• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barnes leaving after Lions Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Berrick Barnes is seriously considering a move overseas after the British and Irish Lions tour of Australia next year.

Barnes, who has played 44 Tests since making his debut against Japan at the 2007 World Cup in France, has reached the stage of his career where he has to start thinking about the big money on offer in Europe and Japan.

At 26, Barnes is young enough to have a stint overseas and return to Australia in time to compete for a place in the Wallabies' 2015 World Cup squad.
"To be honest, mate, it's an option," Barnes said. "It's something I'll seriously look at. It obviously depends on where you are here in your career.
"Some guys want to go overseas and come back. Others want to go and finish their careers there. I'll be honest with you, I'll be looking at both options come next year."
Barnes has proven to be a valuable member of the Wallabies squad this year with his versatility and accurate goal-kicking.

Normally a five-eighth or inside centre, Barnes acquitted himself well at fullback in the Wallabies' 23-19 win against Argentina on the Gold Coast last Saturday night and he could wear the No. 15 jersey again in the Test against the Springboks in Pretoria.
"I enjoyed 15 the other night," Barnes said. "We'll just see what pans out. I've played three different positions this year. It all depends on the personnel. Robbie (Deans) picks it and I'm happy to be in the team anywhere, to be honest."
Barnes is one of 21 New South Waratahs Waratahs players coming off contract at the end of next year, including most of their big-name Wallabies.
"I'm sure we'll all be waiting to see how we go at the start of the year," Barnes said.
"I'm sure just about every one of us will have other options or look at other options. You'd be stupid if you didn't."

Barnes said he was looking forward to playing under new Waratahs head coach Michael Cheika, who has replaced the Perth-bound Michael Foley.
"First and foremost I'm excited about what's going to happen next year at the Waratahs with Michael coming in. He's a hard-nosed bloke and he'll bring that attitude," Barnes said.
"It's something that all the boys are excited about. We know we are going to have to put in some hard work. That's a good thing for us."
Barnes was open-minded about what position he played for the Waratahs next year, but he would like to settle into one role.
"I haven't spoken to Michael, but I'll probably sit down with him at the start of the year and ask him where he sees my best position," Barnes said. "Try and go with that and stick with it. At this level (Test) it's hard because there is so much chopping and changing and you are never guaranteed anything."

Read more: [URL='http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/wallabies-star-berrick-barnes-admits-hes-considering-moving-to-europe-or-japan-after-next-season/story-e6frf55l-1226478632364#ixzz273iCLwvj[/QUOTE']http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/wallabies-star-berrick-barnes-admits-hes-considering-moving-to-europe-or-japan-after-next-season/story-e6frf55l-1226478632364#ixzz273iCLwvj[/URL]

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Barnes of 2006-2009 played a cracking SH style game. Barnes of last 2 years has gone, dare I say it, boring.

I think a few NH clubs would love to have him punting the ball around for them as they move from scrum to lineout to scrum to shot at goal.

L

Linebacker_41

Interesting - is this another agent generated story to get his contract sorted out?

Sorry for being a cynic but at 12-15months before the contract runs out it seems the right time in the contracting cycle.

R

randalf8

Barnes of 2006-2009 played a cracking SH style game. Barnes of last 2 years has gone, dare I say it, boring.

I think a few NH clubs would love to have him punting the ball around for them as they move from scrum to lineout to scrum to shot at goal.

Maybe. If I was running a euro club I'd just go get a saffa If I wanted that. Bosman/ Kolpak ruling and all that.

Still, as a long term Wallaby he'll land somewhere on good coin.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Another Narbonne recruit coming up. It'll virtually be an Aussie team playing in the south of France soon.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

He does kick it a lot these days, I am no longer convinced he has a good kicking game however.
Too high a percentage are not a good result for his team, maybe the kick chase is insufficient, but it happens too often IMO.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting - is this another agent generated story to get his contract sorted out?

Sorry for being a cynic but at 12-15months before the contract runs out it seems the right time in the contracting cycle.

He, like QC (Quade Cooper) yesterday, may have been set up by a media person asking leading questions looking for a headline.

It is also a fairly shrewd and increasingly common practice from Player managers. They sow the seed of doubt in the mind of the current S15 franchise that the player could go at the end of the current contract. They also subtly announce to the market that they may be open to offers soon. Starting a bit of a bidding war, or reminding them of the value of having player x within their stable.

L

Linebacker_41

He, like QC (Quade Cooper) yesterday, may have been set up by a media person asking leading questions looking for a headline.

Yes after seeing GFlash's comments as to the source then it is not surprising that it has come out this way.

The reality in sport is that journo's like a scoop and player managers like to create demand for their player.

A happy marriage really.

W

What2040

That's OK Berrick. Piss off and open the door for a newbody. The machine keeps churning them out, sometimes the new suasage is better than the old one

Richo

John Thornett (49)
That's OK Berrick. Piss off and open the door for a newbody. The machine keeps churning them out, sometimes the new suasage is better than the old one

[insert obligatory Qld outrage at derisive suggestion that it would be fine if Quade left rugby]

Oh. That was about Barnes? Carry on then.

;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I wonder if the same cheery, positive outlook will be in place if Cooper leaves.

W

What2040

fatprop,
would honestly feel exactly the same if Cooper, Genia, Horwill and any others make that choice - something about the game being bigger than the individual - I have temporarily buried my reds bias down the backyard

Status
Not open for further replies.