• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

BobbyD

Peter Burge (5)

Former Wallabies captain Waugh set to be named Rugby Australia CEO​

By Tom Decent, Michael Atkinson and Iain Payten

June 2, 2023 — 8.09am

Former Wallabies captain Phil Waugh is set to be installed as Rugby Australia’s new chief executive.
This masthead has been told by multiple sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, that Waugh is poised to replace Andy Marinos in the most important job in Australian rugby.

While the appointment has not been formally ratified by the board, sources with knowledge of the process said it was a formality that Waugh would get the job.
The 43-year-old impressed during a presentation to the RA board.

Waugh played 79 Tests for the Wallabies between 2000 and 2009 and captained his country on three occasions.
When Waugh retired in 2011, he held the Waratahs record for the most appearances (136).
Waugh has been a member of the RA board since 2018 and also features on the governing body’s ‘Rugby Committee’.
When Marinos announced his resignation last month, Waugh was linked with the job, given his close ties with chairman Hamish McLennan.
RA and McLennan have been contacted for comment.

Contacted by this masthead last week for an update on the CEO role, McLennan said an interim would not be needed and that he was confident someone would be found by June.
RA ran a formal process but has settled on Waugh, who has held roles at Westpac, Commonwealth Bank and most recently, NAB.
Marinos will finish up at RA on June 14.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Former Wallabies captain Waugh set to be named Rugby Australia CEO​

By Tom Decent, Michael Atkinson and Iain Payten

June 2, 2023 — 8.09am

Former Wallabies captain Phil Waugh is set to be installed as Rugby Australia’s new chief executive.
This masthead has been told by multiple sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, that Waugh is poised to replace Andy Marinos in the most important job in Australian rugby.

While the appointment has not been formally ratified by the board, sources with knowledge of the process said it was a formality that Waugh would get the job.
The 43-year-old impressed during a presentation to the Rugby Australia board.

Waugh played 79 Tests for the Wallabies between 2000 and 2009 and captained his country on three occasions.
When Waugh retired in 2011, he held the Waratahs record for the most appearances (136).
Waugh has been a member of the Rugby Australia board since 2018 and also features on the governing body’s ‘Rugby Committee’.
When Marinos announced his resignation last month, Waugh was linked with the job, given his close ties with chairman Hamish McLennan.
Rugby Australia and McLennan have been contacted for comment.

Contacted by this masthead last week for an update on the CEO role, McLennan said an interim would not be needed and that he was confident someone would be found by June.
Rugby Australia ran a formal process but has settled on Waugh, who has held roles at Westpac, Commonwealth Bank and most recently, NAB.
Marinos will finish up at Rugby Australia on June 14.

Assume Tom, Atko and Payto took a paragraph each on that one? Huge effort team.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
*synergy* is the word you were looking for, I suspect...
very much obsessed with him #willemdafoe #willemdafoeedit #paulsmecker... |  TikTok

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What are Phil Waugh’s credentials for this role? Seriously? I mean apart from going to Shore. (No doubt it is a great school, but it is beyond ridiculous the number of high level appointments that have come from a single school. Astounding).

I’ve just tried to find any sort of decent experience which shows he is a good selection for this role. He’s been on the RA board - but as far as I can see there is nothing in his professional background to suggest he is worthy to even be in the running for CEO.

As far as I can tell the main driving force seems to be he is pals with McLennan.

I love rugby - but these sort of appointments are a disgrace.

I know there are many on here much better connected and more knowledgeable than me. Am I wrong? Please tell me my fears are misplaced.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To be clear Waugh was an outstanding player, and is probably a great bloke. If he’s held those board positions at NAB & Westpac he’s no fool. But that doesn’t mean he is the right choice for CEO of Rugby Australia.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I agree his credentials don’t match the job and it’s definitely a job for a mate but I have thought I’m glad to see someone in the upswing of their career get it instead of someone like Pulver who it was a hobby toy to play with a wreck for a few years.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
But surely we deserve better Ghost.

I’m not filthy at Waugh - he has every right to go for the job.

But surely the board are treating the Australian public with disdain in this appointment.

I dunno. Maybe I’m just getting cranky as I age. It’s not like it’s a new path for rugby appointments. I just keep hoping things will change. More fool me I guess.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
To be clear Waugh was an outstanding player, and is probably a great bloke. If he’s held those board positions at NAB & Westpac he’s no fool. But that doesn’t mean he is the right choice for CEO of Rugby Australia.

They aren't even board roles at NAB and WBC as far as I can see from that screenshot. Capital is a shell of its former self and there's a couple of very short roles in there.

That is an industry I have worked in in a former life and I can't see much in the way of similarities to pro sports.

I truly hope he's our best ever ceo but it's not inspiring. Hopefully 5 years on the board plus corporate experience is enough of a foundation.