• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

In just the same way that GPS 1 were beaten by a better side this year, perhaps the same could be said for the CAS 16s last year!

I wasnt taking anything away from GPS 16s last year but the CAS mob weren't happy the selectors dicked them around with positional changes but it obviously happens.

B

Backline_Move

The 16's is also about man management.

They play 4 intense games over a Saturday and Sunday with a squad of 23 players with sometimes injured on the day.

I remember 2015 CAS lost two kids early in the first game then had to try work with the rest of the players for four games.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
16s is 3 games, but agree man management is important through judicious use of the bench. But man management wasn't the reason for the changes - it was selectors. As it happened, the 2 players moved on instruction were both selected for NSW in the 'new' positions, so it worked for them, but not so much for the team.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Congrats to Knox Centre Hunter Myers selected as reserve for NsW 1.

He wasn't in the shadows but appears to have leap frogged the Waverley centre Wallace.

I mean, I'm Knox through and through, but the way they have done that to the Waverley centre and what they are doing to Donaldson is starting to look a little bit ridiculous.

Cmon guys this is becoming crazy.

Spoke to Knox coach today who said the Barker coach had called and spoken to him about who to select as well. It's great for Hunter, but this is looking bad now.

If this had happened to Knox kids we would have been putting in formal complaints.

BM,

Certainly appreciate your openness and honesty.
I was there today and there are a number of Waverley boys,parents,and supporters who are understandable very upset.
But have said nothing, just hope tomorrow that fairness and sanity return, in tomorrows matches, but suspect it maybe too late.

Regardless of school, how can boys be selected in a team, based on a large number of school games, believe they are the NSW1 no 10 and 12, and have that taken away from them, by what, on the surface, appears to be favouritism elsewhere.

I believe coaches should be bound to coach the team, by number, that has been handed to them, not be able to talk to an associate or mate, after the fact,and then disregard what you would have thought was a robust selection process.

Yes this is a serious comp, no doubt about that, but we need to remember that these are still boys, and do not deserve this type of deflating treatment.

They have trained so hard and then this happens.

If anyone can shed any light on this there are a lot of people who would like a logical explanation.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
To be honest, announcing shadows publicly is unnecessary and creates controversy - I have no idea why they do it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
H
Happened in the finals here last year with the coach moving Tyrone to the centres for the final , leaving the first selected centre (Will Terry) on the bench --- look how that worked out - Armstrong and co had a picnic

and the year before (maybe it was the year before that) they had McGregor at 15 ahead of his school mate Freeman who from memory was 15 in GPS 1s when McGregor was GPS1's at 10.
Despite that McGregor, who was already carrying a knee injury, made it through to Oz Schools at 10.
These anomalies appear every year.
Presumably they have a depth chart and if they don't they should so that the Barker coach doesn't just ring up the Knox coach and make a deal. Would also overcome the need to name shadows.
Anyone know whats going on North of the Tweed for 2 years now?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
B

Both of them. In fact Qld 2 beat Qld1 in the play off for 5th or was it 7th? And they got 11 in the 2 Schoolboys teams.
I think the QLD boys on the whole all worthy of selection last year.

I think the problem last year and probably this year as well is that Rugby didn't start till term 3, and selectors would have taken that into consideration. The boys had played very little rugby and not match fit at that stage.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Agree thought Moretti was strong also. WHY would the coach swap out Donaldson (who has been the best 10 in NSW all year) to fullback??? Also was underwhelmed by the CS 17 who seems to have a lot of hype about him (needs a lot more mobility)
A very clinical performance by the 1s looking forward to watching the rest of the games.

Redblack,

Re Donaldson being swapped out!

I think you know the answer to that!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
We've also got to remember we assign values to the numbers players wear that the coaches might not.

Currently, most coaching systems have some variation of 10s defending deep and 15s play making. Sometimes they play right/left playmaker for example. Based on what a team is doing, 10/15 can be interchangeable.

It's best to think of players as having been selected for traits and skills, not positions.

It's the same debate we had last year with Chieka playing Folau at 15 not 13 and Chieks basically said "they attack in the same channels anyway". Unless you're in champ, it's hard to tell what's up.

First phase

Allen Oxlade (6)
It would appear the coaches of NSW 1 have pretty big egos - or maybe they were just giving the best players a rest before QLD 2 game tomorrow

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
We've also got to remember we assign values to the numbers players wear that the coaches might not.

Currently, most coaching systems have some variation of 10s defending deep and 15s play making. Sometimes they play right/left playmaker for example. Based on what a team is doing, 10/15 can be interchangeable.

It's best to think of players as having been selected for traits and skills, not positions.

It's the same debate we had last year with Chieka playing Folau at 15 not 13 and Chieks basically said "they attack in the same channels anyway". Unless you're in champ, it's hard to tell what's up.

amirite,

I understand your knowledge here and sensitivity to this but I am pretty sure the boys etc don't know this, they believe they are chosen as informed, and so does everyone else.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
amirite,

I understand your knowledge here and sensitivity to this but I am pretty sure the boys etc don't know this, they believe they are chosen as informed, and so does everyone else.

Are you sure?

Kids are pretty smart nowadays, most of these guys have spent 2 years under coaches making well over $100k a year. They really, deeply know the game.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Are you sure?

Kids are pretty smart nowadays, most of these guys have spent 2 years under coaches making well over $100k a year. They really, deeply know the game.

amirite,

I know you are trying to be nice but I was in the thick of it today, and the disappointment was most obvious, and so some of the fathers had provide pep talks so they would keep their heads high.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
amirite,

I know you are trying to be nice but I was in the thick of it today, and the disappointment was most obvious, and so some of the fathers had provide pep talks so they would keep their heads high.

I may have my wires crossed, but are you saying Fathers had to give starting players pep talks because they weren't playing their position of preference, but were still starting?

Status
Not open for further replies.