• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Wallaby player ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Preamble not required. Rating scale at bottom.

15 Adam Ashley-Cooper Good under the high ball, solid on his feet (see try) and good last line of defence, but still not playing as a fullback 6

14 Peter Hynes - Showed some bright individual touches 6

13 Ryan Cross, Simply awesome in attack running strong, fast and straight - the highlight of the Australian backline and deserved his try. Such a pity about the two defensive misses, although Carter was more Mortlock's fault 7

12 Stirling Mortlock (C), while being out of position needs to be taken into account, impact was low and his one kick and miss on Carter were embarrassing. More importantly, where was the leadership when needed? 3

11 Lote Tuqiri, We desperately needed more of LTs class. He usually rises for the big games, but not this one. 4

10 Matt Giteau, Difficult to rate as his first 39 minutes were shocking, the following 41 often inspiring. However, Giteau's modus operandi when the chips are down is to start playing as a one man back-line, rather than marshalling the others. Place kicking kept us in the game. In balance overall, 6

9 Sam Cordingly
, I've calmed a little and no, he probably wasn't single-handedly responsible for the loss, but his glacial pace around the ruck and idiotic decision making came f?cking close. Thank christ he can no longer be selected 1

8 Wycliff Palu, was trying to do the right think when bungled a certain try, and then threw the ball to no-one from a tight head scrum immediately afterwards. 3

7 George Smith
, battled heroically at the breakdown considering Kaplan had a blind spot for black jerseys on the rong side. That final turnover was magic. However, his stab kicks just gave away possession 7

6 Rocky Elsom, Was it the virus? Where was he? 4

5 Nathan Sharpe
, was having a the usual sub-par game before waving Conrad Smith through for Woodcock's crucial try 3

4 James Horwill
, yet another immense game from the 23 year old. Within 2 minutes around the 55 minute mark he'd stolen a turn-over and then smashed Thorn back onto his mungo arse. Oh yeah, he also scored another try. A star has been born this tri-nations. 8 and G&GRs Wallaby man of the match

3 Al Baxter, Another impressive performance from Baxter (it's getting easier to say) both in the scrum and making hard yards around the park 7

2 Stephen Moore, a big sigh of relief at how well the line-out went, even under pressure. A few too many ill-disciplined brainfarts though. 5

1 Benn Robinson,
scrum held steady and he did his share of work along with Baxter 7.

Bench:
Richard Brown - put his best foot forward in this game. Fast, with a great work rate, also made yards off the base and was an option in the line-out 7
McMenimen -still hasn't made any impact on the international scene. How many chances do you get? 4
Robbie Deans' use of bench - I don't agree of changing for changes sake, but fresh legs were definitely needed along with a bullet for Cordingly 3

Rating system:
10 - A legendary performance to go down in the history books
9 - Man of the match worthy performance
8 - Outstanding
7 - Good game, great in parts
6 - Solid performance
5 - Average - ho hum
4 - Below par
3 - Had a bad game
2 - Tell your story walking pal
1 - A complete joke.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wow those are some low scores. Surprising really considering you guys had nearly 70% of the possession.
Lead by 10 points just after halftime. And with a bit of luck might have won.

Harsh.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I would have given Sharpe a 6. He worked hard in tight for most of the game. Missed tackle wasnt great. Elsom lucky to get a 3.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Good stuff as usual, G. Some comments:

Hynes is everything Tuqiri isn't (and vice versa). We're certainly getting more value out of PH.

Mortlock: it might just be time for the shoulder tap. A warrior of Aussie rugby, but, I'm more than ready for 12. Giteau 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Cordingly: was partly responsible for Giteau's 20 minutes of brilliance. Give the guy a break.

Rocky Elsom: impossible to get an unbiased opinion of him. I'm going to run Rocky through the spectro-analyzer before Hong Kong, so I'll suspend judgement.

Nathan Sharpe: our scrum and lineout improved massively. I think he has delivered a solid upercut to most of us who want him culled.

