• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2023

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
In all my years in Melbourne I’ve never heard the phrase “Docklands Stadium”…

It’s always been referred to as Etihad or Marvel.

it changes names so much, about half the ppl I know call it docklands & the other half call it by the wrong name

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
In all my years in Melbourne I’ve never heard the phrase “Docklands Stadium”…

It’s always been referred to as Etihad or Marvel.
It was advertised as docklands stadium pretty strongly when it was first proposed and developed

In either case Canberra now sits below Townsville, Gold Coast, Newcastle by stadium standards, let alone competing with one of the capital cities for major sporting events.

GIO Stadium is in the same tier as Central Coast, Wollongong, Redcliffe these days.

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Not a very appropriate discussion to be had on the Brumbies' thread?
Yeah, sorry for the tangent BR. I guess I just didn't realise how indoctrinated people are, but I guess it validates the millions these companies actually spend on naming rights. Just always seemed the most stupid thing to me.
It was advertised as docklands stadium pretty strongly when it was first proposed and developed

In either case Canberra now sits below Townsville, Gold Coast, Newcastle by stadium standards, let alone competing with one of the capital cities for major sporting events.

GIO Stadium is in the same tier as Central Coast, Wollongong, Redcliffe these days.

Agreed. Would love Canberra to get an upgrade with a new indoor stadium to suit the climate. Copy some of the great multi-purpose/functional designs that are being put up around the world so it can be used for a range of things. Hunks of grass surrounded by seating that sit most of the week vacant make little sense these days.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
... to bring the conversation back to the Brumbies, any thoughts on what changes we might see Bernie 2.0 inject into this team? I watched some of the Munsters games, but I'm not convinced he ever truly evolved their attack as significantly as you'd hope. I just not sure what to think of his return.

I found Nick Bishop's article raised a few aspects of the Brumbies current approach to reflect on (https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/11/...and-are-too-many-brumbies-spoiling-the-broth/)

Reactions: mst

Wilson

David Codey (61)
... to bring the conversation back to the Brumbies, any thoughts on what changes we might see Bernie 2.0 inject into this team? I watched some of the Munsters games, but I'm not convinced he ever truly evolved their attack as significantly as you'd hope. I just not sure what to think of his return.

I found Nick Bishop's article raised a few aspects of the Brumbies current approach to reflect on (https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/11/...and-are-too-many-brumbies-spoiling-the-broth/)
I'm probably most interested to see if the play-making balance between White and Lolesio starts to shift more towards Lolesio under Larkham, and how they manage without Simone shouldering some of that burden from 12. At this stage I think White is only signed for 2023, an extension through 2025 is definitely not out of the question, but I don't think he'll be much of an option beyond then (with reduced minutes from now till then), so they are going to need to plan for that future.

It could absolutely be the making of Lolesio, but he probably only has about 2/3rds of the season to show something before they have to consider their options for 2024 and beyond. If it doesn't come together I fully expect the Brumbies to swoop on one of Harrison/Donaldson/Edmed/Bowen as that log jam at the tahs becomes untenable. Isaac Lucas could be the other possibility there. As I understand it Larkham has a very good relationship with the playmakers from that under 20s year, so he should be well placed to lure one in if needed.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I personally I am not sold on the return of Larkham. It certainly will be a defining season for him as at risk is not only his future, but he could drag down a lot of players with him including some current and potential Wallabies. I am yet to see him get a backline firing and be a threat.

Bishops’ points may be worth reflecting on but I think he is missing the key point that if a Wallabies coach is so un-influential that he can't impose his game plan and culture on the squad it’s a signal of a bigger issue than using a known Aussie team strength; something many other national teams exploit.

Reactions: dru

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I personally I am not sold on the return of Larkham. It certainly will be a defining season for him as at risk is not only his future, but he could drag down a lot of players with him including some current and potential Wallabies. I am yet to see him get a backline firing and be a threat.

Bishops’ points may be worth reflecting on but I think he is missing the key point that if a Wallabies coach is so un-influential that he can't impose his game plan and culture on the squad it’s a signal of a bigger issue than using a known Aussie team strength; something many other national teams exploit.
I'm likewise not entirely convinced of Larkham either based on his past tenure at the Brumbies, Wallabies stint and even more recently Munster. It's a reasonably settled squad with Simone probably being the key loss (though Sio is too) so it will be interesting to see how he imposes his vision on the team.

Debreczeni is a step up from Iona and I'm interested to see how Corey Tool goes.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Sio’s time was up as he was great in the scrum but around the park we didn’t get too much. I am concerned with our pack both in scumming and if we can get a better work rate as I believe the Tah’s pack will be better than the Brumbies.

Agree with Debreczeni, but should he be a starter and in what position? Possibly 12, for me, maybe 15 but Wright on the wing won’t suit the “Wallaby agenda” I suspect.

I still would have loved to have either Hamish Stewart or Hodge signed and playing 12. Stewart would have been excellent as aside from what he brings on the field, he would have brought the double bonus of annoying Reds fans and pissing off Reg!

