• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To'omua has been fullback, by the way.

To'omua puts down an average pass from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

2 minutes to go. That will be the game.

Stanford and O'Young on for the Force. Hockings off too apparently, so guess O'Connor is on.

Brumbies wheel the Force scrum, Gits kick high Force get it back.

Error ridden game, Brumbies woeful on attack. They had absolutely nothing and never looked dangerous.

Both teams very messy at ruck time. Plenty of turn overs, not enough respect for the ball.

Pocock v G. Smith was a nonevent really. Don't think either really beat the other.

25 - 16 to the Force, game over.

Force set peice very very bad. Scrum hammered, and they gave away a lot of ball at lineout time.

But the Force backs penetrated, unlike the Brumbies. Gits, Pelesasa, Cross, Shepherd, Mitchell, Cummins all looking much more dangerous.

Sharpie talks a load of shit in the post match interview. But he deserves to be happy with that win.

And that's it from me.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Thanks for the commentary Ash. :thumb

Good to see the Force get a win from an Oz rugby fan perspective, despite me tipping the Brumbies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Nice commentary Ash.

I've had about 100 beers and I though the Force deserved the win. Brumbies didn't turn up (at home!). I blame HOIsoftcockLES.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lealifano is struggling at the moment isn't he. If there are concerns about To'omua being too inexperienced what about Gerard to 10 as a stopgap? Hate to criticise a young bloke but Lealifano is letting that backline down.

Giteau was quite masterful and will be missed at the Force next year. The Force forwards seemed to go okay in open play but were owned at scrumtime. Thier backrowers (including reserves) give them great value though.

Nice hattrick from Sheperd and what a doozy of a run from Pelesasa. Apart from that run he actually looked quite good.

I think Tyrone Smith needs to be on the field from the start for the Brumbies. He was the one back who made yards.

P

PhucNgo

Thanks too for the commentary Ash. I'm up North in Mungo territory and haven't seen the game yet, so much appreciated. I'll catch it tomorrow night when I get home. Strikes me as funny tho that the Force, with a former forward as coach, can have such a p/weak set piece. Maybe its just player power in action, but does seem strange all the same.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well done the Force, great performance considering they were inflicted with Cowan at LHP. They were fine last week with Hardy & Castle but the rest are just crap

They should spend Git's money on props. Dunning would be a start

The Brumbies need to get back to Brumbies rugby. Get rid of two crash ballers in the centres and get some bloody creativity and guile in the backline.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PhucNgo said:
Thanks too for the commentary Ash. I'm up North in Mungo territory and haven't seen the game yet, so much appreciated. I'll catch it tomorrow night when I get home. Strikes me as funny tho that the Force, with a former forward as coach, can have such a p/weak set piece. Maybe its just player power in action, but does seem strange all the same.
Not sure why it would strike you as funny - their lack of cattle especially up front has been well documented unfortunately. I did not think they'd get mullered quite so badly in the scrums - there was some ugly stuff to be sure.

R

Rugby Rat

Scarfman said:
Nice commentary Ash.

I've had about 100 beers and I though the Force deserved the win. Brumbies didn't turn up (at home!). I blame HOIsoftcockLES.
Hoiles hasn't been doing much at all. Anyways, the Force finally played to potential. No suprises.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I guess that game shows why the Brumbies signed Gits.

Well done to Shep for scoring a hat trick but I thought his top speed was looking decidedly slow. When Gerrard ran around him it was like watching Benn Robinson run past Al Baxter.

While L'fano didnt have a good game are people wondering if the Morty AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) combo is the way to go? As Spectator said T Smith looked dangerous when he came on but was looking for the miracle play to try and get Brumbies back in the game and came up with a few errors as a result. AACs defence looked average at times. His defensive option taking for most of the last 12 months has been pretty poor.

