• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am going to guess that the he majority of schoolboy and Baa Bar players will come from the 3 v 4 playoff if its Nsw1 v Qld 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I would say most. But some boys in those teams considered certainties up till now will miss selection. Boys in Q2 and ACT will have played themselves into contention.

It happened last year as well.

S

sidelineview

Last year N2 and VIC were equal on points. For and against not considered. N2 went to the final on the basis they defeated VIC.

So could be the same senerio.

NSW2 gained a bonus point last year for losing to Qld1 by 7 or less points.

4 for a win
2 for a draw
1 for a loss by 7 or less
0 for a loss by more than 7
1 for scoring 4 tries or more

S

sidelineview

You obviously didn't see the final last year between NSW 1 & 2, where NSW 1, previously undefeated, lost to NSW 2.

THAT was one of the worst coaching performances in NSW schools history.

NSW2 was the better team on the day in the Final last year. I argued then and I argue now that you couldn't blame the coach even though people wanted to hang him. NSW2 played much better as a team and starved NSW1 of possession. Beat them in all areas of the game and played with greater confidence. Anything can happen in a Final. It was a comprehensive win, it wasn't close, so credit goes to NSW2.

Ironically, the coaching staff of NSW2 last year is the same personnel in charge of NSW1 this year. There wasn't a hint of trouble or low morale within the group last year. no doubt questions will be asked as to why it was different this year.

QLD2 played really well today and thoroughly deserved their win. It was bloody close but they were the better team on the day. The replay will have to be watched to get a better picture of the game.

I thought NSW might try to work the ball infield for a shot at field goal right at the death but a slim opportunity went begging and nek minit Qld were up the other end of the field again. But NSW did have 60 minutes to win and didnt.

Thats life in the fast lane.

I was very happy to see Ben Donaldson play a full game at 10 and have an excellent game, however i will say it is extremely disappointing to hear of low morale, players losing confidence etc through accusations of poor man management. The noise about it is a bit too loud to ignore.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting game today.

Watching the NsW team try play as individuals surely a result of the coaching groups efforts to turn the players against each other.

Hopefully the terrible work they have done with they're playing group this year is noticed.
They have turned players that have destroyed every team in front of them to a group of kids trying to do stupid things to show how good they are. As individuals
Well done Lachlan white and Dean Hargreaves. You two should be ashamed.

Why don't u appreciate a good game of rugby today . Qld 2 were very very good today and deserved to win on the day . Some players got found out today , that's the reality and some players stood up especially the Qld 8 outstanding and the difference today .

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
You obviously didn't see the final last year between NSW 1 & 2, where NSW 1, previously undefeated, lost to NSW 2.

THAT was one of the worst coaching performances in NSW schools history.
Shane, I know SLV has replied to this post already and I agree with his comments.

But really give N2 some credit. They thoroughly deserved the win.

Don't think any coach on the planet could have changed that result on that day.

The 2 Rixon trys were brilliant no coaching would prevent them from being scored.

Then the N2 forwards dominated for the rest of the match.

N1 didn't play that badly just a better team stopped them playing to their potential.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So Ami Lea#11 outplayed A H on the left wing and #14Mila Tuilagi playing centre smashed everything NSW ran at Qld 2... I think those 2 and the 8 were the difference out there today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne McLean

Peter Burge (5)
Surprising news that NSW 1 second rower Nick Frost is about to sign a deal with the Crusaders and will be lost from Australian rugby. The alarming thing is that Frost's old man works for the ARU and he is concerned that Australian rugby is not in a position to develop Nick hence the move to NZ. With Frost eligible to represent England expect him to end up in the UK after the stint with the Crusaders
Some more NFrost propaganda migrating from the CAS feed. Poor kid.
Although not poor when provided with the God Given attributes of 208cm & an Athletics background & free education in an elite private school should translate into a potentially successful career. His line out on own throw is certain & solid though I'd like to see him attack opposition throw at the front especially when defending 5-10m out. His ball carries rarely got over the A Line however he did not turnover to his & NSW clean out's credit. An improvement on last years championship. Tackles were missed & work rate & fitness needs further development. There were times when he must have been 60m from play. Would be great to see him run harder & offload. So much potential he has and time in NZ would be beneficial & help develop his character & all round game if to make the most of his physical advantage. Time will tell & I back him to make good decisions in the future to seize the opportunities afforded him and be one of great hopes of Australian Rugby to get fans excited and make the Wallabies great again❤️

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Went out to watch the games today.
A few observations.
A great afternoon for Queensland and a dismal showing from NSW.
NSW 2 were competitive but the QLD 1 win was a very fair reflection of the game. Qld 1 more urgent and just that bit better in every facet of the game.
And the NSW 1 loss to QLD 2 was equally a fair reflection of performance on the day.
We were well beaten at the breakdown and our backs rarely look threatening.
The backline problems started at fly half, we seemed to spend the whole match shuffling sideways or kicking possession away to little benefit.
There was rarely an aggressive line run.
Plenty of Queenslanders performed but for NSW across the 2 teams - Angus Bell, Moretti (before his injury) , Jeremy Williams and Yassmin were my picks. Frost was flawless at the line outs but was largely invisible beyond that.
Yassmin my pick of the day, looked the most dangerous back out there today.
Scored 2 tries against Qld 1 from a minimal number of touches.

S

sidelineview

"The backline problems started at fly half" ..... I thought the 10 for NSW had a good game.

Who would Wristman have as fly half?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I was very happy to see Ben Donaldson play a full game at 10 and have an excellent game, however i will say it is extremely disappointing to hear of low moral, players losing confidence etc through accusations of poor man management. The noise about it is a bit too loud to ignore.

Agreed SLV, what should have been the high point of their rugby careers to date looks like being very deflating for a few of the nsw 1 boys. Did Hardaker get much game time today and if so, was it at IC? The limited video footage I saw was buffered and hard to make out, but seemed like it may have been Woodcock at IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.