• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Best pre-season 7s and 10s tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We (Kings Old Boys, 3rd div subbies) are looking at our 2014 pre-season, and wondering what events are on offer in February and March.

We currently go to Orange for a 10s tournament, but are looking at branching out to other events. What tournaments are the best?

Obviously the quality of competition is important, but being pre-season the off-field bonding opportunities are also crucial.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Barbs,

Epping have played in the Hawkesbury Valley 10's for the last couple of years and it is a good fun tournament with good competition.
Next year, we head up to the Lake Macquarie 7's.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Leeton 10's are an enjoyable day, long way from Sydney though Baa Baa.

Cowra Twilight Ten's are another good day out, although they've been unlucky in recent years with floods etc.

Queanbeyan 7's are pretty good too and the Kiama 7's are also a great day.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Barbs,

Epping have played in the Hawkesbury Valley 10's for the last couple of years and it is a good fun tournament with good competition.
Next year, we head up to the Lake Macquarie 7's.

Yeah we will probably head to Hawkesbury next year. We are also looking for one outside Sydney so we can do a road trip.

That Lake Mac one looks good- would you know what the standard is? Grade or subbies, or both?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Cowra Twilight Ten's are another good day out, although they've been unlucky in recent years with floods etc.

We are looking at Cowra, it sounds pretty good.

Kiama may be a bit above our skill level......

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
We are looking at Cowra, it sounds pretty good.

Kiama may be a bit above our skill level..

Teams from the local comp play and they get teams from places like Norfolk Is and such. So you won't be completely alone if you're worried about class.

It's a good event in a great location.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah we will probably head to Hawkesbury next year. We are also looking for one outside Sydney so we can do a road trip.

That Lake Mac one looks good- would you know what the standard is? Grade or subbies, or both?

Hey Barbs, I'll be playing at the Lake Mac 7's myself. Have you seen the attachments on their 7's page? Here is the page...

http://www.lakemacquarierugby.com/sevens

In the attachments it says they'll have "Premier Mens", "Fatboys" (over 100kg), & women's. Gotta say I love the fatboys concept.

We have two major comps for the men, premier & grade. Premier is rated higher than grade in Newcastle so you'd be getting the best. Obviously it depends on who the clubs decide to field but it should be good. We have some flyers in the Newcastle comp that would go well in sevens.

I've also gone to the Crescent Head 7's (8th/Feb) over the last 3-4 years & I can say they put on a good show which gets better every year. Last year we had a visit by Nathan Sharpe. Not just a visit to the ground either he turned up to the front door of the house we were staying in to ask us to quieten down a bit!!!

http://www.teamspiritsports.com.au/rugby/crescent-head-sevens-2014/

I havent been to Tamworth from 7's/10's but I think they had a comp too just after Feb.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Unfortunately I did not get around to playing at Lake Mac 7's (re-injured myself in the pre-season) but I was told it was a very good event this year.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)

Agree Kiama sevens is a great day of rugby.

Not too may sevens tournaments where players can go for a beach swim as part of their warm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.