Mitchells up and unders were worse than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s during the spring tour and thats saying something. You would think they would eventually learn.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think both AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Gerrard are found wanting defensively. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) comes up and in a lot, and made some crucial misses. Gerrard just tore out the line last night leading to the Force's last try, plus got run around too easily. I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been buggered up by the failed 15 experiment from Deans. No-one else seemed to think he was a 15, he didn't really play like a good one, now he's back at 13 but not really sure how to play it. And as good as Morty is, the combo of 2 bashers is not going to work well. I agree T Smith looked far more dangerous.
I think both Gerrard and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) have a lot to offer, but Gerrard's lack of speed is becoming more obvious, and it makes their outside defence suspect. Heavy help what might happen with some fast wingers - Pieterson, Habana, Nokwe, Ioane...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
the brumbies were always going be beaten eventually. it is good that its early in the year.
they structured there team like england in the 03 world cup. big forwards and big no-nonsense centers.
sadly they have christian who is out of his depth instead of wilkinson. with no class kicker this structure cannot work. christian needs time in the sydney club system.

i have no idea how the force got beaten at the breakdown... we had a more breakdown friendly back 3.
that needs to big fixed.

i also dont get how we (the force) go ok for the first 20-40 minutes in the scrum every week then turn to shit and never fix it. if castle could scrum in the past... what happened?

brumbies will make the finals if they re structure there 22 better. christan l to 12 To'omua to 10? stuff like this should of already been tried.
force will make the finals if they find a proper 6 and realise three 7s is a dumb idea. they also need auckland to be good so not only they have lost to them.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
en_force_er said:
i have no idea how the force got beaten at the breakdown... we had a more breakdown friendly back 3.
that needs to big fixed.

The loosies aren't solely responsible for the breakdown.

The Force forwards have a tendency to watch the breakdown from the backline. They want to run the ball before doing their "shit work". They had the same problem last year. Unfortunately it isn't being fixed.

i also dont get how we (the force) go ok for the first 20-40 minutes in the scrum every week then turn to shit and never fix it. if castle could scrum in the past... what happened?

Concentration? Fitness? The Force scrum was under pressure from the start and never really stable though. Castle went OK at the Chiefs, but reportedly got his ass handed to him in France when the styles are different and so might have a confidence issue right now. To be honest, unfortunately, I don't think that Pek Cowan is not the right guy to be partnering him right now.

As someone said above, the Force scrum looked much better last week with Hardy at loosehead.

brumbies will make the finals if they re structure there 22 better. christan l to 12 To'omua to 10? stuff like this should of already been tried.
force will make the finals if they find a proper 6 and realise three 7s is a dumb idea. they also need auckland to be good so not only they have lost to them.

I don't think the Brumbies can make the final. It looks like they just don't have the cattle and the style of play. Their forwards and backs really have struggled this year.

But yeah, surely T. Smith to 12, Mortlock to 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to wing and Fanifo to the bench is the right start. Their real problems come from 9 and 10. Phibbs and Holmes have both been poor to average, and Lealiifano is well off the pace right now.

While they are at it, they might start looking into their ruck work.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

Only one team came to score tries the other team have now let there two best ball runners catch a cold out wide.

I don't think the Brumbies can make the final. It looks like they just don't have the cattle and the style of play. Their forwards and backs really have struggled this year.

But yeah, surely T. Smith to 12, Mortlock to 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to wing and Fanifo to the bench is the right start. Their real problems come from 9 and 10. Phibbs and Holmes have both been poor to average, and Lealiifano is well off the pace right now.

9 & 10 are a real big problem for the Brumbies they are gonna struggle to score tries unless they can get the ball in Mortlocks & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hands.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ash said:
But yeah, surely T. Smith to 12, Mortlock to 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to wing and Fanifo to the bench is the right start.

really? i think fanifo is a decent player now and a really great prospect. rathbone sadly just doesnt show signs of his old form.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I donn't think Mortlock at 12 works for Leilafano. So m'ment are going to have to make a decision.

I reckon they go for
10-gerrard
11-fainifo
12-smith
13-mortlock
14-rattles
15-AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

CL to the bench and give young Taumopeau a run. Its a bit hit and miss with the 2 halfbacks at the moment. Holmes steps sideways far too much a la GG putting way too much pressure on. And you never quite sure what Phibbs is going to do, although he is an eager defender

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its embarrassing to watch Sharpe fold under pressure in the scrum - just before the penalty try you can see his useless carcass snapping rightwards out of the tighthead position. Shocking scrums by the Force

F

formeropenside

NTA said:
Its embarrassing to watch Sharpe folder under pressure in the scrum - just before the penalty try you can see his useless carcass snapping rightwards out of the tighthead position. Shocking scrums by the Force

I am horrified that the Force won with a scrum that poor. It's like the fat kid from Hey Dad winning Mr Universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.