• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The league international rules are currently a bit fucked so I wouldn’t read too much into that.

That Samoa team will likely feature half a dozen current State of Origin players.

Samoa is a designated tier 2 nation in League, so Sua'ali'i can play for them this year, still play State of Origin next year and play for the Kangaroos next year as well.
Yeah right okay, that’s a bit stupid isn’t it. I was getting excited

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah right okay, that’s a bit stupid isn’t it. I was getting excited

Yep there are big blow ups in NRL world at the moment about it.

Depending how this RWC goes, they will likely look to upgrade Samoa, Tonga etc to Tier 1 nations, considering how many top line NRL players are eligible. In which case players like Sua'ali'i would need to decide who to play for and stick with it, as you can’t play Origin if you play for a Tier 1 nation other than Australia.

You can still hold hope of excitement though, a possible read could be he’s representing Samoa this year because he’s about to commit to RA and the Wallabies so this will be his only chance during his ‘prime’ to play for them.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I did a bit of digging about Sua'ali'i's current contract, it appears it was a four-year deal with the Roosters starting from 2021. $1.92 million for those four years. Every year onwards he has an option of leaving the following year. He has already locked in 2023 so the earliest he could come to rugby would be 2024. The salaries for 2021 and 2022 were reported as follows which leaves $1.45 mil on the table over the remaining two years, assuming it increases again...

2021 - $120k
2022 - $350k
2023 - est. 600k
2024 - est. 850k

So yeah, if rugby wants to snag him, I think they'd have to offer up at least $1 mil. He could easily be worth that however.

The Rabbitoh's offer was 630k more than the Roosters' offer over the same four years, but they weren't willing to include a get-out clause. So it appears that the get-out clause is pretty important to him. I think we'd be a good chance of getting him in 2024.

It says he has to inform the club by round 11 each year what he plans on doing the following year, so we'll know if he's coming in 2024 by round 11 next year.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
There's no reason you can't back all 3. private equity would fund this.

My ideas for P.I.

1. Pay the Wallaroos
2. Pay the superw
3. Invest more money in grass roots
4. pay increase for the wallabies who have taken unders the last 3 year
5. Keep the 7's girls from the nrl w
6. More investment in grass roots
7. Increase the mens 7's to a full time program for a whole squad not half
8. Sign Joseph knowing he will leave 1st chance to japan

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
1. Invest in things that will give a ROI to make the code future sustainable

(exactly what those things are would be the debate)

Joseph will not give a ROI of $1.5m a year + & if we dont start paying the girls soon there wont be a girls team.

The aflw runs at massive losses but the ROI for them is they have a comp where girls can play professionally & gets female's eyeballs on the game that would never watch a game normally & the money comes back in tv rights, sponsors & govt. promgams investing in a game that supports womens sport. atm we dont have that.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well it's tricky, isn't it? Whether operating a comp at a loss generates more revenue by what you said or Wallabies winning more matches will generate more revenue.

I don't think any of us would have a clue what's a better investment but hopefully, PE and RA do their due diligence best on where to spend the cash.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Joseph will not give a ROI of $1.5m a year + & if we dont start paying the girls soon there wont be a girls team.

The aflw runs at massive losses but the ROI for them is they have a comp where girls can play professionally & gets female's eyeballs on the game that would never watch a game normally & the money comes back in tv rights, sponsors & govt. promgams investing in a game that supports womens sport. atm we dont have that.

Yeah, something that came up quite a bit in the NRLW this season is the number of girls with in particular Rugby backgrounds. And with 4 more teams coming in for net year. Two of which from Sydney, one from Canberra and the other North Sydney there's definitely a need and interest to approach players from specifically League and Union.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Well it's tricky, isn't it? Whether operating a comp at a loss generates more revenue by what you said or Wallabies winning more matches will generate more revenue.

I don't think any of us would have a clue what's a better investment but hopefully, private equity and Rugby Australia do their due diligence best on where to spend the cash.

