• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The propensity of athletes and bureaucrats to lose mobile phones is really for discussion elsewhere, no matter how convenient that loss may be to the parties concerned.

This thread should be about the relationship between the ARU, the Grass roots (Australian Rugby) and the Professional Game in Australia (Super Rugby and the Wallabies).

As unsatisfactory as some Gaggerlanders may think the outcomes may be from Bealegate, SexualHarrassmentgate, Textgate, MediaBeatUpgate, and Resignationgate, it is a closed issue.

I reckon it is well past Time to move on.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Now that Gail Kelly has announced her resignation as CEO of Westpac and is looking for something else to do, I think we should try to get her to Chair the ARU.
She has a number of key strengths that I think would make her ideal for the job:
  • She didn't go to a GPS school.
  • She's not a male rugby "boof head" so can think clearly.
  • She's a South African woman i.e. understands rugby.
  • She's run and grown a successful business through a financial crisis.
  • She understands you need to have customers if you're going to have a successful business.
  • She doesn't suffer bull shit.
What do others think? how would we lobby to get her the gig?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Now that Gail Kelly has announced her resignation as CEO of Westpac and is looking for something else to do, I think we should try to get her to Chair the ARU.
She has a number of key strengths that I think would make her ideal for the job:
  • She didn't go to a GPS school.
  • She's not a male rugby "boof head" so can think clearly.
  • She's a South African woman i.e. understands rugby.
  • She's run and grown a successful business through a financial crisis.
  • She understands you need to have customers if you're going to have a successful business.
  • She doesn't suffer bull shit.
What do others think? how would we lobby to get her the gig?
100% agree.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So I wake today and read in the Telegraph that the ARU is ceasing its support of Australian Rugby - not supporting club rugby (what i read referenced the Shute Shield).

Note - I understand the media can often twist stories or provide just one side, but:

So stop feeding your kids and watch them grow and develop.

It is these very clubs that all Wallabies have an association with in some capacity.

It is these very clubs that kicked the can to get the NRC up and running, whilst one state NRC teams had the support of a Super 15 structure.

It is these very clubs that should be supported because they are the ones doing it for love and developing the grass roots in their community so rugby grows stronger.

• Start of the year they charge grass root clubs extra per team.
  • Now they decide to limit / stop contributions to the grass roots.
I started this thread because there was a huge gap between the ARU, and the punters that spend time on forums such at this because they love the game (Australian Rugby).

Example of this is in this mornings tele.

REALLY

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Gail Kelly ponders ... the International Monetary Fund (or something similar) or Australian Rugby ?... the choice is clear ! At this point in her retirement (which has not kicked in yet) she may want something more relaxed like being a Middle Peace Negotiator .... All jokes aside , she would bring clarity and engagement to the ARU processes and its counterparties . The only problem is that she could only take on the job "Pro Bono" as the ARU could not afford her , which may be possible if she is not aligned to any other charities - would love to think she would consider the challenge -- it would be like many of us considering whether or not we would appear on "Big Brother" with NO as the stern reply ....I have seen her on the sidelines at a few CAS Rugby matches so don't give up hope ....

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Link for Dave Beat's Post

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ver-funding-cuts/story-fni2fxyf-1227123554084

Can we have a fan forum at ARU headquarters. Maybe get the lot of the incompetent fools to resign? Sure as shit though Pulver and Hawker will take the money out of the coffee tin before they leave, if they haven't spent it on some media consultants already or an add campaign featuring Hooper getting a haircut.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I can see it now ..."ARU Board & management Fan Day" BYO Rotten Fruit ! Silent Auction Articles (all signed by the board) : Item 1- Code of Conduct , Item 2 - ARU Mission Statement , Item 3- Coaches Contracts (Set of 3 covering 2 years 2012-2014) , Item 4 "Cone of Silence" (as used by the ARU Board)- Invisible to the naked eye but it is there ! and we'll throw in a set of steak knives AND the complete boxed set of 2014 NRC matches covered by Fox (ok , not so many ) , Item 5 - One slightly used phone (one lady owner) , And a bonus 2nd phone unclaimed but not yet found , Item 6 One Tee Shirt ...looks harmless enough though but not a good look at altitude . It sounds like a day you'll never get back , so go on join the Lynch..I mean crowd .

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Link for Dave Beat's Post

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ver-funding-cuts/story-fni2fxyf-1227123554084

Can we have a fan forum at ARU headquarters. Maybe get the lot of the incompetent fools to resign? Sure as shit though Pulver and Hawker will take the money out of the coffee tin before they leave, if they haven't spent it on some media consultants already or an add campaign featuring Hooper getting a haircut.

The ARU board needs to be purged completely and ruthlessly and the CEO needs to go as well.
purge.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can see it now ."ARU Board & management Fan Day" BYO Rotten Fruit ! Silent Auction Articles (all signed by the board) : Item 1- Code of Conduct , Item 2 - ARU Mission Statement , Item 3- Coaches Contracts (Set of 3 covering 2 years 2012-2014) , Item 4 "Cone of Silence" (as used by the ARU Board)- Invisible to the naked eye but it is there ! and we'll throw in a set of steak knives AND the complete boxed set of 2014 NRC matches covered by Fox (ok , not so many ) , Item 5 - One slightly used phone (one lady owner) , And a bonus 2nd phone unclaimed but not yet found , Item 6 One Tee Shirt .looks harmless enough though but not a good look at altitude . It sounds like a day you'll never get back , so go on join the Lynch..I mean crowd .