I would love to see one or more those Tahs 10’s at the Brumbies or Red's. I wish we had player loan agreements in place to help provided development opportunities.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Some circumspection with a new revived HC is understandable, after all he will need to prove himself.

I personally I am not sold on the return of Larkham.

I'm likewise not entirely convinced of Larkham either based on his past tenure at the Brumbies, Wallabies stint and even more recently Munster.

At the same time, with 5 squads opportunities to develop coaching ability is limited and I would have thought that Larkham's next step in Australia was the Brumbies or not very likely. IMO we should be encouraging the development of our own and Larkham completely fits that mould. Give the bloke a go is my suggestion, and maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised on the upside.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There is little opportunity for Larkham, or anybody else, to do much to change the side the Brumbies will put out in 2023.

The forwards pack is just about set in concrete, with three Wallabies in the front row, three Wallaby locks competing for two starting spots, and two Wallaby back rowers. He could fiddle with the positions that Valetini and Samu play, but imo that would be a mistake. Rob is world class at 8 and should be there come hell and high water. That leaves Pete at 6 where he is best suited imo again. No 7 is a bit unknown. Does he stick with Jahrome Brown who plays more of a 6/7 hybrid in line with what a lot of international teams are doing these days, or switch to a more traditional pilfering No 7 in Luke Reimer? Much of a muchness as between them, Pete and Jahrome do effect a few turnovers per game.

The other option would be to play Pete at 7 and Tom Hooper at 6. Longer term, Hooper probably is the best way forward at 6.

Nic and Ryan have the No 9 spot tied up between them. No change needed there.

Len Ikitau is locked into No 13.

Similar to Rob Valetini, Tom Wright is our best winger and one of the top wingers in the country. I say leave him there despite what the Wallabies might want. Andrew Muirhead has been a steady and reliable winger for quite a few seasons now and any other contenders like Toole, O'Donnell etc will have to take the spot away from him through better performances.

So, it looks to me that the 10, 12 and 15 spots are where it is likely Larkham will want to make changes. I hope he persists with Noah at 10 but changes the way he is used to allow him to express himself more than he does at the Wallabies. I would like to see a direct runner at 12 in the Kerevi mold with a second play maker at 15 to add variety to our attack. Ollie Sapsford or CFS can fill that role. Noah to play closer to the ad line to get the ball quickly to the 12 or Rob Valetini in the mid field, and Jack Debreczini at 15 to direct the wider backline attack.

As far as the future is concerned, I think the Brumbies have a lot of areas well and truly under control. Lonergan and Pollard at N0 2, Kaihua and Kautai I expect will show more this year and Allan Ala'alatoa has already signed to post Lions tour. Swain, Frost and Hooper have the second row well covered, and Tom Hooper's younger brother joins the squad this year. Negotiations are underway to retain Valetini and Samu, and beyond those there is Brown, Reimer, Scott and Kennedy who all have Super experience and the exciting Charlie Cale coming in this year.

Ryan Lonergan looks like a Wallaby in waiting at No 9. The club is hoping to re-sign Noah and Len Ikitau while wing is covered with Wright, Muirhead, Toole, O'Donnell and CFS. I also liked the look of Declan Meredith in the fullback position in a trial match against the Tahs last year, but in the meantime I think Debreczini can make that spot his own for a another year or two.

Probably, not all the unsigned players will be retained but I have confidence the club will be more than capable of identifying and developing players to take the pace of any they lose between now and the end of the Lions visit in 2025.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
At the same time, with 5 squads opportunities to develop coaching ability is limited and I would have thought that Larkham's next step in Australia was the Brumbies or not very likely. IMO we should be encouraging the development of our own and Larkham completely fits that mould. Give the bloke a go is my suggestion, and maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised on the upside.
I can't disagree with you and in reality we don’t have any other options and again exposes the sad reality of the game here in Australia.

We [the game in Australia] choose to limit our opportunities to the continuing detriment of the game and we are now starting to have to do everything cut price as a result. Not many sports will give up a potential 20% increase in ratings that’s on offer either. There are certainly enough recent media stories and even players voicing the disappointment about the low standards etc and generally about the game here in Australia.

And we best end the conversation here as it for other forums.

Reactions: dru

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm probably most interested to see if the play-making balance between White and Lolesio starts to shift more towards Lolesio under Larkham, and how they manage without Simone shouldering some of that burden from 12. At this stage I think White is only signed for 2023, an extension through 2025 is definitely not out of the question, but I don't think he'll be much of an option beyond then (with reduced minutes from now till then), so they are going to need to plan for that future.

It could absolutely be the making of Lolesio, but he probably only has about 2/3rds of the season to show something before they have to consider their options for 2024 and beyond. If it doesn't come together I fully expect the Brumbies to swoop on one of Harrison/Donaldson/Edmed/Bowen as that log jam at the tahs becomes untenable. Isaac Lucas could be the other possibility there. As I understand it Larkham has a very good relationship with the playmakers from that under 20s year, so he should be well placed to lure one in if needed.
I would guess that Lolesio will go to Japan next year- it is less about Larkham and more about his Wallabies oppertunities [or lack thereof].