Prob the most accurate thing I have read on this forum HAHAHAHAHAHA

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

Well viewership of the AFL is not actually growing at all. Numbers are down from pre pandemic levels including TV. The AFL has the money to lose.

We need to make sure we use the money on things that will make the game financially sustainable. I don’t see how competing with the AFLW does this

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anyone got any clear thinking on when rugby scholarships really started being a consistent thing in private school rugby?

There were additional beds mysteriously popping up in the Year 11&12 dorms at Brisbane based boarding schools at least as far back as the 1970s for regional kids who happened to show ability. That might not be the overt scholarships you’re referring to though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There were additional beds mysteriously popping up in the Year 11&12 dorms at Brisbane based boarding schools at least as far back as the 1970s for regional kids who happened to show ability. That might not be the overt scholarships you’re referring to though.

Yeah. Aware of that stuff. I mean when did it get legit in terms of active recruitment. Was it the time of Pocock, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor)?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah. Aware of that stuff. I mean when did it get legit in terms of active recruitment. Was it the time of Pocock, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)?

I don’t recall hearing much about it before them, I’m guessing circa 2005 was the first I heard about it happening at GPS schools here in Brisbane. They should be listed in yearbooks as scholarships of sporting excellence or something similar if any old boys are willing to do some research around when those first popped up.

I know a few AIC schools were officially doing it from 2005. Marist had a few trips to the Pacific Islands and happened to bring back students on outreach scholarships who coincidentally went on to be three year 1st rugby players.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’m telling you guys (have posted about this a few times) - Matt Burton is a genuine 10,12,13,15 long term option for Australian rugby.

He’s playing five eighth tonight for the Aussie Prime Ministers XIII (essentially the Kangaroos trial team) and he’s setup tries, scored a try so far, ball played, taken on the line, made all his tackles and has a massive boot.

Contract still up in the air going forward with the Doggies so I imagine RA would already be sussing him out.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I’m telling you guys (have posted about this a few times) - Matt Burton is a genuine 10,12,13,15 long term option for Australian rugby.

He’s playing five eighth tonight for the Aussie Prime Ministers XIII (essentially the Kangaroos trial team) and he’s setup tries, scored a try so far, ball played, taken on the line, made all his tackles and has a massive boot.

Contract still up in the air going forward with the Doggies so I imagine Rugby Australia would already be sussing him out.

I get it he's good but he was playing against a bunch of club footballers put together.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Contract still up in the air going forward with the Doggies so I imagine Rugby Australia would already be sussing him out.
Of those positions I initially thought he was a 10, 12 but with his boot and size I'd love to see him play 15 in Rugby. Won't hold my breath as I reckon the Bulldogs are likely to offer him a re-signing of 800k+ especially if he gets a Kangaroos start.

I lean towards 15 as I think it may be our thinnest position at the moment. I don't see a genuine Fullback amongst the Wallabies or Aus A with Banks gone even though I didn't think he was THE guy. Think it also shows we lack that position with Banks named in the Aus A squad.

Yeah. Aware of that stuff. I mean when did it get legit in terms of active recruitment. Was it the time of Pocock, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)?
This word really gets up in the panties of many if you venture into the Schoolboy threads but I'd say it really became a normal thing around 2006 onwards. May have always been a few talents brought in but the on mass style from about then if I was to have a crack. I think it also gets a bit overplayed now with the League boys being called scholarships when I don't necessarily think the schools have sought them out but the Club has wanted the environment for the boy. The school then gets the player for a couple of years.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I can say with confidence that scholarships were given at Brisbane schools from at least 2000 onwards. I had two class mates who were on Football (soccer) and Athletics rides.

From memory when Nadolo went by Ratu, he was given a full ride at Nudgee. I'm also fairly sure Quade was on a scholarship considering he repeated Grades 11 & 12 over two years. I'm unsure about Pocock as he fled Zimbabwe.