• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
McLennan added that there is another player wanting to make the switch.

“As of yesterday there is one unnamed person out of league who have put their hand up to come across,” he said.

Nathan Cleary on Union
“At the moment I’m pretty happy with where I’m at. Somewhere down the track maybe (I’d consider switching).”

Throw the kitchen sink at Cleary. That would be incredible. Wonder who it is. Doubt someone as big as Cleary, would be cool for Asofa-Solomona, though he is already 27, would prefer someone a couple years younger.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Nathan Cleary on Union

Throw the kitchen sink at Cleary. That would be incredible. Wonder who it is. Doubt someone as big as Cleary, would be cool for Asofa-Solomona, though he is already 27, would prefer someone a couple years younger.
Every league player will say they want to come now, even if they have no intention of coming to try and leverage more no from league

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Every league player will say they want to come now, even if they have no intention of coming to try and leverage more no from league
Modern day League players greatly overestimate their ability. They are no longer professionally fitter nor are big hits limited to League. Not very many of them at all would succeed in Rugby Union - particularly League forwards and inside backs. As a generalisation it has usually been only outside backs who have been able to make a transition. The advanced and more numerous skills needed in Rugby Union and the complexity of the game where every component is a contest is beyond the capability of most Leaguies. If I was Rugby Australia I would not be offering contracts to any League player who was not an outside back and did not have a high quality Rugby Union background before being poached by League.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Penisini would be a target for sure with his history and relationship with Joseph but as qwerty said he is with Parramatta through 2025. Has that contract been signed though? I was listening to some RL chat about it not being confirmed yet and just agreed to?

Another target who has been identified is Tolu Koula at Manly out of Newington. 20 Years old and I'd be confident in saying faster than anyone in Rugby right now with a 10.58 100m time as a schoolboy.

Others like Murray Taulagi have surely been spoken about.

I know a lot had been made of Cam Murray but I have concerns over his longevity. He's not a massive bloke and he plays in the middle in League. We shouldn't be paying huge money for someone I don't think will be at the top of his game by 2027. He has said he's interested in Rugby and of course he should be. He has the ability to play it and might enjoy some Japanese seasons at the end of his career.

I find Cleary chat funny. (I'd love to have him) but of course any player would play our game if offered the right money. I believe he's already on about 1.3m, so you're really going to have to stump it up to drag him away from a back-to-back premiership team with his Dad as coach and the likelihood they will be playing for Premierships for the next 10 years. Current NSW & Kangaroos Halfback. With those match payments and his endorsements, it wouldn't surprise me if he earns close to 2m.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Speaking of Scots, Roosters & Rugby anybody know the situation with Billy Smith. I know his knees have been shot to shit with the Roosters but he's only 23 and Centre is a position we need to look at.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Speaking of Scots, Roosters & Rugby anybody know the situation with Billy Smith. I know his knees have been shot to shit with the Roosters but he's only 23 and Centre is a position we need to look at.

He's still in their full-time squad this year - he only did the latest ACL injury in the late rounds of last year, I reckon he's another few months away from returning to NSW Cup level.