• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brazil to play in the Currie Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Apparently the Brazil Union is in talks with sponsors etc. in order to enter a franchise in the Currie cup as early as next year. While I suspect they will actually compete in the tier below the CC which is now known as the SuperSports Challenge I think this is a huge step for the Union. Would be amazing if others like Uruguay could do similar.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting development. Would they base themselves in SA for the season, or would the Jaapies be expected to travel to Brazil for games?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting development. Would they base themselves in SA for the season, or would the Jaapies be expected to travel to Brazil for games?

Nothing concrete yet. But I suspect it will be similar to when Argentina ran the same set up. In which they were based in SA for the entire competition.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nothing concrete yet. But I suspect it will be similar to when Argentina ran the same set up. In which they were based in SA for the entire competition.

It would be odd for CC lower division to commit to international travel. Few RUs could afford it.

So they'll feature the Welwitchias and Brazil. Interesting.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good news. Brazil have certainly progressed a lot in the last 5 years or so. Verging on being genuine tier 2 now and look on track to threaten Uruguay as the 2nd best South American team pretty soon.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I had a quick look at flights. More or less like flying from Oz to Europe. Time zones are pretty awful, too.

I wonder why they would not stick to playing in the Americas?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Let me guess, they'll let them into the CC. The competition will become unweildly and 2 years later they'll decide to cut a team. The Blue Bulls will then leave the CC and play in the 2nd division in France.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Just for the record. WP won the 2017 senior and u21 CC. Lions the u19 CC.

Oom PB observations:

1. John Mitchell revolustion with the Bulls. He made an immediate impact with them.
2. the du Preez boeties. Robert played a massive role for WP and will join his twin broers at the Sharks. Pa will coach and the Sharks look totally different.
3. WP is the new lock factory in SA. Next year the Stormers will have 5 quality locks after they already provide the Sharks with their captain. We also will probably have the best pack in S15 rugby next year.
Wilco Louw has been impressive.
4. the Blits Bokke played a massive role in adding much needed flair in our 15 man game.
5. We have a lot of quality 10s coming through. Pollard & Bosch is still young but look out for Damian Willemse. He is still 19, but as expected he possess a step , cool head and is something different from your usual SA flyhalf. Robert du Preez is high quality and ready for the next stepup.
6. The Cape is Dutch again. (Die Kaap is weer Hollands), our old school WP types feeling after winning the CC.

Sadly the Cheetahs wont play S15 after really adding depth with teams playing CC and PRO14.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thanks Oom. Interesting to see if Mitchell can keep it going through the off season and for the Bulls to start big. It would sure make a difference.

How did the Griquas end up? They started playing well but only earning respectful losses. I lost track after a few rounds.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thanks Oom. Interesting to see if Mitchell can keep it going through the off season and for the Bulls to start big. It would sure make a difference.

How did the Griquas end up? They started playing well but only earning respectful losses. I lost track after a few rounds.

The CC was very exciting this year. All the teams were in the race untill the last week round robin matches. Unfortunately Griquas end up last on the log but won their promotion / regulation match vs Griffons who won the 1st Division. The Pumas had a very good CC and nearly got into the semis. The beat the Bulls twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.