• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Reds, week 3 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Reds fans only have next week to look forward to and I'm sure Brumby Fans are feeling the same way.

Reds.

1/ Greg Holmes
2/ James Hanson (give the bloke his shot)
3/ James Slipper
4/ Rob Simmons
5/ Van Humphries
6/ Scott Higgenbotham
7/ Beau Robinson
8/ Leroy Houston
9/ Will Genia
10/ Quade Cooper
11/ Digby Ionae
12/ Michael Harris
13/ Will Chambers
14/ Rod Davies
15/ Peter Hynes

16/ Saia Fainga'a
17/ Guy Shepherdson
18/ ??????
19/ Liam Gill
20/ Ben Lucas
21/ Anthony Fainga'a
22/ Aidan Toua

Let's manage Horwill responsibly so if his injury is only minor and he is declared fit, put Him on the bench in the vacant 18 spot. Where is Samo regarding injury? He could be the other option.

Gill is tempting but lets test him off the bench before throwing the yong fella in the deep end. Harris to 12 to stiffen up the kicking game and offer another attacking option to free Quade up a bit.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Doubt thats an objective reason.. He seemed to be okay.
I'd look at the back row - very slow around the park and out enthused by the tahs.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ruggo why drop saia?

I would like to see what Hanson brings. He was good off the bench against the Force plus I think the competition between Saia and Hanson will be good. No great reason for this week in particular as it should happen sooner or later so I guess no time like the present.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Holmes needs to start. And the backrow needs a change. I wouldn't mind the backs looking like they could score and also if they could put some pressure on in defence.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Hope it's a nice night - Easts will be running around against Victoria in the curtain raiser. Should be fun.

Reds backrow and locks need checking - it was terrible seeing them walking between rucks!

Brumbies - who knows, by the sound of things the place is about to implode. Hoping for some actual enthusiasm and passion when they next run out...

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Reds by less than 7, this week will have stung both teams into action hopefully, but the reds should be the better team.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Reds have a bad record in canberra. Their slow backrow is big weakness.

If the Brumbies are going to win they need to commit more the break down when keeping hold of the ball. I'd like to see nick white given the chance as valentine and phibbs where terrible. i'd also drop salvi to bench.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the Brumbies lose Chapman to suspension they're in trouble...

Their lineout has been incredible and he's the one running it...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would go all speed changes to the back row. Schatz higgers and Robinson. Quirk and samo on the bench.

Back line issues are only in the centers. Not sure Harris is the answer I would keep him on the bench. The issue is that we aren't getting over the gain line, the role Anthony was doing last year. Either team ioane and chambers or ioane and a finger. Hard to do if Davies is out though.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Toua
12. A.Fainga'a
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. Lucas

That could be a possibly backline but perhaps too many changes?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Colby deserves to start this week, at 6 for Chapman or at 7 I'm not fussed. Nic White should get a shot from the bench too.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Toua
12. A.Fainga'a
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. Lucas

That could be a possibly backline but perhaps too many changes?

Is hynes injured?

I would consider morahan for the 15 jumper, although i do like the look of the having 2 play makers in cooper and lucas.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'd prefer someone with similar height to Chapman - Kimlin or Vanderglas.

That said, I think they will pick either colby, kimlin or hooper as they are all on full contracts, irrespective of the fact that none are really 6's (Kimlin goes close, but I see him as more of a lock).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hynes likely to be out:

Reds Focus on Brumbies

The St.George Reds are back home in Queensland ready for a week of preparations for their Saturday game against the Brumbies in Canberra.

Reds Coach Ewen McKenzie said it’s back to the drawing board for the team after last night’s bruising encounter with the Waratahs in Sydney.

The 30 – 6 loss wasn’t the only disappointment on the night. Captain James Horwill was forced from the field with an ankle injury. It is expected the injury will rule him out for the clash against the Brumbies on Saturday night. Also expected to miss a game is Peter Hynes with a knee injury.

Rod Davies is expected to have a scan on his cheekbone and Ed Quirke may seek treatment after taking a hit to the ribs.

The injuries will force some changes in the side to meet the Brumbies but the squad has the depth to cover.

“We've got the capacity in our squad to make some adjustments for the game as it's played this year, not last year.

"Luckily, we get another crack at NSW this year and 13 games is a lot of time to do things this season."

The Reds ran into massive defence from the Tahs who denied the Reds attacking stars opportunity. McKenzie said their breakdown ball was too slow for Genia and Cooper to have an impact.

There were some positive moments for the Reds with the backs showing their trademark skills when allowed. Beau Robinson also impressed when he came off the bench.

McKenzie said the team is now fully focussed on its next challenge.

''We’ve got a fair bit of damage there and that will present some opportunities for others to step up. We have the depth in the squad to come back on Saturday and we intend to be back in the game.”

Status
Not open for further replies.