• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Fuck off Gregor Paul

The thing he doesn't understand is that I fundamentally want the Rebels in the competition way more than I want the Crusaders. Maybe we should chop them?

I would prefer to watch the Rebels vs. the Brumbies FAR MORE than watching the Crusaders vs. the Blues.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fuck off Gregor Paul

It's Gregor Paul. If the Rebs have a good season & look like making the playoffs, at some point he'll write an article headlined "How The Rebels Are Saving Super Rugby Pacific" (from being dominated by the same three or four teams every year).

But yes, fuck Gregor Paul. Bigly.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fuck off Gregor Paul
I saw it written somewhere, and never even read it, not sure why anyone would even get upset over it. Gregor Pauls is trying to get a bit of click bait, as there not a hell of a lot happening. I have never heard it discussed or seen much about it over here in NZ. There wasn't even much in the way of comments on Roar where that's been taken from as I think most just shrug and go one joker has made another stupid suggestion, so is it even worth taking note of.
Snap WOB we were replying same thing at same time.
And to be fair I never get NZ Herald, and always used to think Paul was an Aussie writer as he has a bit os stuff in SMH at times. :confused:

I will add like a few here I go into a few rugby forums, and pleased to see only really Roar even bothered to make a note of this bit of clickbait, and even seemed none really bothered to comment, so most took it for what it is.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Paul Cully is the Kiwi who writes for the SMH…
Yep mate realised that, like I said that I used to think that, when I lived in Aus because I used to read SMH sometimes, and have never actually read the NZ Herald even since being home :D

As a point of how stupid some of these so called rugby writers are, just read in Stuff in talking about the upcoming Welsh/Abs test that suppoedly Wales have never won a test against ABs, shows the quality of some rugby jounalism we get!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Funny how all the kiwi journalists are receiving inside scoops and NZR exclusives around the same time they write an article about how RA should capitulate and accept a lesser offer.

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Paul doesn't get inside scoops & NZR exclusives, he just implies that he does. OTOH if a Cully or Marc Hinton article looks like they're getting the good oil from inside NZR there's a better than even chance they are: always remembering that NZR is factional & different people within it have different journos they leak/ push their barrow to.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
^ Paul doesn't get inside scoops & NZR exclusives, he just implies that he does. OTOH if a Cully or Marc Hinton article looks like they're getting the good oil from inside NZR there's a better than even chance they are: always remembering that NZR is factional & different people within it have different journos they leak/ push their barrow to.
Yeah Paul made some comments recently implying inside knowledge from NZR, and then followed it up by saying RA should just accept the new terms

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually Paul Cully has a very interesting write up in SMH dated 14th Octobor WOB, just now read it and makes for good reading.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
NZ rugby people are waking up to what we've known for quite sometime. Super Rugby decreases fan numbers and support due to its one sided outcomes and predictability. They see cutting Oz teams as the easy answer to their problems, whilst never talking about their own elephant in the room, the Crusaders.

I would expect RA to extract every last penny if they are going to subject Aus fans to SRP (Super Rugby Pacific).

Super Rugby has not delivered performance or spectator outcomes for over a decade now (some would argue longer!). I'm not going to re-hash all the ways Super Rugby is flawed for Australian fans.

If the economics don't stack up, I don't think the other attributes of the comp are enough to warrant signing up to.

This is a big decision and will have ramifications for many years to come. Hopefully we get it right.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
End of the day, NZRU are not doing Super Rugby Aotearoa. They must not remember their ratings and interest nosediving after the the derbies became stale and boring later in the season.

This applies to Australia too - Super Rugby Pacific will get done, it's just about who comprises the most.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
End of the day, NZRU are not doing Super Rugby Aotearoa. They must not remember their ratings and interest nosediving after the the derbies became stale and boring later in the season.

