• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Highlanders Friday 24 April GIO Stadium Canberra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Highlanders have announced their side for this match. No Smith and Smith and no Fekitoa. Will significantly deplete their backline, but probably only by the amount the Brumbies are depleted also.

Will be waiting in anticipation for the front row when the Brumbies team is announced. Won't be at all surprised if Ben Alexander reverts to LH prop until Scott Sio returns from injury. A front row of Alexander, Moore, Ruan Smith looks stronger than JP Smith, Moore, Alexander.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Fuck that.

Alalalaaaalalaltoa, Moore and Ruan Smith.

Ruan is the good one, I don't see anything at all in JP.

Vaea has to start too, he's hands down the most devastating ball runner in Aussie rugby, let alone the Brumbies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Fuck that.

Alalalaaaalalaltoa, Moore and Ruan Smith.

Ruan is the good one, I don't see anything at all in JP.

Vaea has to start too, he's hands down the most devastating ball runner in Aussie rugby, let alone the Brumbies.

I suspect it will be Alexander, Moore and Ruan Smith with Ala'alatoa on the bench. Alexander will go to THP if Ruan Smith gets into scrum trouble. But the Highlanders are not noted scrummagers, so its a good week to try it out.

I, too, would start Vaea and bring Butler from the bench.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I suspect Joseph has accepted a loss is very likely in this game, but he has to rest the players, and doing it at one time suggests he is picking games he feels he can lose and not hurt table situation too much. Losing to NZ teams for instance is like losing double points, so you probably need to give them best shot.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies

1. JP Smith
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ruan Smith
4. Jordan Smiler
5. Blake Enever
6. Scott Fardy
7. David Pocock
8. Ita Vaea
9. Michael Dowsett
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Joe Tomane
12. Robbie Coleman
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Jesse Mogg

16. Josh Mann-Rea
17. Allan Ala'alatoa
18. Ben Alexander
19. Rory Arnold
20. Jarrad Butler
21. Joe Powell
22. Nigel Ah-Wong
23. Rod Iona

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
And a second row - surely Fardy and Arnold with Butler moving to 6 was a better idea, and then Auela (if ready) and Enever on the bench. Backline looks much more capable than last week...here's hoping they get up.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Highlanders are at longer odds to win this one than the Reds are to upset the Canes.

Go figure.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well there's a front row that no one predicted.

This sounds like a contest between the worst two front rows to see who gets the scrummaging wooden spoon.

Highlanders are at longer odds to win this one than the Reds are to upset the Canes.

Go figure.

I reckon the bookies will take a bath. The Highlanders are not a three player team and I reckon they're favourites to beat a depleted Brumbies team this week. Still, unlike the bookies, I've got no skin in the game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In the case of the Highlanders 3 I completely disagree and say yes they are a 3 man team. Where do any of their tries come from without those 3?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
In the case of the Highlanders 3 I completely disagree and say yes they are a 3 man team. Where do any of their tries come from without those 3?

Sopoaga, Treeby, Buckman, Naiholo, Osbourne is not a bad backline for any team losing its best three players. Buckman was good last year and hasn't had much chance this year to show if he's improved any further.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And Tanaka plays a very aggressive style of game. Expect him to be in Dowsett's face all night long and to charge down at least three or four box kicks for tries if the Brumbies adopt the same game plan as last week.

Only hope the Brumbies have is if they change their game to one of running at all times to challenge the defense. Sadly, can't see that happening.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I think having TK back will make a big difference. As long as he's actually fit it distinctly changes how our back line can operate and gives Speight, Coleman and Mogg more space to wind up their wheels. Mogg if nothing else gives the Brums a territory advantage they lack without white, having a fb with a boot can make a big difference.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies can win this game, but only imo if they :

1. tactically limit the use of their rolling maul to when they are within 10m of the opposition try line;

2. get the ball quickly out of the scrum and use it out wide;

3. ban the box kick;

4. kick long when exiting their red zone and don't go for touch;

5. get their wingers and/or centres back supporting Moggy when the opposition kick and give him the confidence to run the ball back;

6. outside backs backup Christian and Robbie when they break the line as they will do;

7. attack, attack, attack. Both forwards and backs.

The maul, effective as it is, has been overdone lately. The more it is used the more refs seem to let go on the part of the defense, or are more willing to look for off side or obstruction by the mauling team.

Not much good playing for penalties at the scrum when we can't rely on our kickers getting the points. In any case, I don't have the confidence in the scrum with JP at LH prop. Get the ball in and out as quickly as possible.

Brumbies' box kicks are probably the least successful in the comp. They are usually not well weighted, and the chasers rarely contest for the ball, rather they wait to make the tackle on the player receiving the kick. Just turning over possession with little or no gain in ground.

Don't kick for touch from within the 22m, gifting opposition throw and mostly possession still well within their own half. Kick long and organise a good chase to restrict the opposition in their half.

Moggy's long boot should be a weapon but if he's down on confidence he will be liable to make costly mistakes. Ensure he has good support when receiving opposition kicks and has the option to run the ball back.

Do these things good and a win is on the cards. At least it should be attractive rugby. Revert to last week's plan and I see the Landers coming away with a win.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It will be a test of character, we should always win at home, and if we dont then we should go into a circle room full of mirrors and have a good long hard look at our selfs..

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
(In the case of the Highlanders 3 I completely disagree and say yes they are a 3 man team. Where do any of their tries come from without those 3? )

Up to a point I agree Gwerty, I would never say they are a 3 person team, but certainly those 3 are the ones who tend to take advantage of the hard work of the rest of players. Think A Smith is perhaps the biggest factor as so many tries etc are scored off him passing to the correct place quickly.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
(In the case of the Highlanders 3 I completely disagree and say yes they are a 3 man team. Where do any of their tries come from without those 3? )

Up to a point I agree Gwerty, I would never say they are a 3 person team, but certainly those 3 are the ones who tend to take advantage of the hard work of the rest of players. Think A Smith is perhaps the biggest factor as so many tries etc are scored off him passing to the correct place quickly.
Although I really like Tanaka his a little dynamo

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agree wholeheartedly Tomikin, actually plays very similar style to Smith, and is in my opinion one of better 9 in comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.