• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's somewhat funny money though because Rugby Australia certainly won't be footing anywhere close to the whole bill.

I'd bet pretty much anything that someone who is really keen on Sua'ali'i playing rugby has fronted up a lot of money to make it happen.

I wonder if it is the Kings Old Boy referred to earlier in the thread?
I wish I had the kind of money to just throw at random footballers because I fancy it.

I certainly don't think he's worth $1.6m but if we aren't paying most of it who cares. He'll definitely bring some eyeballs - for a while at least.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Being an avid watcher of GPS rugby for a number of years, Jorgensen was a far superior player at FB for Joeys than Sua'ali'i was at Kings in their time playing 1st XV. It seems like an extraordinary amount of money for a kid who played 5 years of rugby while at Kings.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really don’t get these attitudes, do you want to win or not? Everyone complains we don’t have the talent to compete and all our best talent is playing league. Now he signs and it’s all do we really need him?

Unfortunately our players have options unlike other countries, if we want the best, we have to pay the best.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Being an avid watcher of GPS rugby for a number of years, Jorgensen was a far superior player at FB for Joeys than Sua'ali'i was at Kings in their time playing 1st XV. It seems like an extraordinary amount of money for a kid who played 5 years of rugby while at Kings.
That's probably true however Sua'ali'i was in year 10 and 16 years old the last of the 2 years he played 1st xv

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I really don’t get these attitudes, do you want to win or not? Everyone complains we don’t have the talent to compete and all our best talent is playing league. Now he signs and it’s all do we really need him?

Unfortunately our players have options unlike other countries, if we want the best, we have to pay the best.
Agreed. We could potentially have Jorgensen, Sua'ali'i and Petaia as a back 3 at some stage all in their prime. Athletically could be the most impressive back 3 ever, let’s see how they turn out as rugby players but no doubting the potential there.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
At the U16 champs a few years ago, there were 3 absolute standouts/superstars
- Sua’alli
- Ned Slack Smith
- Teddy Wilson

Will be interesting if the other two reach the dizzy paygrade of Joseph. Probably wishing they’d gone to league for a while, to get the price up.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I must admit to not knowing much about this Sua'ali'i kid, just thought it was interesting while watching Breakdown the other night how strongly the panel on there were on the idea of him being signed. All thought it was great, and loved the idea of Wallabies getting someone who could well be a real star, and getting a name that everyone will know.
I must admit for myself seeing the NRL squirmimg seeminly probably gives me some pleasure too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Some thoughts on the Suallii situation, I wonder how much is related to RA negotiating a new broadcast agreement for 2025 and the Private Equity discussion.

it’s interesting when you listen to McLennan talk about the signing, he lists 3 key factors behind the signing and price paid; crowds, commercial revenue and on-field performance.

Just look at the amount of media coverage it has generated this week, and likewise the Eddie Jones signing and subsequent media engagement.

*understand the on-field contribution is been discussed in other threads, just wanted an area to discuss the commercial factors.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Some thoughts on the Suallii situation, I wonder how much is related to Rugby Australia negotiating a new broadcast agreement for 2025 and the Private Equity discussion.

it’s interesting when you listen to McLennan talk about the signing, he lists 3 key factors behind the signing and price paid; crowds, commercial revenue and on-field performance.

Just look at the amount of media coverage it has generated this week, and likewise the Eddie Jones signing and subsequent media engagement.

*understand the on-field contribution is been discussed in other threads, just wanted an area to discuss the commercial factors.
The absolute teeth gnashing from the NRL world is worth 1.6 alone

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Screenshot_20230328_065347_Facebook.jpg

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Some thoughts on the Suallii situation, I wonder how much is related to Rugby Australia negotiating a new broadcast agreement for 2025 and the Private Equity discussion.

The same was said about Folau signing and even bigger cause he would attract AFL supporters due to he played in 3 footy codes

Nothing of that happened, at least not at the level RA thought. And Izzy performances on field were astonishing. 60 tries at Super Rugby and 37 at international level. One man can't change 20 years of bad decisions