• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bakies Banned for 3 Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
For striking Waugh. I still haven't seen the incident myself but this could be quite significant given the Bulls run of games over the next 3 weeks.

Bulls lock Bakkies Botha handed three-match ban for striking Phil Waugh

April 14, 2009 Bulls lock Bakkies Botha will miss Friday's crucial Super 14 clash against the Brumbies after receiving a three-week ban for striking.

Botha appeared before a SANZAR judicial hearing for striking New South Wales Waratahs skipper Phil Waugh during the Bulls' 20-6 win over their hosts at Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday night.

Judicial officer Dennis Wheelahan QC (Quade Cooper) categorised the offence as mid-range where the applicable entry point is a five-week penalty.

The period of suspension was reduced to three weeks, precluding Botha from playing up to and including May 2.

Botha will miss the Bulls matches against the Brumbies in Canberra, the Chiefs in Pretoria and the Western Force in another home fixture in South Africa.

A right to appeal is available to Botha and the Bulls.

AAP

Font size: Increase font size Decrease font size Send this article: Print this article Email this article Font size: Increase font size Decrease font size Send this article: Print this article Email this article Super 14 Ladder Round 9 (Updated Apr 2009) P W D L Diff B<7p* B>4t* Pts
1 Sharks 9 7 0 2 43 0 2 30
2 Chiefs 8 5 0 3 65 3 4 27
3 Bulls 8 6 0 2 49 1 2 27
4 Waratahs 9 6 0 3 13 1 2 27
5 Hurricanes 8 5 0 3 10 2 2 24
6 Blues 8 4 0 4 -1 2 5 23
7 Highlanders 8 4 0 4 30 3 3 22
8 Crusaders 8 4 1 3 3 3 1 22
9 Brumbies 8 5 0 3 -4 0 2 22
10 Western Force 8 3 1 4 10 2 3 19
11 Stormers 8 2 0 6 9 6 1 15
12 Lions 8 2 0 6 -83 3 3 14
13 Reds 8 2 0 6 -50 3 2 13
14 Cheetahs 8 1 0 7 -94 2 1 7
* B<7p = Bonus Point awarded if a team loses by seven points or less
* B>4t = Bonus Points awarded if a team scores four or more tries
Rugby on Fox Sports TVWednesday, April 15
12:00 am IRB 7's Tournament Adelaide
09:00 am S14 Blues v Lions
10:30 am S14 Force v Hurricanes
12:00 pm S14 Highlanders v Reds
01:30 pm S14 Brumbies v Stormers
03:00 pm S14 Waratahs v Bulls
Thursday, April 16
07:00 pm S14 Blues v Lions
08:30 pm LIVE The Rugby Club
08:30 pm LIVE The Rugby Club
09:30 pm Total Rugby
09:30 pm S14 Highlanders v Reds
11:00 pm The Rugby Club
11:00 pm S14 Waratahs v Bulls
More Rugby Shows Full TV Guide

Don't have FOX SPORTS? Get it now!

Advertisement
Other Super 14 StoriesSFS: Baxter remains in mothballs Decision: Happiness the force in Brown's decision Return: Shepherd back for Tahs match Starting side: Baxter, Tahu primed for returns One-on-one: Pocock, Waugh set for face-off Bulls: Botha to face striking charge Bonus point: Cheetahs stun table-topping Sharks Super 14 Coverage
Latest NewsNew faces: Charlesworth rings the changes Upset: Teenager upsets Slater at Bells Mature: Dangerfield gets Rising Star respect Super 14: Brumbies call up captain Hoiles Outed: Magpie Maxwell accepts two weeks Second leg: Ronaldo confident of Porto progress Super 14: Botha banned for three matches Latest Coverage
Most PopularAFL ? Wallace a dead man walking Motor Sports ? Stoner saunters to win in Qatar Football ? Hiddink, Mourinho off Chelsea list Cricket ? Gibbs hands Proteas series win League ? Head finds himself going nowhere fast League ? Gutsy Bulldogs outlast Rabbitohs League ? High-flying Eagle seals Origin spot

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well

I keep waiting to see if there is additional footage, but I think whats being shown on Fox is it. He pushes Waugh on the side of his face. Grant it, an aggressive push but hardly a strike. If that's a strike, Is suggest that if you ever need representation, get Dennis Wheelahan QC (Quade Cooper). He'll believe anything you say or show him.

If there is no more footage this decision was based on it will be a total farce.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It was as bad a strike as Dunning's in SA of a few years ago.

What goes around, comes around

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I haven't seen it, but Bakkies is always due for some cooling-off time in my opinion.

Guilty!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This is a joke, banning Bakkies for blowing a flippen kiss to Waugh. Well the Brutes will just have to move on without him and Matfield. Pretty sure they may miss a bit in the lineouts but Pakslae will give something extra with Stegman back in the team. Wilhelm Steenkamp sure is one of our best young lock talents and will be itching to get a change after he fulled in last year when Matfield was in France. This bit of a break for Bakkies may help the Springbok course in a month time.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good Bakkies is a cockhead complete tosser, Bulls without Matfield this weekend also.

Good news for the Bumboys.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
fatprop said:
It was as bad a strike as Dunning's in SA of a few years ago.

What goes around, comes around

That was a punch if I recall correctly. This was a push.

It's a total fucking joke.

This isn't tiddly winks. The game is being sanitised to a ridiculous level.

Please produce evidence of the "punch" if you are goign to draw parallels to what was a punch. Else you're talkign through your arse and you know it.

