• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Urgh, really? Establishment man will continue chart the same course as before.

I'm not jazzed about it either, but I don't think we're on a bad course at the moment. I haven't been on the forums for a while, so maybe I'm out of the loop on the latest grievances, but the game seems in OK shape.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Urgh, really? Establishment man will continue chart the same course as before.

I don't think the effective RA structure has really put the direction of the organisation and the game in Australia in the hands of the CEO since John O'Neill.

The Chairperson is clearly driving the direction and this has been particularly clear with McLennan in the hot seat.

Generally I think this should be the case. The board should be determining where the game is heading and the CEO and RA under them should be enacting that.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Eek...

Ben Fordham getting the exclusive is an interesting start to Waugh's tenure... not sure it does anything to appease concerns

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't think the effective Rugby Australia structure has really put the direction of the organisation and the game in Australia in the hands of the CEO since John O'Neill.

The Chairperson is clearly driving the direction and this has been particularly clear with McLennan in the hot seat.

Generally I think this should be the case. The board should be determining where the game is heading and the CEO and Rugby Australia under them should be enacting that.

Problem has been that The Hammer thinks he's running the show as well as the board!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Problem has been that The Hammer thinks he's running the show as well as the board!

But he effectively is isn't he?

Unless/until we get to a position where the CEO is actually tasked with the strategic direction of the game in Australia I don't think we should expect much different.

Personally I think they're very different things. I can't really see a situation or a person you'd be hiring as CEO where you'd task them with that job.

Implementing a strategic plan, absolutely!

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Personally can’t think of a big picture decision McLennan has got wrong yet. We are in a better spot than arguably before Covid. Some might not like the way he’s going about things but can’t argue with the results. Not saying this will last forever but can only judge on what’s been achieved.

Don’t know much about Waugh as an operator but let’s find out.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
But he effectively is isn't he?

Unless/until we get to a position where the CEO is actually tasked with the strategic direction of the game in Australia I don't think we should expect much different.

Personally I think they're very different things. I can't really see a situation or a person you'd be hiring as CEO where you'd task them with that job.

Implementing a strategic plan, absolutely!

In the interim you can obviously make a case for that. Longer term I think there needs to be a structural separation between the board and the day to day running of RA. I actually expect that to be the case once a new CEO in place. I'm just dirty that Waugh appears to be that man.

Overall I've been pretty OK with the Hammer's handling of the situation dealt to him - I should state that for the avoidance of doubt.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm not jazzed about it either, but I don't think we're on a bad course at the moment. I haven't been on the forums for a while, so maybe I'm out of the loop on the latest grievances, but the game seems in OK shape.

Yeah we're getting there and it's certainly better than the last couple of regimes.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
does anyone have any issue with Waugh personally or just that he's a rugby player with little relevant experience?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My issues with Waugh are twofold: firstly, his lack of experience running an organisation; secondly, I hold a bit of a grudge against him about his attitude on the Force axing, which at the time to me was indifferent at best and callous at worst.

EDIT: Le Cheese hits on a third reason.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
does anyone have any issue with Waugh personally or just that he's a rugby player with little relevant experience?
For me it's very much the latter - not a sleight on Waugh, nor his abilities as an executive within the finance world. I'm just not sure that an ex-player, heavily embedded within the 'old boys' and NSW networks, and with a lack of comparable expertise is exactly what rugby in this country needs. Optics wise, it also screams 'jobs for the boys'.

For RA's sake, I hope he knocks it out of the park.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I couldn't care less about the RA CEO - more interested in the commissioner of the Super Rugby independent commission. That's what's more important for the code here.