• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Sharks, round 13 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Any Sydneysiders thinking of making the trip down to Canberra for Saturday night's match?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1st vs 2nd on the ladder. A win for the Sharks and they'll be very hard to beat for the minor premiership with some momentum going into their remaining tour games. A loss here could easily be the first of a few and they could quickly fall from the top of the table.

At any other point in history, this comment would look ridiculous, but Pat McCabe has to start at 12 ahead of Leali'ifano. The Brumbies attack has more guile and penetration with McCabe there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It'll be the battle of Jakeball!

I'm booked for a Michael Buble concert. Would be a good road trip to see 1 & 2 go around, but it'll be frigging cold.

Brumbies weren't sharp enough against the Crusaders who will establish their title aspirations in the next couple of weeks.

The only hope for someone else to finish top 2 is that the Kiwi teams start picking each other off. Apparently Hammett has asked the refs for a "please explain" after Walsh's performance on the weekend so they still fancy themselves.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Massive game for both teams this one, not only because of the Jake factor, but in the context of the season. I fancy the Ponies here, because they appear more capable of generating points when they need them. Their attack has stepped up a gear this season, whilst mostly maintaining the solidity of the set piece and defence.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Sharks should start with Zeilinga if he is fit. Frans Steyn is not a 10. He is a decent stop gap but no more. Let him play at 12 which is his best position. His distribution was diabolical. Zeilinga has a cracking pass and likes to run at the line. Better goal kicker as well.

Coetzee might not be fit which is a plus for the Ponies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Shark-Week.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ponies pick McCabe at 12 they could do some real damage. Lilo to come on later and finish things off.

Brumbies win a goal kicking fest as the spoilingest teams in the comp go head to head. No bonus points please, and if you can manage a draw, if the Brumbies could win 8-0, that'd be grand.

EDIT: I just looked at the table. Brumbies win, no bonus points, then they're second on 34 to the Shorks' 35.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Do the Brums get anyone back for this match? Fotu played club rugby last week.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
No Zeilinga for the Sharks. Going home with a hamstring injury. Frans Steyn to stay at 10 I'd imagine

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies will have to change their tactics, can't be giving away penalties even inside the Sharks half with Steyn now. I suspect with the Sharks attack going as it is they'll look to play how they did against the Tahs. Huge physicality at the breakdown and kick the goals.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
There will be some feeling in this match - mainly to do with White's dummy spit or should I say shit on the Brums and Australian rugby.

IMO the Brums will belt the Sharks bigtime. Brums by 20

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No Zeilinga for the Sharks. Going home with a hamstring injury. Frans Steyn to stay at 10 I'd imagine

That's a big loss for the Sharks. They really don't look very threatening in attack with Steyn at 10. With Zeilinga or Lambie at 10 and Steyn at 12 they're far more threatening.

Brumbies should win this comfortably.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a big loss for the Sharks. They really don't look very threatening in attack with Steyn at 10. With Zeilinga or Lambie at 10 and Steyn at 12 they're far more threatening.

Hope you're right BH, but I expect it to be an arm wrestle. Although they've played mostly at home, the Sharks are not on top by being an easy beat, and they did beat the Rebels away last week (perhaps a little undeservedly) while the Brumbies went down quite badly to the Cru.

Where to play Pat McCabe. What a turn around. Most posters, including me, were calling for him to be dropped when he was playing Deans' hopeless game plan, but this year he has been very, very good for the Brumbies, including last week when he came into No 15 late in the game. Said it before, and again I'll say I think 15 is his best spot, but should he replace Moggy? Moggy's boot will probably be crucial in the early stages of this game. Will be interesting to see how Larkham handles this.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hope you're right BH, but I expect it to be an arm wrestle. Although they've played mostly at home, the Sharks are not on top by being an easy beat, and they did beat the Rebels away last week (perhaps a little undeservedly) while the Brumbies went down quite badly to the Cru.

Where to play Pat McCabe. What a turn around. Most posters, including me, were calling for him to be dropped when he was playing Deans' hopeless game plan, but this year he has been very, very good for the Brumbies, including last week when he came into No 15 late in the game. Said it before, and again I'll say I think 15 is his best spot, but should he replace Moggy? Moggy's boot will probably be crucial in the early stages of this game. Will be interesting to see how Larkham handles this.

I'm certainly not expecting a flogging, but I think the Brumbies will win and be in control of the game for most of it. It could still easily be within 7 points.

I think you've got to bench Leali'ifano and play McCabe at 12. Leali'ifano is struggling to really find strong form after returning and McCabe is probably the Brumbies best attacking threat right now. Leaving McCabe out last weekend created such a turnaround in the Brumbies attack.

Mogg's general play kicking will be particularly important against the Sharks so he has to play.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
This will be a close match, strong defence on display, maybe not too many tries, so the penalty count and kicks may be crucial.
At home, must win game for the Brumbies.
Jake White is the past, put away this Sharks side and look to the future (a.k.a. finals).

Full trust in Bernie coming up with a game plan to skin the fishes.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

I agree.

The Sharks team of the first few rounds with Lambie and Steyn at 10 and 12 was a completely different beast.

They are very one dimensional with Steyn at 10. Lambie mixes things up nicely and people play around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.