• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - Round 2, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Waratahs scrum as mentioned was a disaster, particularly in the second half. If the scrum can't improve, then 2016 will be a poor one. The choice of scrum coach could well be Gibson's worst selection of his coaching career. The Blades brothers are fantastic rugby people - but so are most of us on these threads. Neither have ever shown that they are the right people to coach at provincial or test level.

I thought that the commitment was good in other aspects of the game - we hung in well despite possession and territory going against us.

Unfortunately, I have a really bad feeling about 2016.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Roach. Shit, sorry.

Haven't seen the game but based on last week against the Reds, its not great reading for the scrum.

The talk about Ta'avao was probably based on the Blues second row not being half bad. Problem with our second row is no-one is hardening up and doing the work. Skelton continues to disappoint in this, mainly.

Overall the whole scrum against the Reds wasn't working as a unit. There is enough raw size and power there, but its poorly directed, and quite frankly Paddy isn't a loosehead.

Paddy was no better when he was at TH tonight. Also even from my un-learned eye I could see that Ta'avao's legs were pretty much extended straight on every engage we saw on his side. I'll be happy to be corrected by a front row adept but what I saw was exactly what was making my Blue's supporter "mate" laugh so hard about when he was telling me about his abilities at TH.

Problem is Pfitzy WTF did the Tahs do to cover the front row apart from recruit somebody that was recommended by a faded LH? They didn't act to recruit adequate coverage at LH given how average Robinson has been for a couple of years and the lack of adequate coverage. It is also safe to assume that TPN will spend at least half the season injured because of his tackling technique so there needed to be a genuine third hooker, and Roach isn't even close IMO, he is a 7 masquerading as a Hooker.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Well...

The positives.
1. The margin wasn't as big as I thought it would be (excluding the last minute try).
2. Line out didn't implode.
3. Phipps. The everywhere man. Best scrum half in Australia by a mile.

The negatives.
1. The props. Enough said.
2. The second row. Louisi - what does he add to the team?
3. TPN's kamikaze tackling.
4. The scrum.
5. The injuries - Horne, Hegarty, TPN.
6. The shit goal kicking by Beale. Why don't we have a kicker?
7. Still undecided about Beale at 10 for the entire game with no other options. He doesn't control the game well enough.
8. Did I mention the scrum?
9. The lack of dominance at the ruck. The Brumbies dominated their ball. We sent one or two in at a time.

I generally don't like to talk about the match officials but there was so much dropped ball that seemed to go straight down. Really?

The ref making a decision and allowing himself to be over ruled by the TMO despite them both watching the same footage. Really?

The second yellow card to the Tahs. No yellow card for the Brumbies infringing within the 5 in the second half. Really?

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
I think it's going to be a long, painful year for a lot of Waratah fans.

Much like the Hickey and Foley years.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The second yellow card to the Tahs. No yellow card for the Brumbies infringing within the 5 in the second half. Really?

The Tahs were lucky not to have another one or two cards during that match (Folau, Lousi, Lucas)............

I can't recall a situation where the Brumbies warranted a yellow? They were far better disciplined than last week.........

G

galumay

Great tussle, these two teams will be right at the top of the comp on this form. The score only blew out thanks to a pure luck try at the death. Tah's took it right up to the Brumbies who really only had an advantage in the scrums. Brumbies probably got the rub of the green with the ref, but thats what happens when you start as poorly as the Tah's did. Both sides showed awesome defence, any team will struggle to score many tries against them.

Sorry the Tah's didnt get over the line this time, but we will get our chance for revenge later on this season. Its going to make selection for the Wobblies very interesting!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think it's going to be a long, painful year for a lot of Waratah fans.

Much like the Hickey and Foley years.

Jeez I think that's a really early call.

It's round 2. The Brumbies look to be the form side in the comp, and we were right in the game away from home until the last 10 minutes.

Fix up the discipline, patch up the scrum and there is no reason why we can't make the finals.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

It's round 2. The Brumbies look to be the form side in the comp, and we were right in the game away from home until the last 10 minutes.

Fix up the discipline, patch up the scrum and there is no reason why we can't make the finals.
Unless we have some industrial Unobtainium, I'm not exactly sure with what the scrum can be patched. Your optimism is admirable, but it's a pretty big problem.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think the Tahs did well to stay in the picture but I think the Brumbies won more than the scrum battle. The ruck and maul was theirs and the backline certainly looked better.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)

Maybe it was an over reaction by me... But that high blood pressure from pre-2012 came back to visit me during the first 10 minutes of the game.

Fixing the scrum. What's the short term solution?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Dunno. I expect Gibson has been coaching them tho ;)

Didn't see the game. Result was as expected, margin was poo - for the Ponies. Maybe the Canes are more shit than we thought?

In any case, titles aren't won in March, but there is a shitload of work for the Tahs to do on that set piece. And if TPN is rooted, its up to Roach, because Latu doesn't seem interested in staying on the field.
They can be lost though.

If Australia only provides one team to the finals then the question is will the Waratahs win one more game than the Brumbies before the end o the season, this will now bring them even.

To ensure a spot the Tahs will need to win two more games than the Brumbies to make the finals.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Unless we have some industrial Unobtainium, I'm not exactly sure with what the scrum can be patched. Your optimism is admirable, but it's a pretty big problem.

We have just faced the two best scrums in Aus by far, and possibly the comp.

Even then the scrum held up reasonably well for the first 60 before falling apart. Fat Cat back will help. It's never going to be great, but with work I can see it becoming less of a liability.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The simple fact is that no team can win a professional rugby competition without at least having parity at the scrum.

They've been training for weeks, one would assume that scrummaging would have been a significant part of this??? There's always room for improvement, but you'd like to think that we'd have this stuff sorted before the competition starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.