• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That would certainly be worth it. Without question. It’s not a very expensive service at the present time and it’s about to become invaluable as I simply cannot withstand seeing 5000 ads for mafs.

I would say $31 month for the middle of the road product makes it one of the most expensive streaming packages available.

Although that article says Stan and not Stan Sport in which case I would agree it’s good value for ad free coverage.

JRugby2

Peter Burge (5)
That would certainly be worth it. Without question. It’s not a very expensive service at the present time and it’s about to become invaluable as I simply cannot withstand seeing 5000 ads for mafs.
Fortunately for you, MAFS has just wrapped up so you'll be spared the trauma. Not so good if you're not a fan of Home renovation with the Block due to air in the period following the Olympics. Hope you like Scott Cam!

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I would say $31 month for the middle of the road product makes it one of the most expensive streaming packages available.

Although that article says Stan and not Stan Sport in which case I would agree it’s good value for ad free coverage.
It depends if you look at it as $31 or as $15. Given I’d probably have Stan anyway to stream I think $15 is good for rugby and the olympics. Plus tennis which I also watch.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Not really news we don't know but something to keep in mind even with sponsors who also want to know how may eye balls see their brand.

"In 2011, teenagers spent on average 75 minutes every day watching commercial television. Nowadays, broadcasters say, that figure is 13 minutes – an 83 per cent decline. For children between 5 and 12, viewership has fallen to 15 minutes, from 59 minutes."

"Live-streaming is now 20 per cent of all free-to-air viewing, and rising. New homes often don’t have a TV aerial."

"It has been a tough year for broadcasters, and media companies more broadly. New data shows the amount of advertising spent with metropolitan television stations fell 17.1 per cent in March compared to the year before."

"The dramatic decline in TV viewers under 18 does not mean total viewership of free-to-air TV has fallen by a similar amount. Commercial TV networks virtually stopped producing any children’s shows after a government quota was removed in 2021. They have instead been investing in more lucrative reality TV, news and sport." -
Positive at least.

1713742951826.png

Purely a Covid lockdown spike in 2021?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

Not really news we don't know but something to keep in mind even with sponsors who also want to know how may eye balls see their brand.

"In 2011, teenagers spent on average 75 minutes every day watching commercial television. Nowadays, broadcasters say, that figure is 13 minutes – an 83 per cent decline. For children between 5 and 12, viewership has fallen to 15 minutes, from 59 minutes."

"Live-streaming is now 20 per cent of all free-to-air viewing, and rising. New homes often don’t have a TV aerial."

"It has been a tough year for broadcasters, and media companies more broadly. New data shows the amount of advertising spent with metropolitan television stations fell 17.1 per cent in March compared to the year before."

"The dramatic decline in TV viewers under 18 does not mean total viewership of free-to-air TV has fallen by a similar amount. Commercial TV networks virtually stopped producing any children’s shows after a government quota was removed in 2021. They have instead been investing in more lucrative reality TV, news and sport." -
Positive at least.

View attachment 18667
Would be interested to see the stats for slightly older generations too - I don't think I have any mates (late 20s, early 30s) who watch much if any free to air. I could personally count on one hand the number of times I've watched FTA in the last 2yrs.

Would have to think there's going to be some tough decisions to be made over the next couple of decades.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Would be interested to see the stats for slightly older generations too - I don't think I have any mates (late 20s, early 30s) who watch much if any free to air. I could personally count on one hand the number of times I've watched FTA in the last 2yrs.

Would have to think there's going to be some tough decisions to be made over the next couple of decades.
Well, I'm late 30s and I don't watch any FTA outside of maybe the news. My TV is largely decorative outside of watching Rugby and even then I'll do most of that on my laptop or phone.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Would have to think there's going to be some tough decisions to be made over the next couple of decades

I for one am.looking forward to the FTA stations being forced to work for their eyeballs. They serve absolutely garbage to the viewers ie reality TV and do absolutely nothing to make their product better.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I am (by a bees dick) part of that graph back in 2010 & 2011. I'm definitely not the worlds best indicator here, I had both the full Foxtel Package via my folks and a lot of [redacted] figured out.

But 2012 is a super interesting year from a FTA perspective, as

a) Channel 7 no longer had exclusivity over broadcasting 4 AFL Games live: Foxtel acquired rights to broadcast all 9 AFL games live on its services: I'm not sure what affect this may have had on household penetration, but it probably hurt eyeballs from pubs/hotels/RSLs etc who would've already held Foxtel licenses.

b) That was the year season 2 of Game of Thrones, probably the first drama since LOST to really capture a global marketplace aired, and it was locked, permanently, behind the Foxtel Barrier, completely unable to be watched via FTA.

I think a lot of people learned how to [access film and television content through non-conventional means] in response to that lack of service here in Australia and never looked back.

Between that, plus the launch of Netflix in 2015, (plus competitors in the years following), the growth of Twitch and YouTube as alternatives, the numbers aren't surprising whatsoever.

