• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
It also gives a lot of the people a leave pass by making these wide ranging statements, they are in a way absolving themselves of any blame or responsibilty "sort of I told you so"
The worrying part of his statement though is the feeling within his group of associates that are frustrated as well. I mean this guy played at the highest level and yet he's saying there all pretty disallusioned.
Its the one level of the game that has been handsomely funded.

I still think we keep having the wrong conversation though, the game cannot improve until it gets greater penetration at the domestic level.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
None of thise are actually fleshed out fixes. More broad statements that are easily trotted out when not actually having anything specific to address. The game has serious issues. No doubt. And criticism is fair. But he hasn't actually offered anything beyond that and certainly hasn't provided any deeper thoughts on how to address them.
Of course, but I don't think that sort of depth of response would be well received or wanted by either the publisher or most readers, so don't think it's the platform for it - hence why we keep getting articles in this vein.

Hoggy's right in saying the key takeaway is that a centurion ex-captain Wallaby, and those within his rugby circles, are becoming disillusioned. What chance does the game have with the general public?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Of course, but I don't think that sort of depth of response would be well received or wanted by either the publisher or most readers, so don't think it's the platform for it - hence why we keep getting articles in this vein.

Hoggy's right in saying the key takeaway is that a centurion ex-captain Wallaby, and those within his rugby circles, are becoming disillusioned. What chance does the game have with the general public?

I'm not suggesting that the issue of disillusionment isn't a serious problem. Because it absolutely is. But these kinds of articles are part of that disillusionment as they just look to add to the misery without offering alternatives to the current state of play. Perhaps Moore has ideas and if so I for one who love to hear them. It's just that this seems to be yet another article heaping more hopelessness on the situation which at least in my opinion isn't conducive to actually fixing the issues in the game.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not Quade & his coaching relationship related unfortunately for the thread but the 7s is dead right now. I know it’s not the weekend yet but almost everyone I know took today off.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not Quade & his coaching relationship related unfortunately for the thread but the 7s is dead right now. I know it’s not the weekend yet but almost everyone I know took today off.
Nah definitely not dead.

I’m at the ground today and there’s plenty of people here. Plenty of young people, kids and girls which differs from the traditional rugby crowd.

Fridays is always a quiet day, but it’s persisted with by RA so women aren’t bumped onto the secondary field like NZRugby did in Hamilton.

This will be the last year it’s a 3 day event as the new format next season will allow the entire tournament to be compressed into 2 days using one pitch.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Nah definitely not dead.

I’m at the ground today and there’s plenty of people here. Plenty of young people, kids and girls which differs from the traditional rugby crowd.

Fridays is always a quiet day, but it’s persisted with by Rugby Australia so women aren’t bumped onto the secondary field like NZRugby did in Hamilton.

This will be the last year it’s a 3 day event as the new format next season will allow the entire tournament to be compressed into 2 days using one pitch.
Definitely.

last night was a waste of time. 2 Days is much better.

Could be recency bias and I don’t know what his history of 15s is like and I get the major differences in the games now but does anyone think Roache could play Fullback in 15s? It’s one of the most speculated positions in Aus Rugby with very few genuine 15s even at Super level.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Definitely.

last night was a waste of time. 2 Days is much better.

Could be recency bias and I don’t know what his history of 15s is like and I get the major differences in the games now but does anyone think Roache could play Fullback in 15s? It’s one of the most speculated positions in Aus Rugby with very few genuine 15s even at Super level.

Purely because there isnt a 2nd pitch, it will all be 2 days from next yr with 12 teams in each boys & girls. I mean you prob could have put games on the roosters training ground but uncle Nick would have kicked up a stink & put his hand out.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Purely because there isnt a 2nd pitch, it will all be 2 days from next yr with 12 teams in each boys & girls. I mean you prob could have put games on the roosters training ground but uncle Nick would have kicked up a stink & put his hand out.
They’ve used the training ground outside the SFS in previous years, but it’s a bad look to have the gold medal, World series, and World Cup-winning Australian women’s side playing games on a training paddock.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Roosters have nothing to do with it, they don’t own Kippax or Tramway ovals, that land is owned by the Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust. Roosters lease space including an agreement for field access, just like Sydney Swans and Rugby Australia.

