• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
RWC year & bledisloe at the mcg cant see us not making a profit in 2023. Wales out here in 2024 & increased funding to the women's program might see that yr break even. 2025 lions series "lets make it rain biatch"
Don't think any unions make money in WC years, bugger all home games and fair bit of expense generally. I think (but don't quote me) NZR usually budget for a 9 mill loss with WC.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Don't think any unions make money in WC years, bugger all home games and fair bit of expense generally. I think (but don't quote me) NZR usually budget for a 9 mill loss with WC.

I thought you got a decent cashing injection from everything that came with a rwc but i'm most likely wrong & thinking of former wallabies making bank doing cashies in the lead up lol

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Most unions make a loss RWC year due to loss of inbound tours and impacts to sponsorship as the RWC is played with clean skin.

World Rugby does distribute a RWC grants but doesn't make up for the difference. Also I believe part of WR (World Rugby) loan to Australia during COVID was an advance for RWC grants they would get this year. Could be wrong on that part thought.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I might be a random on the internet but the annual reports are made public and unions have regularly complained over the financial impact of the RWC.

World Rugby offer a RWC participation fee which reached $20million in 2019 for Tier 1, despite this Rugby Australia has lost almost $10million a year in the past 3 RWCs (2011, 2015, 2019), that is on the back of reduced matchday revenue and broadcast rights in a RWC year.

World Rugby offer a measly $1million bonus for the winning team. In 2019 Rugby Australia offered players incentives totaling almost $4million if they made the final and won the RWC.

In 2020 World Rugby loaned Rugby Australia $14million guaranteed against the Wallabies 2023 RWC participation fee, of that $11.9million remains as a liability and is repayable to World Rugby later this year.

Essentially RA took an advance on their RWC participation feed so will be a further $11.9million short in 2023 on top of reduced revenue from less test matches.

So yeah, I don't think RA will be posting a profit for 2023.

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I might be a random on the internet but the annual reports are made public and unions have regularly complained over the the financial impact of the RWC.

World Rugby offering a participation fee which reached $20million in 2019 for Tier 1, despite this Rugby Australia has lost almost $10million a year in the past 3 RWC (2011, 2015, 2019) years on the back of reduced matchday revenue and broadcast rights.

World Rugby offer a measley $1million bonus for the winning team. In 2019 Rugby Australia offered players incentives totalling almost $4million if they made the final and won the RWC.

In 2020 World Rugby loaned Rugby Australia $14million guaranteed against the Wallabies RWC participation fee, of that $11.9million remains as a liability and is repayable to World Rugby later this year.

Essentially Rugby Australia took an advance on their RWC participation feed so will be a further $11.9million short in 2023 on top of reduced revenue from less test matches.

So yeah, I don't think Rugby Australia will be posting a profit for 2023.
Can they apply to be designated a charity?

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I don't think criticising RA is particularly insightful or revolutionary commentary. It's not like their problems aren't universally known.

Would be great to hear some suggested fixes or courses of action

That's too hard of course - much easier to sink the boot in.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Would be great to hear some suggested fixes or courses of action

That's too hard of course - much easier to sink the boot in.

“I would say it's beyond make or break, we're well beyond that stage,” Moore said, though he felt there were examples of how it could be lifted from the mire, citing how Ireland, with their centralised efforts at high-performance level had lifted them to being one of the best rugby nations in the world right now.

Australian rugby, often seen as elitist in the wider sporting scene there, needed to work past the internal political rivalries that had been a trademark of the game.

“We need to work together a lot more, that's really important. We need more alignment between the provincial unions around high performance, commercial arrangements – all that kind of stuff,” Moore said.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
None of thise are actually fleshed out fixes. More broad statements that are easily trotted out when not actually having anything specific to address. The game has serious issues. No doubt. And criticism is fair. But he hasn't actually offered anything beyond that and certainly hasn't provided any deeper thoughts on how to address them.