Item 7 GPS old boys tie, Item 8 corporate lunch/dinner menus (French wine included)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So the Shute has missed out on the ARU's $28k. That's less than KB (Kurtley Beale)'s fine.*

But this is the key question: If people want the ARU to fund the Shute Shield, then what is the point of the NSWRU?

I mean the QRU funding to the Qld Premier comp is 9-10 times that amount. I'm sure the NSWRU provides even more than that to the Shute Shield (if they don't, they're useless and should be scrapped).

*Hmmm. Can the Shute Shield somehow be redefined as a Women's Shelter? What about if we get Gail Kelly on board? That should work, right?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I can see it now ."ARU Board & management Fan Day" BYO Rotten Fruit ! Silent Auction Articles (all signed by the board) : Item 1- Code of Conduct , Item 2 - ARU Mission Statement , Item 3- Coaches Contracts (Set of 3 covering 2 years 2012-2014) , Item 4 "Cone of Silence" (as used by the ARU Board)- Invisible to the naked eye but it is there ! and we'll throw in a set of steak knives AND the complete boxed set of 2014 NRC matches covered by Fox (ok , not so many ) , Item 5 - One slightly used phone (one lady owner) , And a bonus 2nd phone unclaimed but not yet found , Item 6 One Tee Shirt .looks harmless enough though but not a good look at altitude . It sounds like a day you'll never get back , so go on join the Lynch..I mean crowd .

Pearler of a post

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So the Shute has missed out on the ARU's $28k. That's less than KB (Kurtley Beale)'s fine.*

But this is the key question: If people want the ARU to fund the Shute Shield, then what is the point of the NSWRU?

I mean the QRU funding to the Qld Premier comp is 9-10 times that amount. I'm sure the NSWRU provides even more than that to the Shute Shield (if they don't, they're useless and should be scrapped).

*Hmmm. Can the Shute Shield somehow be redefined as a Women's Shelter? What about if we get Gail Kelly on board? That should work, right?

Lost me a little - my eyes and we can all see thing differently no issues, we seem to have allot of "RU's" at the moment in - different topic, are they all needed?

I made reference to the ARU -
  • I sat on the fence with the $200 (from memory) per team for all grass roots clubs, used wisely and reinvested it could have been good for the grass roots.
  • ARU - this mornings article, I would still like to know and understand more, hence i didn't unleash. But seriously it is club rugby that kids build through, then onto the Shute Shield, and then onto possibly higher honors.
As i said, I'd like to hear / understand more - to stop feeding growth, what happens?????
Can the Wallabies grow.
Can the Waratahs grow.
But for fuck sake club rugby can grow, whether it be a new subbies team, whether it be Penrith 3rd grade colts team, or even Allambie Jets mini rugby - they can all grow enormously.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Lost me a little - my eyes and we can all see thing differently no issues, we seem to have allot of "RU's" at the moment in - different topic, are they all needed?

The question is a rhetorical device to cut through the crap:

If various lower level "Rugby Unions" were really scrapped (it might cull a few blazers) but you'd still need local "rugby committees" in each region. A rose by any other name . . . So the reality is they are not going be scrapped.​
However there can be a clear delineation of roles. If you have a NSWRU then it should be running and funding RU in NSW.​
They still get their grant funding share from the national level.​

But let's be clear about the present direct ARU grant to the Shute.

$28k divided by 12 clubs is 2300 bucks and change. (wrong - corrected in posts below)​
I made reference to the ARU -
  • I sat on the fence with the $200 (from memory) per team for all grass roots clubs, used wisely and reinvested it could have been good for the grass roots.
  • ARU - this mornings article, I would still like to know and understand more, hence i didn't unleash. But seriously it is club rugby that kids build through, then onto the Shute Shield, and then onto possibly higher honors.
As i said, I'd like to hear / understand more - to stop feeding growth, what happens?????
Can the Wallabies grow.
Can the Waratahs grow.
But for fuck sake club rugby can grow, whether it be a new subbies team, whether it be Penrith 3rd grade colts team, or even Allambie Jets mini rugby - they can all grow enormously.
Instead of paying the ABC to televise the Shute, what about the Junior Gold program, the national U20 competition, women's rugby, junior sevens etc, etc.

This is what the ARU should be prioritising. The NSWRU pays for the Shute.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Is it $28k per club, or $2300 per club - has any body confirmed 100%.
Okay, sorry you're right. I checked what the Qld Premier comp got last year and it was $15k per club so the Shute sides must be on $28k not $2300.

So Pappy has a bit of a reason to whinge after all.

In saying that, I still think the NSWRU should be the one funding it with the ARU spending on the priority areas for the national game as mentioned.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Okay, sorry you're right. I checked what the Qld Premier comp got last year and it was $15k per club so the Shute sides must be on $28k not $2300.

So Pappy has a bit of a reason to whinge after all.

In saying that, I still think the NSWRU should be the one funding it with the ARU spending on the priority areas for the national game as mentioned.

Kiap - all these RU's gets confusing - and i don't know the financial structure as it flows down. Maybe there are some blazers we don't need - i do not know, but as communicated through media - i don't agree.

Most Shute Shield clubs are in touch with the community grass roots clubs, and i see it as being far more economical supporting the Shute clubs in their feeding and developing the growth of grass roots.

T

Train Without a Station

Then it's in a way that supports the clubs, not the best interests of the game

T

TOCC

Well, the senior clubs in Perth, Melbourne and Canberra don't receive the grants that the Shute Shield and Premier Rugby have received.

I understand that taking a grant away would upset many in the club land, but i really question whether clubs should have directly been receiving grants to start with. Was there a due diligence conducted on where the money was been spent? Whats the status of Shute Shield clubs directing some funds into the pockets of certain players? How has that money been spent for the benefit of the game?