• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barnes off to Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
STAR Wallabies and Waratahs back Berrick Barnes is understood to have committed to playing in Japan as soon as this year's Super rugby season is over after signing a contract with the Panasonic Wild Knights.
Fairfax Media has been told that Barnes will replace New Zealand playmaker Mike Delany at Panasonic, with the one-time All Black opting to further his career in France.
A move by Barnes, 26, to Panasonic that is based in Ota City in Gunma prefecture and plays in the Japanese Top League, would be a huge blow to the Waratahs, who play their first of three Super Rugby trials against the Rebels in Hobart on Saturday night.
The news will be a blow to new Waratahs coach Michael Cheika. Coming so close to the Super Rugby season, the news will ensure that the Waratahs' campaign now faces some unwanted off-field turmoil.

If true, I guess that saves us the possibility of him being given the reigns at 10 for the Lions series!

Good luck to him, all the best with the head!

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Whoever confirmed to Fairfax that Barnes is going to Japan did not mention for how long his contract would be for. Hell, it could be just a one year stint and we could see him return to the Waratahs late into the Super rugby season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK his contract, like everyone's, doesn't finish till November.

So if this is accurate you would assume he has gained an early release

T

TOCC

I'd hope the ARU doesn't give him an early release, might need the depth on the EOYT...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
OK his contract, like everyone's, doesn't finish till November.

So if this is accurate you would assume he has gained an early release

Anything's possible but given last season's injury toll why would they release anyone early: a few weeks (ok - months) ago we were talking about calling Burgess up.
The article was unusually vague for Guinness - perhaps it was ghosted by grumbles.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My Dad cycles with Rupert Guinness. I'll try and find out the lowdown!

It does seem strange that the ARU would be willing to release Barnes before the end of the year.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who will take on the role of kicking the ball away.

I won't miss the bloke AT ALL. I was over the moon when he left the reds and continued his form at the tah's

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Think its a big blow for the Tahs and the Wallabies although a short term break could see he back for the World Cup which wouldnt be the end of the world I suppose

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
With his head injuries, Barnes may not have a long career. Earning a few bucks in Japan is probably a smart move.

Could be on the money Richo. One more knock and it's probably all over. He could probably go around for another 5 years but he will make as much in money in 2 in Japan. Especially if he is given a lower ARU offer.

He seems like a good guy and despite the few folks kidding themselves he will be missed in Aus rugby. He definitely offers something at SXV level and we need all the players we can keep.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He seems like a good guy and despite the few folks kidding themselves he will be missed in Aus rugby. He definitely offers something at SXV level and we need all the players we can keep.

Absolutely. The Wallabies have invariably looked better when he's been involved in the matchday 22.

You don't play 50 tests without being a pretty good rugby player.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
There are a lot of good players coming off injury, and he hardly nailed down the position. I remember idly speculating during the EOYT that, suspecting his time might be coming to a close with the wallabies, he was kicking the ball every which way to showcase his potential as a NH style 10 to the clubs up there. JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, McCabe, Mitchell, Ioane, Taps, Lealifano, QC (Quade Cooper) (?), that's a lot of competition for 5 spots. Might explain why, according to Deans, he was ignoring the game-plan with his tactical kicking.

Not that NH forwards would appreciate his 'speculative' grubbers any more than ours did.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There are a lot of good players coming off injury, and he hardly nailed down the position. I remember idly speculating during the EOYT that, suspecting his time might be coming to a close with the wallabies, he was kicking the ball every which way to showcase his potential as a NH style 10 to the clubs up there. JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, McCabe, Mitchell, Ioane, Taps, Lealifano, QC (Quade Cooper) (?), that's a lot of competition for 5 spots. Might explain why, according to Deans, he was ignoring the game-plan with his tactical kicking.

Not that NH forwards would appreciate his 'speculative' grubbers any more than ours did.

Man that's a long bow.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Particularly after he played 13 of the 15 tests in 2012.

Sure he may be struggling to get a spot in the 23 when every single one of our best players are fit but the reality is that is never the case.

Every player listed would be struggling for a backline position come the first British Lions Test if everyone was fit. It's hard to say that anyone is a walk up starter anymore if everyone is fit.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Haven't seen much of the tahs the last few years then?

T

TOCC

He will be a big loss for the Wallabies, he is experienced and can cover a number of positions... I thought he lifted his game when he started playing fullback..

I don't see why the ARU would give him an early release, even if he promises to return early.

Status
Not open for further replies.