• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
. Following that idea English rugby would be unbeatable in test rugby, etc etc, as they are the richest RU around.
Nah apples and oranges, England are a representative team, Just because they’re rich doesn’t mean they can recruit the best players.

Reactions: dru

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Nah apples and oranges, England are a representative team, Just because they’re rich doesn’t mean they can recruit the best players.
But it does mean they can attract and maintain better athletes. But just as I typed that I realised they are poor in comparison to the FA

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Of course it can influence things up to a point, but are you seriously yelling me that Japanese teams are better than Aus and NZ because they have bigger budgets? It can help, but it is too easy to make an excuse for losing.
I’d argue right now that the top Japanese teams like Suntory and Wild Knights would be competitive with some NZ and Aus teams. Biggest issue which would prevent this is the foreign quota limit applied. They have big budgets, but can’t recruit or play whoever they like.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Rugby is only 25yrs into professionalism, it’s so far behind in certain aspects compared to a lot of other sports money can still be something that doesn’t have as great an influence as it does in other sports. Trends clearly show in sports with advanced professionalism that money is one of the most influential aspects to winning. Just have to look at football, basketball, etc. to see how it’s such a dramatic impact on quality and performance. Thinking otherwise is delusional

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So does this mean the loan/loans from world rugby probably wont get paid but until 2027 & the loan will just come off the top of our revenue for hosting?

I would also assume that we would just pay interest on the hsbc loan until after the lions tour. So we wont be "swimming in cash" like a few news outlets have suggested for a few years.

We need to pay our women & nela

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So does this mean the loan/loans from world rugby probably wont get paid but until 2027 & the loan will just come off the top of our revenue for hosting?

I would also assume that we would just pay interest on the hsbc loan until after the lions tour. So we wont be "swimming in cash" like a few news outlets have suggested for a few years.

We need to pay our women & nela
Nah they’ve said debt free by 2025, so assuming that means Lions tour is expected to cover a fair chunk of it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting to see Hamish McLennan gives his fee from RA to indigenous and womens rugby programs. Give this man a position in the hall of fame, he has saved rugby in Australia.

Firstly by dealing with all that shit from NZ with the disastrous Aratipu Report, avoiding bankruptcy, getting a new broadcast agreement and then securing the RWC.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting to see Hamish McLennan gives his fee from Rugby Australia to indigenous and womens rugby programs. Give this man a position in the hall of fame, he has saved rugby in Australia.

Firstly by dealing with all that shit from NZ with the disastrous Aratipu Report, avoiding bankruptcy, getting a new broadcast agreement and then securing the RWC.

I know a few of the board do something similar.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Interesting to see Hamish McLennan gives his fee from Rugby Australia to indigenous and womens rugby programs. Give this man a position in the hall of fame, he has saved rugby in Australia.

why we do t have an indigenous wallabies (mirroring Māori AB’s) is beyond me. It’s could be majority funded by govt. every July we could play against sides like png/Cook Islands so on & so on.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
why we do t have an indigenous wallabies (mirroring Māori AB’s) is beyond me. It’s could be majority funded by govt. every July we could play against sides like png/Cook Islands so on & so on.
Probably because there are currently 3 indigenous wingers in super rugby and that’s it. I agree that it should be in our planning and it would be great to start it now as a age group side. But realistically I don’t think the talent is there at the top level

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Well for starters about 17% of the kiwi population is Māori. About 3% of the Aussie population is indigenous.

Take it a step further and acknowledge (1) how ingrained the Māori culture is in New Zealand and (2) the significance of rugby in the country and its history. Compare that now with how Australia has treated its indigenous culture and what place rugby sits in this country’s history.

And then wrap that all up by saying that there’s been bugger all indigenous engagement other than the last decade. And the vast majority of that has been by one guy.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Well for starters about 17% of the kiwi population is Māori. About 3% of the Aussie population is indigenous.

Take it a step further and acknowledge (1) how ingrained the Māori culture is in New Zealand and (2) the significance of rugby in the country and its history. Compare that now with how Australia has treated its indigenous culture and what place rugby sits in this country’s history.

And then wrap that all up by saying that there’s been bugger all indigenous engagement other than the last decade. And the vast majority of that has been by one guy.
The population percentage is a bit of a cop out as that translates to roughly 680,000 Maori in NZ to 780,000 aboriginals in Australia

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

my idea is in thought of growing the game, atm we are the 1st national team to have an indigenous jersey & now the numbers look amazing but we have minimal indigenous players. I get it Māori AB’s get to play manu Samoa, but even if we can get a program in place!!!! As Em Chancellor said the other day about womens rugby you can’t be what you can’t see!
I look at the afl & nrl & see so many indigenous players, in our game we have 3 & 1 is in France

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
my idea is in thought of growing the game, atm we are the 1st national team to have an indigenous jersey & now the numbers look amazing but we have minimal indigenous players. I get it Māori AB’s get to play manu Samoa, but even if we can get a program in place!!!! As Em Chancellor said the other day about womens rugby you can’t be what you can’t see!
I look at the afl & nrl & see so many indigenous players, in our game we have 3 & 1 is in France
That’s why I think we need age group rep sides for indigenous kids

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The population percentage is a bit of a cop out as that translates to roughly 680,000 Maori in NZ to 780,000 aboriginals in Australia

It’s really not, because in the end it’s still a vastly larger percentage of a larger percentage vs a tiny fraction of a smaller percentage…

Also, the Māori population of NZ is closer to 880,000.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whilst positive developments this year with super rugby oz teams still some way to go.

Personally like to see more the super rugby pacific focus on securing the footprint by RA and NZRU allowing players who play for any super rugby team eligible to play for their national team: and with super rugby pacific allowing up to say 5 players in the squad to be foreign imports.

I would also like to see a nrc mark 3 and/or some short form domestic competition.

And lastly hopefully better coaches and systems for force and rebels to do better. Brumbies shown how to do it with smaller catchment for local players and relying on recruiting and developing talent from other states (and nz!)