They’re not using a second field because both men and women deserve the primary field, and not pushed to a field with no stands, ammenities, or broadcast coverage.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
They’ve used the training ground outside the SFS in previous years, but it’s a bad look to have the gold medal, World series, and World Cup-winning Australian women’s side playing games on a training paddock.

They did it last week in Hamilton & your right its not a good look. Anyway all will be resolved come next yr

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Benny Alexander has put up some ideas on how to make Rugby stronger in Australia;

Can't say I disagree with a single point. More importantly, it's refreshing to see a former player actually put something in writing, for the public that are concrete ideas rather than vibes or sweeping statements like we've seen other former front rowers (Moore and Kearns) put out.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The streaming service one is pretty dumb and I don't get the comparison to American sports, all of them still have their games produced by TV stations or Amazon. Their "league pass" platforms essentially just content aggregators no different to Kayo. Only occasional games are done by NFL/NBA TV (I'm not exactly sure who they contract production out to)

If they and the big football leagues have scale yet still can't find a self-streaming model that produces more $ than selling the broadcast rights, there is zero chance it would be a prudent decision for RA.

and, wasn't the whole point of leaving Foxtel to "get more eyeballs" ?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ben Alexander’s points just come across as generic talking points to me than actual ideas.
I like Ben a lot but the man is constantly trying to jumpstart a career as a motivational speaker/blogger. Every single week he's posted a new twitter thread in the hope it goes viral.

I ate a packet of timtams this morning. But this time, without a glass of milk. A THREAD.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ben Alexander’s points just come across as generic talking points to me than actual ideas.

A lot of people's do. I saw something similar from Stephen Moore and while I agree with the sentiments, how about something a bit more concrete than: we've gotta fix the grass roots!! OK, how?

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
A lot of people's do. I saw something similar from Stephen Moore and while I agree with the sentiments, how about something a bit more concrete than: we've gotta fix the grass roots!! OK, how?
Realistically though, is it up to ex-players to propose solutions? There's also the issue of self-preservation - publicly offering unsolicited advice to your former / current / future employer is unlikely to be well received.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Realistically though, is it up to ex-players to propose solutions? There's also the issue of self-preservation - publicly offering unsolicited advice to your former / current / future employer is unlikely to be well received.
Nah but if they are going to bang on like stuck pigs constantly (including signing letters to oust CEOs) they can damn well contribute.

This opinion seems controversial but I don't really understand what these ex-players have to add to the administration of the game unless they've gone out and added some kind of managerial qualifications and experience to their CVs. Does being real good at throwing a lineout give you some kind of particular insight into sports administration?

I usually assume they add absolutely nothing of value and just get involved because mates. They were good at playing the game not running it.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
This opinion seems controversial but I don't really understand what these ex-players have to add to the administration of the game unless they've gone out and added some kind of managerial qualifications and experience to their CVs. Does being real good at throwing a lineout give you some kind of particular insight into sports administration?
This is the view I hold as well, hence my question of why they should provide solutions. I understand your point that their comments add little value, but sometimes if you make enough noise, people start to listen.

Also maybe worth noting some of the names mentioned (Moore and Kearns specifically) have moved onto successful careers in management.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Personally I believe a lot of these shared ideals these days are more designed to self validate been a good citizen than actually add value to the constituents people are trying to represent. Not saying people like Ben or Stephen don’t truly believe their heart is in the right place, but there is a massive unconscious desire to self validate in the social media age. I just don’t think society as a whole achieves much through constant discourse and no action.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

As people who have been involved in the game from grass roots to the elite level I'd hope that they'd at least have some idea, especially if they've moved to careers outside of footy with leadership responsibility (many have).

I guess I just get tired of hearing a lot of hot air and motherhood statements (not just in rugby) without any real substance behind it. Like if we just wish hard enough good things will happen.