• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Australian Schoolboys Rugby League team announced on 14 July. 15 from NSW and 2 from QLD!

Wonder how many played at Riverview?

NSWCHS 1 - Dylan Smith
Endeavour Sports High School, NSW
NSWCCC 3 - Campbell Graham
Marcellin College Randwick, NSW
NSWCHS 4 - Bronson Xerri
NSWCHS 3 - Zac Lomax
Figtree High School, NSW
NSWCCC 4- Ethan Parry
St Gregory’s College Campbelltown, NSW
QSS 7 - Tanah Boyd
Keebra Park State High School, QLD
NSWCHS 7 – Dylan Brown
The Hills Sports High School, NSW
NSWCHS 8 - Ky Rodwell
Matraville Sports High School, NSW
NSWCHS 9 -Kyle Schneider
NSWCHS 10 – Oregan Kafusi
NSWCHS 11 – Teig Wilton
QSS 11 – David Fifita
Keebra Park State High School, QLD
NSWCHS 13 – Lindsay Smith
Westfields Sports High School, NSW
NSWCHS 14 – Luke Huth
Hunter Sports High School, NSW
NSWCHS 15 – Jesse Cronin
NSWCCC 8 – James Roumanos
Aquinas Catholic College Menai, NSW
NSWCCC 11 – Spencer Leniu
Patrician Brothers’ College Blacktown, NSW

A few familiar names who played at Australian Schoolboy Rugby Championships played for CIS (League)

CIS Secondary 18 & Under Rugby League Team 2017

Manager
Mitchell Clarke Penrith Christian School
CIS Players
John Downes The Riverina Anglican College
Brooklyn Hardaker Waverley College
Edenn Rogers-Smith Waverley College
Sean Vaivelata St Augustine's College
Max Lehmann St Augustine's College
Freddy Lussick St Augustine's College
Harry Wilson St Augustine's College
Cooper Johns St Augustine's College
Alec Tuitavake St Augustine's College
Harry Duggan The King's School
Kore-Lee Perenara SEDA College
Tye Siakisoni St Stanislaus' College
Matthew Morgan Oakhill College
Matthew Hammond Oakhill College
Jayden Griffin Oakhill College
Dontay Perez Macarthur Adventist College
Alfred Iva Mountain View Adventist College
Triston Reilly St Joseph's College
Tyler Roberts Macleay Vocational College
Craig McKenzie St Augustine's College

BrumbyJacksMate

Peter Burge (5)
I thought he was very unlucky to miss out. I had him in front of the ACT lock who got picked. Hunter has great size and skill. I was very surprised when his name wasn't called out.

Surely the Brumbies and the ACT have locks? Watching them play they took a team of backrowers. Would be interesting to know who played played Gold Cup an who's in their Academy. Obviously the Brumbies are doing some goods things down there given the small number of students there. But then again Pat Langtry would have had a say in the make up of the ACT Team one would think.

I'm told about 90 boys were asked to try out for the team. As for Locks..well there aren’t any giant 2+ Metre locks laying in wait in Canberra in the U18s. The boys that went to Sydney showed height isn’t everything. Their line outs were excellent and held their own. Scrums were another thing, but I think some of that came from issues in the front row, that were sorted out by game 3 and 4.

Rugby God

Bob McCowan (2)
The ACT Team had 2 Brumbies 20's players in the front row. The hooker being last year & this years Aussie Schoolboys hooker. The other front rower is a Brumbies Academy player and you are saying it was the front rows fault and expect this forum to buy that. WOW!

Can you tell us what went wrong in the ACT's front row? Please put them down even further!!!

BrumbyJacksMate

Peter Burge (5)
Not expecting the forum to buy anything, nor putting any players down. The ref wasn't happy with something, pinged them a bit. Like I said whatever it was it got sorted by later games.

Chris9012

Frank Row (1)
The ACT Team had 2 Brumbies 20's players in the front row. The hooker being last year & this years Aussie Schoolboys hooker. The other front rower is a Brumbies Academy player and you are saying it was the front rows fault and expect this forum to buy that. WOW!

Can you tell us what went wrong in the ACT's front row? Please put them down even further!!!

Mate as a front rower your job is basically set piece plays. The ACT Hooker, as you mentioned, is in his second year of Aussie's and as so his excellent throwing made the lineouts so successful. However, with the props no set piece highlights could be outlined. Their scrum was woeful and although some ridicule could be slackened for the Hooker, it is only proper that the blunt of the blame is focused on the Props. I understand that they have represented teams beyond this schoolboy level, but the issue remains that you can't pick a front row of a team that had their scrums demolished. Especially when the opposing front row will be the best NZ schoolboy players, not an Australian state side.

Rugby God

Bob McCowan (2)
Mate as a front rower your job is basically set piece plays. The ACT Hooker, as you mentioned, is in his second year of Aussie's and as so his excellent throwing made the lineouts so successful. However, with the props no set piece highlights could be outlined. Their scrum was woeful and although some ridicule could be slackened for the Hooker, it is only proper that the blunt of the blame is focused on the Props. I understand that they have represented teams beyond this schoolboy level, but the issue remains that you can't pick a front row of a team that had their scrums demolished. Especially when the opposing front row will be the best NZ schoolboy players, not an Australian state side.

I was responding to the previous message that blamed the front row, and now followed up that the ACT Scrums problem was a misunderstanding with the ref that actually got sorted out against the lighter opposition in their games 3 & 4.

