc..in other words, all the things that are actually growing in rugby).
All we need now is the annual call for Brett Papworth to be appointed CEO,

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
wrongthread_zpskubjw7ow_(1).GIF

Dick Marks

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
All I heard Stooke say is that Rugby in Australia has to live within its means rather than borrowing money to pay for activities that are not covering the costs - including player payments to a few which are too high. Makes sense to me. Both Waratahs and Rebels have needed rescuing, the Reds made $45k profit last year, Brums are close to the wire (that makes 4 out of 5) and the National body is in debt. Hardly an old man shouting at clouds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All I heard Stooke say is that Rugby in Australia has to live within its means rather than borrowing money to pay for activities that are not covering the costs - including player payments to a few which are too high. Makes sense to me. Both Waratahs and Rebels have needed rescuing, the Reds made $45k profit last year, Brums are close to the wire (that makes 4 out of 5) and the National body is in debt. Hardly an old man shouting at clouds.

The fact that’s “all you heard” says a hell of a lot…

He said a hell of a lot more than that. Some sensible. Some less so.

Oh and you forgot to mention the force would be no more if it wasn’t for twiggy.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
The fact that’s “all you heard” says a hell of a lot…

He said a hell of a lot more than that. Some sensible. Some less so.

Oh and you forgot to mention the force would be no more if it wasn’t for twiggy.
There is as a lot from Stooke I agreed with as well as a lot I didn’t.

He is correct in saying the whole board needs to be accountable but McClennan definitely needed to fall on his sword and he did state that signing Eddie was a captains pick.

The whole discussion around women’s rugby and sevens I agree was weird, sevens in particular is an Olympic sport so we should be investing in it.

I do agree that paying all this money for wingers is a joke (Sualli, Jorgensen etc). Just call their bluff and let them walk. Let someone else pay them and we still pick them for the Wallabies if we want them

wamberal99

Charlie Fox (21)
I do agree that paying all this money for wingers is a joke (Sualli, Jorgensen etc). Just call their bluff and let them walk. Let someone else pay them and we still pick them for the Wallabies if we want them
Those two players are a lot more than just wingers (with all due respect to wingers). Both can play in two or three positions. Both are potentially world class.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The bit where Stooke suggests decreasing funding to the women's game and sevens is....enlightening.
This is old white men shouting at clouds. A reminder that Dick Marks - part of this ridiculous putsch - was a virulent opponent of the Ballymore redevelopment, which has been the single most game-changing thing about Australian rugby in the past few years. (As well as being an opponent of women's rugby - also just women in the workforce - indigenous programs etc..in other words, all the things that are actually growing in rugby).
All we need now is the annual call for Brett Papworth to be appointed CEO,

Yeah, I think if this lot get their way and any level of influence over the direction of the game in this country that could be it for me. Some of their opinions don't belong in the modern game. Or the 21st century.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It is doubly frustrating because I do legitimately think that proper constitutional reform is the only path to professional rugby in this country thriving again.

But the voices calling for it (such as the SOAR or the Hammer) seem to be absolute flogs of the highest order who I wouldn't trust to run a bath.