Alas, his reputation has cost him. He is a hot headed bloody idiot.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I haven't seen any footage of the incident beyond what you guys have.
To get 3 weeks there must have been some other "evidence" in play I would think. Then again, this is the SANZAR judicial system, so don't try too hard to find logic, consistency and common sense in there.
All that said, it was a matter of time for Bakkies. As Disco states, he is always there or thereabouts with the argy-bargy and niggle (not that he's the only player guilty of that) and I suspect he probably tries a bit more on than some others.
The blowing of a kiss was just the aftermath, PB! That action alone says to me he's at least a smart-arse, given the ref had just warned him he was very lucky (based on the AR report), so a bit of contrition might be more in order. But that isn't bannable.

By the way, good to see Victor has the titanium arm on still. Geez, that's taking a long time to heal! ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
cyclopath said:
By the way, good to see Victor has the titanium arm on still. Geez, that's taking a long time to heal! ;)
Superman Phil Waugh not far behind. He sure have a few rolls of pleister wrap around his shoulders. :lmao:

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
cyclopath said:
I haven't seen any footage of the incident beyond what you guys have.
To get 3 weeks there must have been some other "evidence" in play I would think. Then again, this is the SANZAR judicial system, so don't try too hard to find logic, consistency and common sense in there.
All that said, it was a matter of time for Bakkies. As Disco states, he is always there or thereabouts with the argy-bargy and niggle (not that he's the only player guilty of that) and I suspect he probably tries a bit more on than some others.
The blowing of a kiss was just the aftermath, PB! That action alone says to me he's at least a smart-arse, given the ref had just warned him he was very lucky (based on the AR report), so a bit of contrition might be more in order. But that isn't bannable.

He has broken the arm three times.

Btw I agree with what you say about Bakkies. I love him when he's on and hate his guts when he loses it. I kind of understand the psyche behind the man which admittedly makes me more tolerant (plus he plays for my team lol), but you make yourself a marked man and he has. Stupid bloody Dutchman. I guess my outburst is more because if that footage on Fox news is all they went on, the penalty is way over the top. Ranger's round arm clothesline special was way worse.

He has cost the Boks tests and now he might cost the Bulls a homne semi or worse.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Blue, I know, just having a little fish - don't mind me! It's not TSF. ;D
PB, Waugh has to be taped up so much to keep that ugly head on!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Blue said:
I agree with what you say about Bakkies...Stupid bloody Dutchman.

Now, now, Blue, no racist remarks here on TYS. We might have to give you three weeks. ;D ;D ;D

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lindommer said:
Blue said:

Now, now, Blue, no racist remarks here on TYS. We might have to give you three weeks. ;D ;D ;D

Now even that would be more justified than Bakkies' three weeks. ;D

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lindommer said:
Blue said:

Ag thats what we are, Dutchmen. :lmao: Call a spade a spade , ne Boet? :thumb

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, having seen that, it is more ridiculous. But he is a goose! ;D Contact with the head seems to earn some demerit points, apparently.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Having seen it: that's a bit of a joke. Especially as Waugh looked to have started the physical contact. Retaliation will always get you nailed unfortunately - at any level of rugby. I well remember last year the opposition 8th man hitting our openside with three clean (if weak) punches to the head after he decked their flyhalf. One of our guys runs in from 10m away and he is the one getting yellow carded!

The one thing NOT in Bakkies favour is the fact he struck at the head. BIG no-no. As they commentators said - if he'd pushed the chest would it even be an issue?

Blue said:

I'm not sure what the medical collective of Pretoria think, but surely at least one of them has discussed putting the metal plate on the INSIDE of the arm? :fishing

I love him when he's on and hate his guts when he loses it.

You see those players a bit here and there - and wonder why with all their gifts, they do it. Part of the psychological makeup I think. Norm Maxwell was one for the All Blacks - all the talent, and yet without restraint when it mattered. Ali Williams, come on down! James Horwill was headed this way but looks to have taken a few of those rough edges off. Owen Finegan was another one who was a good niggler but had shithouse timing, spending a S14 final on the sideline when he decided to tap Foley on the head with his boot in the semi.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NTA said:
Having seen it: that's a bit of a joke. Especially as Waugh looked to have started the physical contact. Retaliation will always get you nailed unfortunately - at any level of rugby. I well remember last year the opposition 8th man hitting our openside with three clean (if weak) punches to the head after he decked their flyhalf. One of our guys runs in from 10m away and he is the one getting yellow carded!

The one thing NOT in Bakkies favour is the fact he struck at the head. BIG no-no. As they commentators said - if he'd pushed the chest would it even be an issue?

Blue said:

I'm not sure what the medical collective of Pretoria think, but surely at least one of them has discussed putting the metal plate on the INSIDE of the arm? :fishing
You mean they can do that!?

Lol

Apparently there's a mine's worth of titanium in there already (under the skin that is :).

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
Moses said:

Was that what he was actually banned for, or is it a case of the cockmunchers at Fox not having any footage of it and deciding this shove must've been it? I seem to recall during the game that when the touchie was giving Kaplan a report he mentioned something like 'Bulls No 4 used an elbow on the head of No 7'.

In the footage from Moses you can see the touchie running past, presumably to get his mug on tv give his report ,as Bakkies is shoving Waugh, so I reckon it was something prior to this that he was done for. Plus it looked like Waugh was reacting to something when he shoved Bakkies to 'start' it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Novocastrian said:
Moses said:

Was that what he was actually banned for, or is it a case of the cockmunchers at Fox not having any footage of it and deciding this shove must've been it? I seem to recall during the game that when the touchie was giving Kaplan a report he mentioned something like 'Bulls No 4 used an elbow on the head of No 7'.

In the footage from Moses you can see the touchie running past, presumably to get his mug on tv give his report ,as Bakkies is shoving Waugh, so I reckon it was something prior to this that he was done for. Plus it looked like Waugh was reacting to something when he shoved Bakkies to 'start' it.
You might be right - that would certainly make more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.