• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just read that Eddie is looking at coaching the NRL with 2 clubs in discussion with him. Any idea which clubs and does this rumour have legs?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I just read that Eddie is looking at coaching the NRL with 2 clubs in discussion with him. Any idea which clubs and does this rumour have legs?
Sounds a lot like "NRL player to sign for Waratahs / Reds / Brumbies, RA etc..." when their contract is up for renewal.
Of course, it's Eddie, so he might, but it sounds like a shopping trip.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
With Borthwick getting the England job unless the bomb out of the WC he probably has a few years in the seat. Percentage of Robertson for Australia goes up slightly???

If he doesn't get All Black's job in 2024, it'll be either Wallabies or Scotland, given Razor already spends a heap of his time in Aus & has lots of strong connections here... you can basically pencil it in, if NZRU shaft him again. Can't imagine him going anywhere else.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you mean that obscure gas everyone is jumping up and down about? The impact of which is negligible according to William Happer's work.

200w.gif

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If he doesn't get All Black's job in 2024, it'll be either Wallabies or Scotland, given Razor already spends a heap of his time in Aus & has lots of strong connections here... you can basically pencil it in, if NZRU shaft him again. Can't imagine him going anywhere else.
Yeah I tend to agree. I like the pressure it might be putting on people at NZRU.

I’m being bias here but he’s said he wants to win WCs. I just don’t see it with Scotland unless they want to get more South Africans. They have a strong group of players at the moment but their recent U20s have been very poor. Hogg & Russell are both 30 as well. Australia has a higher ceiling if we don’t ruin it for ourselves.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If Razor goes to NZ in 2024 which he likely will do. Maybe that will be a blessing in disguise for the wallabies. Think about it, he coaches the ABs to a RWC victory, whilst learning a heap of new stuff along the way.

Then he jumps ship to Australia an even better coach so he can fulfill his goal of 2 RWC's with two teams. Plus he now knows the ABs set-up like the back of his hand and beating them becomes a piece of cake. Hello Bledisloe Cup!

Sure it's a 10 year plan with 5 years of pain, but it's better then we currently have.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Razor goes to NZ in 2024 which he likely will do. Maybe that will be a blessing in disguise for the wallabies. Think about it, he coaches the ABs to a RWC victory, whilst learning a heap of new stuff along the way.

Then he jumps ship to Australia an even better coach so he can fulfill his goal of 2 RWC's with two teams. Plus he now knows the ABs set-up like the back of his hand and beating them becomes a piece of cake. Hello Bledisloe Cup!

Sure it's a 10 year plan with 5 years of pain, but it's better then we currently have.
Bugger off Viking - I'll be dead by then.....

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
who would have though selling off a percentage of future income would come back to bite? It’s a cautionary tale for Rugby Australia and private equity.

I understand companies recouping their investments - but surely there is more to this, why make a $200M investment, pull out some divvies, yet still be at a $175M loss on that investment but have it tied up with a business that is falling down?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
CVC taking a dividend of £27m on their 27% share suggests that the other owners (the clubs) have taken a dividend of around £73m pounds between them over the same period.
A £29m debt seems serviceable if that is the case.
Doesn’t line up nicely for a sensationalist tweet though.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The costs of running a rugby team from the Wallabies to Super Rugby is huge. It is easy to go broke all that's needed is a couple of seasons of poor results and you are on a knife edge. It is not a business for the faint-hearted and only for the very rich.
My local club nearly went broke as they tried to buy their way to success.