• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs Rnd 5 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Massive game, so many questions will be answered

Will the ponies be able to again build pressure over multiple phases
Will the Tahs be able deal with a more polished side
Will the Tahs be able win a line out
Will the Ponies play field position against the Tahs back 3

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Massive game, so many questions will be answered

Will the ponies be able to again build pressure over multiple phases
Will the Tahs be able deal with a more polished side
Will the Tahs be able win a line out
Will the Ponies play field position against the Tahs back 3

Will the ponies be able to again build pressure over multiple phases?Yes. Their recycling and control of the breakdown is as good as ever.

Will the Tahs be able deal with a more polished side? Yes. They are a very good side and are playing with much more intent than previously.

Will the Tahs be able win a line out? Obviously will win most of their own throws, but probably won't worry the Brumbies much on their throws.

Will the Ponies play field position against the Tahs back 3? I sincerely hope not. Surely the most obvious lesson to learn from the Tahs' games is to keep the ball away from Izzy and the wingers at all costs.

Should be an intense contest. Here's hoping it is also a spectacle for us fans.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've got something on Saturday evening and can't head down to Canberra unfortunately. Disappointed to be missing this one.

I expect the Tahs will bring in Dennis and move Hoiles to the bench and McCutcheon out of the 23. Aside from that I don't envisage any changes from the team that played the Reds.

You'd assume that the Tahs have been working hard on their lineout after being dominated by the Reds. Dennis coming back in should improve the calling and I'd guess they'll be looking to speed up the whole process from assembling the lineout to getting the ball thrown in.

I don't have any stats but I'd guess that across Super Rugby there is a pretty strong correlation between slow lineouts and lost throws.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Will the Ponies play field position against the Tahs back 3? I sincerely hope not. Surely the most obvious lesson to learn from the Tahs' games is to keep the ball away from Izzy and the wingers at all costs.

Should be an intense contest. Here's hoping it is also a spectacle for us fans.

If the Tahs can replicate the intensity of the Reds game, the Brumbies will to choose between kicking to the Tahs back 3 or running it in the face of a physical, smothering defence, neither being the easy option. But I'd anticipate the Brumbies will be able to produce a more effective kicking game than the Reds.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Not heading down, Mrs JSRF had made plans for the weekend long in advance.

If the Tahs can fix the lineout I'm fairly confident we can secure enough possession to score tries, however I am worried about McCabe running down KBs channel if he is in the form he was in on Friday.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Is whole Dublin fiasco still a "thing"? If there's any truth to some players still holding a "grudge" it definitely makes me think a lot less of them, especially when they should have known better (we expected the same thing of Beale and JOC (James O'Connor)).

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...acle/story-e6frf4qu-1226850452854#mm-breached

Angry players believe they were punished unfairly because some team members seemed to be aware of a midnight curfew while others didn’t, and there have been private claims of backstabbing.
Reports emerged that Mowen and Brumbies teammate Stephen Moore would be players of focus for the Tahs this Saturday at Canberra Stadium.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Is whole Dublin fiasco still a "thing"? If there's any truth to some players still holding a "grudge" it definitely makes me think a lot less of them, especially when they should have known better (we expected the same thing of Beale and JOC (James O'Connor)).

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
I would be backing the Ungulates over the Angiosperms but for; the Flowers had a rest last week while the Ponies had to travel and had a hard won battle against the Hurricanes.

While the Reds were thoroughly outplayed by the Talopea the battle they'd had the week before against the Equus Ferae Cabballi definitely inflated the winning margin. That is, it should have been a beating, rather than the total spanking we witnessed.

If these two teams met with full strength, fully rested forward packs I'd be backing the Canberrans but the New South Welsh will have the edge in their forwards which means their scary, scary back line will be unleashed

Telopea speciosissima by 7+

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
RE Dublin

Doesn't that just sort of highlight wy the Tahs have been so shit the last 5 years or so and perennial underachievers?

Apparently still having a sook because the Wallaby captain had them disciplined for getting shitfaced 3 days before a HUGE, must win test (remember, we'd lost to England and were in the shit after a poor RC) ???

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Comfortable victory coming up for the rested and confident Tahs.

Backs too fast. Piggies too big. No Bam Bam. Too early for Weather Intervention from a good old fashioned Canberra freeze out. Not early enough in the season for cracks to appear in the wheels on the Tahs Super Rugby Finals Hopes Bandwagon.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
RE Dublin

Doesn't that just sort of highlight wy the Tahs have been so shit the last 5 years or so and perennial underachievers?

Apparently still having a sook because the Wallaby captain had them disciplined for getting shitfaced 3 days before a HUGE, must win test (remember, we'd lost to England and were in the shit after a poor RC) ???
I'd say it highlights that some people will believe anything a journalist writes.
In any event they were disciplined by the coach and team manager and there was little if any evidence that anyone was "shitfaced".
So to answer your first question, no. I'd say that was because they were poorly coached and conditioned for 3-4 years. Some of the players weren't even Waratahs 3-5 years ago. Funnily enough, Mowen was. Did he have some sort of transplant in Canberra?
But I suspect this is not the answer you were after either.

Reactions: BPC

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
If you read the quotes in the Daily Telegraph's piece they all say it happened months ago and we're over it or something to that effect.

Also being angry/spiteful over this would go against Cheika's poker face thing.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
RE Dublin

Calling them 'shitfaced' is exactly why they're so pissed off.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One would hope that our National representatives are a little more mature and professional that some Growdenesque gossip columnist with a scoop complex is trying to fabricate from applying a schoolboy playground payback mentality surrounding the Dublin vendetta.

If true, then the bloody Saffers and Kiwis will make mincemeat of the Wobs (again) come TRC time.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Comfortable victory coming up for the rested and confident Tahs.

Backs too fast. Piggies too big. No Bam Bam. Too early for Weather Intervention from a good old fashioned Canberra freeze out. Not early enough in the season for cracks to appear in the wheels on the Tahs Super Rugby Finals Hopes Bandwagon.

Gee which team have we heard that from before.. Good luck Tah fans you will need it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.