I must say, I'm been pretty back to my [redacted] era and it may become stronger moving forward if the rumoured crackdowns on account sharing occur. I'm not selling anything on: but I ethically see fault in paying for four simultaneous screens and not allowing say, my partner and my parents access to them, regardless of whether I live with them.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I for one am.looking forward to the FTA stations being forced to work for their eyeballs. They serve absolutely garbage to the viewers ie reality TV and do absolutely nothing to make their product better.
Ironically I think reality tv is exactly what FTA producers think the future is. Basically any show these days can be viewed whenever you want but with reality tv if you miss an episode there’s no point going back to watch it because the attraction to viewers is the ‘relevance’ of it happening right then and there. Live sport is another example of this so hopefully the product of Super Rugby on tv continues to improve.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Ironically I think reality tv is exactly what FTA producers think the future is. Basically any show these days can be viewed whenever you want but with reality tv if you miss an episode there’s no point going back to watch it because the attraction to viewers is the ‘relevance’ of it happening right then and there. Live sport is another example of this so hopefully the product of Super Rugby on tv continues to improve.
That's exactly what the article says. I can't believe the amount of shows on channels like 7mate and Bravo. Ever feel bad about yourself just watch an ep of Botched and some dude named Sparkles getting his lips blown up will fix you up.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
FTA absolutely thinks reality TV is the present and future - they can produce several hours of prime-time TV per week for a fraction of the cost of a single hour of high-quality drama. What's not to love? (for a TV network). And the top shows generate a hell of a lot of engagement on social media, etc. Plus big sponsorships, product placements for shows like MasterChef.

JRugby2

Peter Burge (5)

Positive at least.

View attachment 18667
Sport tends to buck this trend with Audiences in the most recent summer stable YoY

NRL and AFL TV audiences grew last year as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sport tends to buck this trend with Audiences in the most recent summer stable YoY

NRL and AFL TV audiences grew last year as well.
Sport is the best reality TV.

My thoughts of the article are more along the lines that we obsess over FTA bringing in new fans and engaging disenchanted ones, and I think that pursuit may be a case of chasing the water down the drain with how FTA viewership is going.

End of the day we require a competitive Wallabies to draw in an audience and move the needle for media executives. Plenty of people out there know the game and do go to games when we see certain School Boy games matching some Super Rugby crowds.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Foxtel has 3.1 million streaming subscribers across Kayo, Binge and Foxtel Now. But those streaming customers each add very little revenue. They make up 66 per cent of Foxtel’s “customer base”, but just 23 per cent of its revenue. Foxtel’s 1.5 million set-top box customers contribute 63 per cent of its revenue.
IMG_7500.jpeg

Some time next year, likely before the end of March, it is expected that Warner Bros Discovery will launch its own streaming platform, Max, in Australia – stripping Foxtel and Binge of immensely valuable HBO content such as Succession, Game of Thrones and Euphoria. Likewise, wrestling entertainment empire WWE, also on Binge, signed a $US5 billion ($7.8 billion) global deal with Netflix that the US streamer says will soon include Australia. Binge’s managing director, Amanda Laing, has resigned.

Macquarie analysts estimate Kayo generated $454 million in revenue for the group last year, compared with $1.7 billion from traditional Foxtel customers. The price of the Kayo Basic product jumped 17 per cent to $35 in February, although those kinds of increases are hard to pull off repeatedly.

If price is one lever Foxtel can pull, cutting costs via a major restructure is another. Since the end of the 2020 financial year, Foxtel has slashed more than 28 per cent of staff, reducing employees from 2177 to 1558, according to its corporate filings. It has cut some engineering staff recently. There is more to come.

Outaide the top streaming players such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+, the second tier players are regularly talking. Sources close to these platforms say News Corp has periodically discussed partnerships between Binge with Stan’s owner, Nine Entertainment (which owns the Financial Review). Nine chief executive Mike Sneesby has met with Paramount+ executives.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Foxtel has 3.1 million streaming subscribers across Kayo, Binge and Foxtel Now. But those streaming customers each add very little revenue. They make up 66 per cent of Foxtel’s “customer base”, but just 23 per cent of its revenue. Foxtel’s 1.5 million set-top box customers contribute 63 per cent of its revenue.
View attachment 18685

Some time next year, likely before the end of March, it is expected that Warner Bros Discovery will launch its own streaming platform, Max, in Australia – stripping Foxtel and Binge of immensely valuable HBO content such as Succession, Game of Thrones and Euphoria. Likewise, wrestling entertainment empire WWE, also on Binge, signed a $US5 billion ($7.8 billion) global deal with Netflix that the US streamer says will soon include Australia. Binge’s managing director, Amanda Laing, has resigned.

Macquarie analysts estimate Kayo generated $454 million in revenue for the group last year, compared with $1.7 billion from traditional Foxtel customers. The price of the Kayo Basic product jumped 17 per cent to $35 in February, although those kinds of increases are hard to pull off repeatedly.

If price is one lever Foxtel can pull, cutting costs via a major restructure is another. Since the end of the 2020 financial year, Foxtel has slashed more than 28 per cent of staff, reducing employees from 2177 to 1558, according to its corporate filings. It has cut some engineering staff recently. There is more to come.

Outaide the top streaming players such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+, the second tier players are regularly talking. Sources close to these platforms say News Corp has periodically discussed partnerships between Binge with Stan’s owner, Nine Entertainment (which owns the Financial Review). Nine chief executive Mike Sneesby has met with Paramount+ executives.

Its astonishing there are still that many set top box customers.