• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
If someone's still on holidays and/or keen on some calculations, it'd be interesting to see the CA and RA deals broken down in terms of $/hour.

There is a hell of a lot of broadcast time that comes with the cricket: for the men's 22/23 season alone there's over 50 BBL games, a dozen international ODIs and T20s (plus the T20 World Cup), and a possible 25 days of 8hr+ test coverage.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I do wonder if a monday night game is worthwhile in super, not sure how it worked with NRL etc, just strikes me instead or crowding games on a Saturday etc it would be worth peeking at, although I understand the crowd problems or lack of.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If someone's still on holidays and/or keen on some calculations, it'd be interesting to see the CA and SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) deals broken down in terms of $/hour.

There is a hell of a lot of broadcast time that comes with the cricket: for the men's 22/23 season alone there's over 50 BBL games, a dozen international ODIs and T20s (plus the T20 World Cup), and a possible 25 days of 8hr+ test coverage.

The Nine/Stan deal with Rugby Australia also includes the international tests, Sevens, Super W, Queensland Premier Rugby and Shute Shield, along with a couple of other junior tournaments. Not to mention I'm sure there are additional funds being shelled out over the years for the Japanese One league and NPC.

If you are going to try and quantify every aspect of the CA deal, you'd have to do the same for rugby.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I do wonder if a monday night game is worthwhile in super, not sure how it worked with NRL etc, just strikes me instead or crowding games on a Saturday etc it would be worth peeking at, although I understand the crowd problems or lack of.

In Australia at least I think the logical step of using the weeknight for games would be Premier level.

If they want QPR and SS to become a viable rugby product on it's own, moving at least one game a week to Sunday arvo and another to Thursday or Friday nights would be a good step. Even if just for a season to trial it with both in ground attendance and viewership.

Problem of course is those comps are essentially totally amateur, so changing the schedules messes with fulltime jobs and people who have families etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
In Australia at least I think the logical step of using the weeknight for games would be Premier level.

If they want QPR and SS to become a viable rugby product on it's own, moving at least one game a week to Sunday arvo and another to Thursday or Friday nights would be a good step. Even if just for a season to trial it with both in ground attendance and viewership.

Problem of course is those comps are essentially totally amateur, so changing the schedules messes with fulltime jobs and people who have families etc.
Yep, and perhaps why they don't do it more Phil, I know the hassle we had if any of the games were moved to midweek (or Sunday for that matter) in the club I was involved with in Brisbane. Kind of caught between a rock and hard place I guess.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The Nine/Stan deal with Rugby Australia also includes the international tests, Sevens, Super W, Queensland Premier Rugby and Shute Shield, along with a couple of other junior tournaments. Not to mention I'm sure there are additional funds being shelled out over the years for the Japanese One league and NPC.

If you are going to try and quantify every aspect of the CA deal, you'd have to do the same for rugby.
Yep of course, I was just listing the CA stuff for comparison's sake. Thanks for outlining the full RA deal though - regardless of total broadcast time, when both deals are compared side by side, the difference in 'mainstream appeal' is pretty evident.

Edit: just realised I put SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) deal as opposed to RA deal - apologies, fixed

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
There'd have to be a lot more games in a round for it to make sense, one of the few strengths of the current Super setup is the ability to use ~3 time zones (NZST, AEST, AWST) to comfortably fit 3 games into primetime slots on Friday and Saturday night without conflict. Monday would only come in after Sunday and Thursday were used and even then it would be a hard argument to run - time between games is one of the key player welfare pushes at the moment and as soon as you start scheduling games outside the weekend it becomes much harder to guarantee that minimum rest.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There'd have to be a lot more games in a round for it to make sense, one of the few strengths of the current Super setup is the ability to use ~3 time zones (NZST, AEST, AWST) to comfortably fit 3 games into primetime slots on Friday and Saturday night without conflict. Monday would only come in after Sunday and Thursday were used and even then it would be a hard argument to run - time between games is one of the key player welfare pushes at the moment and as soon as you start scheduling games outside the weekend it becomes much harder to guarantee that minimum rest.
Yep Wilson, I forgot about AWST, which to kiwis is similar to SA time for you in Aus. And as you point out player welfare etc would count against Monday night games anyway, and the 3 timezones wouldn't work for then anyway.
Ok admit it was just a quick thought.:mad:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Monday night football used to be the highest rated program on Fox each week. Only went because ch.9 bid overs for a Thurs game and the players union didn’t want a Thurs-Mon spread (which is fair)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I have always thought Friday night club footy would be a hit. Even if it was the lower grades/subbies. I think you may see more guys play a couple more seasons as Saturdays get pretty packed when they get married and have kids etc...

I don't mind the idea of weekday Super Rugby. You won't draw the crowds IMO in person but TV may be quite good. I loved the fact you could watch a game during the week, and I like Thursdays knowing I can watch an NRL game that night.

Super Rugby need to try and make it a fun day to go to the footy. Don't just make it the 1 match that by the end of it you have spent $150 for 2 hours. I'd love to see a proper Schoolboy/Club game prior and do this every round so people know it's on. I know I use to enjoy going to games of League that had Reserve grade beforehand. Crowd filters in for some early beers and it makes an event out of it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
5ED57C52-6CBE-4EF8-8A17-9269F7356753.jpeg

Very impressive effort from Petaia and Bell to be so established at this stage tbh. Justified they have been criticised at times as they play for the Wallabies but you do forget their age.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
With all of what’s happened today just thought I would see who is actually on the RA board (1st time I’ve done this since raelene got marched) how do we not have 1 PI or indigenous person on the board? To me this seems utterly bonkers.

There is actually good balance across commercial experts, female representation, former player representation but none for the most amount of players.

We’ve done so much with the jersey, the anthem & listening to indigenous players but no one in the board room with a voice.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
With all of what’s happened today just thought I would see who is actually on the Rugby Australia board (1st time I’ve done this since raelene got marched) how do we not have 1 PI or indigenous person on the board? To me this seems utterly bonkers.

There is actually good balance across commercial experts, female representation, former player representation but none for the most amount of players.

We’ve done so much with the jersey, the anthem & listening to indigenous players but no one in the board room with a voice.
Unfortunately there aren’t too many indigenous Australians involved with rugby. This is highlighted by the fact there have only been 14 indigenous Wallabies

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Rugby is doing it’s best to move forward as you point out with the current board and I’m hopeful it continues to develop in the best interest of growing Rugby and not to just tick the box.

14 Wallabies is below what it should be in comparison to League and Aussie Rules but it’s a lot more than Cricket which does not compete for seasonal talent. Rugby has traditionally been an isolated sport geographically and demographically unfortunately but their is a lot of young talent in the system currently between Super Rugby squads, 7s and U20s. Hopefully they kick on to more senior honours.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Unfortunately there aren’t too many indigenous Australians involved with rugby. This is highlighted by the fact there have only been 14 indigenous Wallabies

The indigenous representative doesn't have to be a player, I would prob lean more to that person not being a former player. Thats what Phil Waugh is on there for

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Perhaps contacting RA's First Nation Committee might be a starting point. Given the strides they've made in the recent years, I'd be surprised if there isn't more behind the scenes we don't see;

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I know that but that was more highlighting the lack of engagement with the indigenous community over all

I am going to have to disagree with that a bit, we are the 1st national side to wear an indigenous jersey, the only side to sing the national anthem, have a great round in Super Rugby, it seems all the players are listened to & encouraged to promote their story.

You are correct in the number of players we bring through compared to afl & rl