James Horwill: obviously future Wallaby captain. Why don't we start next game?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lote is quiet because the ABs kicked away from him most of the night.

I thought the forwards put in a great effort, very solid. They were being bashed at the advantage line and kept coming back hard. They all had their noses down and bums up doing forward stuff.

Elsom was our top tackler in the forwards

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scarfman said:
Mortlock: it might just be time for the shoulder tap. A warrior of Aussie rugby, but, I'm more than ready for 12. Giteau 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Not sure what mortal sin Mortlock has committed to have people calling for him to be culled. He's the only back we have who'd make a world XV. He's a big match performer and proven winner (unlike Giteau). What is it about Wallaby fans that they get off on calling for someone to be sacked just cause they're getting on in years ?

P

PhucNgo

fatprop said:

Beg to differ FP.

LT was quiet because he bludged all game. He was directly responsible for at least two tries being scored. The first because he couldn't even manage to fall on a loose ball and the second when he waved S'oialo through on the right hand side. This guy must go. He offers nothing. He's only one rung up on the unco ladder from Wendy Sailor. Can't kick, can't sidestep, no speed, poor body position in attack, can't/won't tackle, can't catch, runs sideways, can't/won't pass. Did I miss anything?

By definition Elsom can't be our top tackler, because he can't tackle. Unless of course you count what he does do as tackling. And what he does do is just grab guys around the middle and drop to the ground. Like Palu, he's got dodgey shoulders and doesn't use them. His ineffective "technique" makes it just all too easy for guys to offload in the tackle.

Richard Brown. Well, what a revelation. Ligament damage or not, Palu will find it tough getting back into the run on team for a while. Brown is everything that Palu should be and could be if he put his mind to it. And he'll need to.

Matt Giteau. A classy individual player but just doesn't have the capacity for decision making of Larkham. At 17-7 all he had to do was keep the piggies moving forward and the ball in the AB's 22. Even if it was the game plan not to kick the ball into touch, he should have realised that the Walla's lineout was up to it and gone for the corners.

Johnathon Kaplan. Well, he probably deserves his own thread. Like Stirlo, its time to move on. He's just not up to the pace of the game. Some of the things that went on right in front of him at the breakdown were just incredible. I'm sure the AB fans could site some equally dodgey calls against them, but the number of times Aus players were on their feet (and quite often the only ones on their feet) and pinged for.. well who knows what was just incredible. A case in point was Weepu's try. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) stopped S'olialo (?) short of the line and was the only one standing at the breakdown. A couple of AB's came in to knock him down and they fell on the deck. Mealamu then came in and with Kaplan looking straight at him put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in a front-on grapple tackle around the head/neck and fell sideways to clean him out. Does someone have to be permanently disabled before somehting is done about it. Also, just prior to this you might recall that Horwill was injured and needed treatment. The reason for this was that McCaw launched himself, off his feet, like a missile (in the manner of a certain SA prop) into the ruck. Again, Horwill was the only person on his feet at the breakdown.

Rant over. An incredibly intense game that the AB's wanted more.

R

Rugby Rat

Scarfman said:
Good stuff as usual, G. Some comments:

Hynes is everything Tuqiri isn't (and vice versa). We're certainly getting more value out of PH.

Cordingly: was partly responsible for Giteau's 20 minutes of brilliance. Give the guy a break.

Rocky Elsom: impossible to get an unbiased opinion of him. I'm going to run Rocky through the spectro-analyzer before Hong Kong, so I'll suspend judgement.

Nathan Sharpe: our scrum and lineout improved massively. I think he has delivered a solid upercut to most of us who want him culled.

James Horwill: obviously future Wallaby captain. Why don't we start next game?
Agree 100% and Sharpe should have been captain. Maybe Mortlock needs to run around without the "C" beside his name. It gave the others and excuse to just throw it wide to a 1 on 3.
Hard to go back now.