Yes the ACT scrum was demolished by the stronger bigger QLD & NSW teams that they played earlier. Yes I agree that you couldn't pick the front towers based on everything you said, I agree. I will say that they was impacted by having what was basically a back 5 that was full of backrowers and zero size in the 4,5 8 in particular. Anyone who watched their first 2 games seen a side that won it on the back of the 10 & 15 plus the fact the QLD kept going goal for goals instead of playing rugby and a NSW side that rotated their whole forward back in the last 20 minutes.

Again I agree and suggest people watch ACT first 2 games. Their very light lock who got picked baa baa played like a drifting wide number 8 and their actual 8 is obviously a 7 at club level. If they played in their actually positions they may have been chosen as an 8 & 7 instead their coach failed them by playing them out of position. But like you I say please don't blame the hooker or front row for their demolished scrum, they obviously have some talent if they are already playing 20's and in the Brumbies Academy.

With respect as you obviously watched the first two games like I had done at the carnival and know what you are talking about. The NSW II 8 was very unlucky and I suggest if he played for any other team would have been picked before the very very light Brumbies lock.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Nothing against Frost, he is without a doubt a respected young man. I just feel Aust rugby need to focus on players committed to Aust Tugby and our Franchises.

I would just like to see the ARU show some interest in the future of Australian Rugby period.

We're f'n broke because they overpay lazy players who don't play nearly enough rugby.

If I had a kid with as much talent as these boys and a NZ Super side showed an interest, I'd send them on the next flight. Because sure as shit they're not going to get any decent development here.

Until they pull on a black jersey, these boys are still eligible for Australia. Maybe it's part of a cunning plan to turn talented boys into real rugby players for the Wallabies. Who am I kidding, the ARU aren't that smart.

Rugby God

Bob McCowan (2)
Ive seen some positive things from Nudgee College QLD since the start of their season and I'm hearing a couple of the Schoolboys selectors are heading up that way to look at a few players.

And don't be surprised to see a few more boys from the ACT. I'm hearing there are a couple of big locks that are in the Brumbies Academy that was unlucky not to make or was injured. One being a tall but skinny lock Who's a couple of years and 2 blokes selected in their Gold Cup teams the previous years.

I'm hearing th National Schoolboys coach is still looking at players down that way and very interested in next weeks Eddies v Marist game.

My understanding is Riley will get a start as will Harrison. They also advised that those players selected are no sure thing when it comes to final selection. They can be dropped from the final squad.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
Is there 5 or 6 positions left to be selected in aus teams ?

Who is the running ? Are they outside backs or forward positions ?

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ive seen some positive things from Nudgee College QLD since the start of their season and I'm hearing a couple of the Schoolboys selectors are heading up that way to look at a few players.

And don't be surprised to see a few more boys from the ACT. I'm hearing there are a couple of big locks that are in the Brumbies Academy that was unlucky not to make or was injured. One being a tall but skinny lock Who's a couple of years and 2 blokes selected in their Gold Cup teams the previous years.

I'm hearing th National Schoolboys coach is still looking at players down that way and very interested in next weeks Eddies v Marist game.

My understanding is Riley will get a start as will Harrison. They also advised that those players selected are no sure thing when it comes to final selection. They can be dropped from the final squad.

Not sure why they would be looking at other players who were not at National Championship, seems to me they should only be looking at players who were injured during their state trials and players injured during national championships, and at boys who trialled their hearts out all week! as I'm sure we would all agree each one of those boys earned their stripes and worked hard showing their skills and depth of character throughout the trials, the " unlucky ones" as far as I'm concerned would certainly feel even more 'overlooked' - dismissed"by the Selectors if they started to look outside of those 2 areas I've stated and incidentally did not the Selectors say at the Announcement the spots will be filled within 3 categories,
1. Players who trialled at the national champs but have yet to be named
2. Players injured during the championships or their state trial games,
3. players from Baa baas moving up. So let's see if the Selectors will keep to their "word, Otherwise to seriously say the way it is " what is the point of there being a national Championship, to raise the hopes of just under 200 boys to dash 3/4 of them down with a calling of a surname that came after theirs, Then to leave 5 spots open only for their hopes to be raised again, to then fill 2/3 spots with players who " were unlucky not to make selections into states or national championships"! Hell there's hundreds and hundreds of boys who felt the same disappointment, but it's the boys who trialled at the National champs and those injured prior or during that should be given the hope of making one of the teams for they had meet all the requirements, and selection criteria outlined by the ASRU
so now let's see if the Schools Selectors will stand by their openly published selection policies and not further disappoint these boys by overlooking them once again! show these National champ boys they too have "INTEGRITY!

Sorry folks but the more I get to hear about back room politics and boys having their hopes viciously ripped away from them because of selection mishmash the more irked I become - rant over .... signing out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Brad Thorn and George Gregan 2017.jpg

An article on Rugby.com highlighting George Gregan coming in to provide some insight to the leadership group of the Wallabies preparation for the Bledisloe series against the AB's.
I couldnt help but notice Brad Thorn chatting with GG. It made me smile cos the ARU appear serious enough to start bringing on board this type of calibre to transform the culture and achieve a high standard(quality) with the talent available in Australia.
This is good news for schoolboys transitioning into the next phase of their rugby pursuits.
Brad Thorn has transformed the REDS U20's culture from being good to excellent at the 20's level this year.Most of those boys had come through the Aust schoolboys pathway in last 2 years.
Its very interesting a few have already tasted Super rugby in this season and will be better players for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.