• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies Vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Very tough match in Durban coming up which will be hugely physical. My concern is the Sharks will just have too much pace out wide...especially on the turnover.

I reckon the Brumbies might trouble the Sharks scrum. Could be hugely wrong but there you go.

S

Spook

Gagger said:
What's the injury status from last weekend? Is Morty in?
50/50 I'd say. Not too worries about Morty, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will do a good job.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Spook said:
Very tough match in Durban coming up which will be hugely physical. My concern is the Sharks will just have too much pace out wide...especially on the turnover.

I reckon the Brumbies might trouble the Sharks scrum. Could be hugely wrong but there you go.

Depends which scrum they play.

The best scrumming combo is Jannie/Smit/Beast

They might want to keep experimenting with Smit at 3 and Beast doesn't look fit at all. They rushed him back from injury and its showing in his performances.

Smit is also due a rest so we might see them fielding Jannie/Bismarck/Carstens which is an OK front row and good enough for parity with the Brumbies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Jannie/Bismarck/Carstens
should be able to do enough to create a dominant scrum.

The Sharks usually just go for 1/4 turns and pressure to give their backrow a head start rather than spattering scrums

S

Spook

Have they been messing with their scrum in Oz? I thought they would dominate the Force but the Force got parity.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
fatprop said:
Jannie/Bismarck/Carstens
should be able to do enough to create a dominant scrum.

The Sharks usually just go for 1/4 turns and pressure to give their backrow a head start rather than spattering scrums

Yeah things were about evens in the scrums with that front row against the Force until late in the match when the Sharks started to dominate with a Smit/Bismarck/Beast combo but I think the Force pack was finished around the hour mark.

I have never rated Carstens though. Great in the loose and general play but one of SA's weaker LH props in scrums.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Agree about Carstens. Beast a much better option. Bismarck surely is a better scrummer to Smit. Hope he'll enter again in the second half. Not only is the scrums stronger but he is a monster in the rucks and muals.

Surely the Sharks have the best scrum in the competition.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Agree about Carstens. Beast a much better option. Bismarck surely is a better scrummer to Smit. Hope he'll enter again in the second half. Not only is the scrums stronger but he is a monster in the rucks and muals.

Funny, the same Sharks scrum was destroyed twice last year by the Tahs.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
fatprop said:
PaarlBok said:

Hmm

I was at both games and don't remember them being destroyed although I can remember the Tahs had the upper hand in the Semis.

Up to now the Sharks have not scrummed well and I am starting to think the problem is not the front row but the locks and probably the whole scrum as a unit. They have awesome front rowers so the problem can't be there. :nta:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Blue said:
fatprop said:
PaarlBok said:

Hmm

I was at both games and don't remember them being destroyed although I can remember the Tahs had the upper hand in the Semis.

Up to now the Sharks have not scrummed well and I am starting to think the problem is not the front row but the locks and probably the whole scrum as a unit. They have awesome front rowers so the problem can't be there. :nta:

pffft

in prop speak "upper hand" means I was in charge so you get to buy the first round to "discuss" it after the game.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
fatprop said:
Blue said:
fatprop said:
PaarlBok said:

Hmm

pffft

in prop speak "upper hand" means I was in charge so you get to buy the first round to "discuss" it after the game.
OK I'll admit I am not the scrumming expert but if the Sharks dont have the better kind of scrum I'll be a worried man. Its the Bok unit that one. Maybe they havent perform for the Sharks but they sure wasnt bad for the Bokke. Myself more worried about the ref in this match. :nta: Bryce Lawrense. :eek:

S

Spook

Back on subject. Brumbies have axed 3 players from the 22. Sitaleki Timani, Nic Henderson and Francis Fainifo have been dumped. Shame about Timani but he is still raw.

Mortlock is highly unlikely to play at this stage. If he can't play, T Smith will move to outside centre and Gene Fairbanks will move to 12. FFS, this is the 3rd centre partnership employed and these blokes haven't play next to each other. Surprised AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hasn't been pencilled in for 13 but I suspect it's due to the lack of quality finishers in the Brumbies squad. Furthermore, the Brumbies need the quickest blokes and best defenders on the wings to stop the Sharks pace out wide. Rattlebones will take the other wing spot and Mafi is on the bench finally. Fanifo has been rubbish the year. Rattles has done nothing ...either bad or good..but at he can tackle and finish opportunities (when he doesn't drop the ball).

Mitch Chapman gets his chance at 6 with his first start this year with. He hasn't played any Super rugby at all this year so it's his opportunity to prove he isn't soft and make the position his own.

As Friend admits, he still doesn't know what his best side is. Bit of a concern at 1/2 way through the comp. ::) The pigs have been doing their job, time the backs to create something for once.

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Guy Shepherdson
4. Ben Hand
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Mitchell Chapman
7. George Smith (c)
8. Julian Salvi
9. Joshua Holmes
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Clyde Rathbone
12. Tyrone Smith/Fairbanks
13. Stirling Mortlock/Smith
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Mark Gerrard

Reserves
16. Huia Edmonds
17. Salesi Ma?afu
18. Shawn Mackay
19. Peter Kimlin
20. Patrick Phibbs
21. Gene Fairbanks
22. Alfi Mafi
23. Matt To'omua

** one to be omitted

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Smit is capable at either propping spot, but a far better hooker IMHO. The bulk is there but the subtleties aren't. Tell you what though: I'd have him as my skipper any day. He seems a great bloke and leads by example.

Even if he plays THP, he's good enough to hold off any options the Brumbies have at loosehead.

S

Spook

NTA said:
Smit is capable at either propping spot, but a far better hooker IMHO. The bulk is there but the subtleties aren't. Tell you what though: I'd have him as my skipper any day. He seems a great bloke and leads by example.

Even if he plays THP, he's good enough to hold off any options the Brumbies Australia (Robinson excluded) have at loosehead.

Nicky, Alexander is coming along nicely. I reckon he should be training for a tight head role maybe?

Anyway, Brumbies hammered. I'm very pissed off. Bloody useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.