This applies to Australia too - Super Rugby Pacific will get done, it's just about who comprises the most.
Yep Gwerty, like it or not we are stuck with it,a 5 team comp won't do it too much same same, and both sides need international market for the comp, which ties in with how much sponsorship etc they get. Even talking to most, and I mean talking not reading forums, most are not overly excited about super rugby (or even test rugby) as in NZ itself many people like me hold NPC as the preferred comp, and find with the higher the comp gets, the more stilted the game is. That's through reffereeing (TMO involvement), and the game is played to too much detail as it gets higher, not the shit ,rip and bust we all really enjoy in the game. And I have a couple of mates in Aus (Aussies, not kiwis) who say they actually same thing, watch and enjoy NPC , and not too worried about EOYT.
But anyway as I tend to look at positive, I know I will end up enjoying see how the younger players progress through the step up to super next year, from both NZ and Aus.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You mean the ‘inside scoop’ from NZR stating australia should capitulate in their negotiations lol

yeah that can get stuffed also
Actually mate, I didn't notice anything about an inside scoop from NZR, perhaps I will have to read it again? But fair enough, I thought it was more ineteresting on how money is split etc.
I will add I kick around with a bloody lot of rugby people here in NZ, and haven't heard anything being discussed about these write ups. Perhaps a fair bit of not a lot of time for some of these journalists, and a lot of just thinking it will work itself out!

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Can we dispel some myths.

- numbers did not drop for SRAo. In fact they were higher than the previous Super Rugby versions and last seasons numbers. Maybe this was down to Covid? But there isn’t any evidence to state the 5 teams weren’t working, snapshots would say it worked better, but there is no sustained data beyond a sufficient sample size to say if this was a short term hit or not.

- NPC viewing figures are shocking. Some rounds attract less viewers than a single Super Rugby match.

Happy to clarify some more tv data figures as I work in the industry across both countries

My hunch is the primary driver for not looking at SRAo model into a Champions League type model is the NZ Players association does not want this model going forward, as players have complained about the intensity of the comp. Which kinda counteracts the argument of strengthening Aus by reducing teams to improve quality and intensity.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
No it dropped. You're comparing the numbers at the start after a complete stand still of world sport.
Every comp does that the season rolls on.

In NZ

‘19 to ‘20 Super Rugby market share increase around 5% from ‘21 to ‘22 it dropped back to the ‘19 figure after 2 season with the sustained increase. Admittedly not a lot of games involved in each season to derive a large sample size (n=30).

M10 has slowly dropped but interesting tidbits, it’s largest drop happened pre-Covid. The trend line isn’t dramatic but is down over time.

Looking at propensity score for both. If you lived in NZ you were slightly more likely to have watched SRAo than Super Rugby in the last 5 years.

For those looking at this as a ringing endorsement for a domestic only comp. The sample size is a little too small, another season would be great to understand a true trend and the increase from Super Rugby to SRAo isn’t something significant, plus Super Rugby offers more games in the long run. The numbers are more stark in Aus but again not what I’d classify as commercially ground breaking.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
dunno, ratings sound pretty bad in NZ, halved in 3 years.
1News has sourced figures from Nielsen TAM which show declining primetime (7pm/7.30pm games) TV viewership for the competition, with the early rounds of 2022 averaging around 100,000 viewers.

In Rugby World Cup years in 2015 and 2019 audiences, aged five and over, per primetime game averaged close to 200,000.

With Covid mangling the competition, that figure dived in 2021 and ratings have now nearly halved compared with three years ago.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The domestic games in Aus seemed to do fine. More so the season prior when there was actually a Domestic champion.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Bring in a domestic comp I say, but need more teams. Make 10 teams, 2 in Sydney, 2 in Brisbane, Canberra, Melb, Perth, Fiji, and 2 more.

Who cares if the standard drops, to be honest, the more amateur games are probably better spectacles to watch, they flow better and have more tries.

Twiggy can fund it.

I honestly think this is the way forward. Then in later years you can start a Champshionship Cup style comp with Japan, NZ, and SA's comp's.

Reactions: dru