• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Black Ferns v Wallaroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
O’Reilly Cup series: Black Ferns vs Australia. Where: Orangetheory Stadium, Christchurch. When: Saturday, August 20, 7.05pm.NZT, 5.05pm AEST

Black Ferns: Renee Holmes, Ruby Tui, Amy du Plessis, Theresa Fitzpatrick, Ayesha Leti-I’iga, Ruahei Demant (co-c), Kendra Cocksedge; Charmaine McMenamin, Kennedy Simon (co-c), Alana Bremner, Chelsea Bremner, Joanah Ngan-Woo, Tanya Kalounivale, Georgia Ponsonby, Pip Love. Reserves: Luka Connor, Awhina Tangen-Wainohu, Amy Rule, Tafito Lafaele, Kendra Reynolds, Tyla Nathan-Wong, Sylvia Brunt, Hazel Tubic

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As someone who has been a bit disparaging of Women's rugby, I am actually slowly starting to come round. I admit to thinking Women's WC should of been for who made best aftermatch feed etc ;):D, (ok not really but you know what I mean), but after seeing a little bit of Farah Palmer Cup on tv, I actually think it getting better, and genuinely think in 3-5 years will be a very good product, we will have a lot more that will have been playing for a few years etc, and so will see the benefits of experience.
Also was interested to hear both Wayne Smith and Mike Cron being absolutely stoked with how much the giels are tring to soak up every little piece of info they give them, decribed them as being like sponges absorbing every detail etc.
So I will watch game on Saturday night, and pleased NZR haven't scheduled any NPC at same time.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
NRLW scouts will be sitting there ready to sign anyone.

Do the NZ Women get paid (enough)? That comes across extremely naïve but I am curious because of how the NRLW has made it clear they intend to go full processional at some point in the near future. State of Origin payments being equal are the first step.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ men's & women's 7's are paid the same but there's still a big gap between AB & BF e.g. "in-camp" payment is ~$7500 for AB vs $2000 for BF. Plus few BF would be on the retainer of even a fringe AB. Still an improvement from BF being fully amateur not so long ago.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NRLW scouts will be sitting there ready to sign anyone.

Do the NZ Women get paid (enough)? That comes across extremely naïve but I am curious because of how the NRLW has made it clear they intend to go full processional at some point in the near future. State of Origin payments being equal are the first step.
I think Gayle Broughton from NZ 7s went to NRLW, so not sure what payments are as I think she was feeling it was time to pack in 7s after Olympics.
But on NRLW signing up many, I assume they already watching NPC and trying for players anyway. I know NRL had been at 1st XV rugby for years hear, so would guess they would have scouts at Farah Palmer Cup etc and girls school rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
1660790536122.png

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Watching it and it's a bit like watching the Wallabies v All Blacks.

Just a class above at the moment

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well watched game, thought it was ok, a little disappointed in skill levels etc again. But it was what it was, not sure if I will bother with game next week (there will be NPC to watch anyway at same time). Happy I watched it etc, but will decide I did my bit for women's rugby, (watching a test AND starting a thread in here) and maybe just have a peek during WC to see if teams from up north bring a bit more.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I attempted to watch it but I didn’t enjoy it TBH. And that’s not because our side was getting pumped, as Dan alludes to above the skills just weren’t there. My interpretation was that the NZ side was selected on their ability to be physically dominant in all positions over the usual respective skill sets, speed of the outside backs probably the exception. The Aussies were probably selected more appropriately, however they aren’t going to win a World Cup with this rationale. It’s a big problem which I don’t think there is an immediate solution to. To be clear, I enjoy the women’s version at club level, and sevens.

Status
Not open for further replies.