Happy for Gitts to be given a break for Beale. Gitts as I have always said is not even close to a Bernie, however still very good.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sharpe as captain? Yer 'avin a larf.

naza - I'm getting a little tired of Mortlock's defensive failings. He's a big lad and can tackle, but since he first came onto the scene he's been caught out of position more times than I can count (and I've got my shoes off too). Need AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in there and a captain in the forwards where the important stuff happens. We saw from the try he scored how agile and robust AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is and this needs use more often.

R

Rugby Rat

What part of we need a forward as captain do you not understand NTA. Fair enuff a halfback but not a 13.

Gitts is not a ten. He is not a 12. I might buy into 9, 13 or wing.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
fatprop said:
Gits needs more time at 10, not less.

Matt Giteau, starring soon in the Al Baxter story. He's got 50 caps already. When's he going to step up ?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rugby Rat said:
What part of we need a forward as captain do you not understand NTA.

:nta: I said we need a forward as captain. I can see that you might have confused my statement as endorsing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as captain, but I didn't:

NTA said:
Need AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in there and a captain in the forwards where the important stuff happens. We saw from the try he scored how agile and robust AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is and this needs use more often.

R

Rugby Rat

NTA said:
Rugby Rat said:
What part of we need a forward as captain do you not understand NTA.

:nta: I said we need a forward as captain. I can see that you might have confused my statement as endorsing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as captain, but I didn't:

NTA said:
Need AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in there and a captain in the forwards where the important stuff happens. We saw from the try he scored how agile and robust AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is and this needs use more often.
No offence NTA. I could only consider Sharpe or Smith as options.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
fatprop said:
naza said:
fatprop said:

Matt Giteau, starring soon in the Al Baxter story. He's got 50 caps already. When's he going to step up ?

And how many at 10?

2 years there for the Force, maybe 7-8 starts for the Wallabies, under Larkham's wing since EOYT 2002. How much more time does he need ?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agree fp, Giteau needs more time there. There isn't many 10s that have to play 12 and 9 as well, and are immediately successful at 10. In fact, I would suggest there isn't any at all.

I expect he will continue to improve and if he does get comfortable there, we will all be happy with the results. I doubt Deans will change his way of thinking for the EOYT, but I do think that Barnes will sometimes be moved there during a game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PhucNgo said:
fatprop said:

Beg to differ FP.

LT was quiet because he bludged all game. He was directly responsible for at least two tries being scored. The first because he couldn't even manage to fall on a loose ball and the second when he waved S'oialo through on the right hand side. This guy must go. He offers nothing. He's only one rung up on the unco ladder from Wendy Sailor. Can't kick, can't sidestep, no speed, poor body position in attack, can't/won't tackle, can't catch, runs sideways, can't/won't pass. Did I miss anything?
Yeah, this year's rugby I think. In the past all those applied, and I would have agreed wholeheartedly. This year he has been more committed, he HAS been running straight and making breaks / metres and scoring tries too. He can tackle, and is usually quite effective 1 on 1 in this department. Defending on the wing when the numbers inside are not being covered off is no picnic. Passing - gee, you see plenty of international wingers excelling in this department - NOT! I don't think he's perfect by any means, but I really think he deserves his position on form. I see plenty of knee-jerk bagging of him, but little offering a rational alternative.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
naza said:
fatprop said:
naza said:
fatprop said:

And how many at 10?

2 years there for the Force, maybe 7-8 starts for the Wallabies, under Larkham's wing since EOYT 2002. How much more time does he need ?

So maybe 20 first class games.

As I said, he needs more game time making the decisions himself.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Gagger said:
5 Nathan Sharpe[/B], was having a the usual sub-par game before waving Conrad Smith through for Woodcock's crucial try 3

Think you are a bit harsh their G. The thought occured to me today- how many times did Sharpe stand in the backs on Saturday? How many times did he handle the ball in space? None that I can remember. I can recall one time he got the ball at five-eighth, but he PUT HIS HEAD DOWN AND HIT IT UP!

Hallelujah! Someone has finally given him a kick up the arse!

I would give him at least a 5- sure that was a bad defensive blunder but most players made one or two on Saturday. His work around the ruck was quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.