• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

I can't remember the last time Doran and FoxSport ran a positive article about the Wallabies? Last one must have been in 2015 after knocking the Poms out?
Going full conspiracy mode here, but do Fox have insight into who/what triggers the +2 on the Stan/9 deal and think they have a shot at getting the rights back post 23? There's obviously a belief that a new Aus-only comp would do numbers, plus home mens and womens World Cups to sweeten the deal.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Going full conspiracy mode here, but do Fox have insight into who/what triggers the +2 on the Stan/9 deal and think they have a shot at getting the rights back post 23? There's obviously a belief that a new Aus-only comp would do numbers, plus home mens and women World Cups plus a Lions Tour and a Commonwealth and Olympic Games to sweeten the deal.

Not sure if they have said insight, but League test matches between New Guinea and Lebanon probably won’t cut the mustard on the international stage

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Who sells the Lions tour rights - just RA? I think Fox can sit back and bid for RWCs as 7s will be separate to Rugby anyway. Fox will undoubtedly go hard for 2023 RWC, if not to grab them then to push up the price for Stan/9 at least. And when it comes to 2027, expect to see Ch.7 and 10/CBS involved too...

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Let’s end this discussion. I work with media data in Aus and NZ.

NRL is comfortably the 3rd most watched sport in NZ, based on regular eyeballs.

Super Rugby and cricket both have between 12-15% of the population engaged. NRL is between 8-10% and soccer is dramatically lower. This is probably because of viewing times.

NRL viewership is up on over the last 5yrs, the trend on Super Rugby is down. However it did improve in 2020 but has dropped again in the last 12 months

Netball is 4th.

Now onto Australian rugby as in the title
So I was right lol
soccer is dramatically lower. This is probably because of viewing times.
That's something you can't change, so it's forever and ever

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Im sure there’s a few in here who could apply, I’m not sure everyone would be unbiased in the analytics presented though

Hate to brag but I have an Internet phD in Rugby Analytics.

dunning-kruger-effect-curve(1).png

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
Noticed the wallabies doing some PR with Aston Villa in QLD, and thought wallabies train on the Gold Coast rather than Sydney?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Noticed the wallabies doing some PR with Aston Villa in QLD, and thought wallabies train on the Gold Coast rather than Sydney?

that was indicated a while ago. Helps with Rennie, Tattsy and the big Bok scrum coach all live on the coast.

Plus its Queensland...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nothing new in the article, PE still on the table

Rugby Australia will kick off talks to raise $150m or more from private equity within weeks, as it also considers a fresh loan from a US investment firm to shore up its short-term financing.

RA chairman Hamish McLennan said the alternatives of potentially engaging a private equity deal or going for a bigger cash loan show the financial future of the code is growing stronger.

“Thankfully we’ve got more optionality now with a rugby world cup coming,” McLennan said. “We could borrow more money from Ares, do a convertible note with another institution, or do a classic style private equity deal.”

“Andy (Marinos, the RA chief executive) and the team have done a great job, stopping the financial haemorrhaging at RA and we are operating off a lessor cost base. We hope to turn a small profit this year, which is a major breakthrough.”

Australia is hoping to net a $100m profit from the World Cup in 2027. “A lot of that will be quarantined into an endowment fund … that will be passed onto the game’s grassroots,” McLennan said. “We had a near death experience (after the 2003 World Cup). We nearly went under.”

RA, which hopes to turn a small profit this year, is set to formally meet with global private equity giants CVC and Silver Lake in August in what could be the latest move by private equity into Australian sport

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
With the massive Irish diaspora overseas, it's a bloody smart move on their part.

Plus the IRFU seem to have a better time identifying and developing talent compared to Aus.
After converting the Euro to AUD they also have $35m more to spend a year in income. Retaining players as well that decide to retire can claim upto 40% 10yrs of tax free income back from the government.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I can't remember the last time Doran and FoxSport ran a positive article about the Wallabies? Last one must have been in 2015 after knocking the Poms out?

and yet 2 weeks later the same jouralist is now calling for someone else to replace Hooper as captain lol