• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - Round 2, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So in regards to Latu's impending suspension do Sydney Uni play a trial this weekend and does it count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It shouldn't count this week as he was not in a position to play after the super game last night. If the Waratahs have a bye during the suspension period, they may be able to count that as it could be argued that he would be sent back there for some match fitness.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I. Seemed like the Tahs knew they couldnt win without this unsportmans like approach.

I think that you are stretching the bounds of credibility with this comment.

Are you suggesting that the Waratahs as a matter of tactics went out there to commit acts of foul play?

We displayed poor discipline, but I disagree that it was a deliberate tactic.

Along with the scrum, it's something that the coach needs to fix and fix quickly.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I think that you are stretching the bounds of credibility with this comment.

Are you suggesting that the Waratahs as a matter of tactics went out there to commit acts of foul play?

We displayed poor discipline, but I disagree that it was a deliberate tactic.

Along with the scrum, it's something that the coach needs to fix and fix quickly.

indeed... poor discipline with intent

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I can't say I missed the provincial bias of some posters. The inability to be objective in critique blinds people to areas that their side can improve.

The Tahs woeful set pieces have been hidden by the success at the breakdown and the defence/attack areas of the game. I and others have been harping on about the issues at set piece, even in the Championship year, as looking at such areas of weakness would bring sustained high performance. Yes laud the success and enjoy it, don't doubt for a second think I don't, but I'm interested in sustained success also.

On the Brumbies the same is true, last year they were very heavily penalised and this year has started the same. The blindness of some to accept that there are significant areas for improvement, especially around the breakdown is laughable and the excuses that the Tahs were so poor and dirty even more so. The lack of discipline of the Tahs allowed the Brumbies to get away with transgressions that against a disciplined side will get them penalised off the park.

A morning review of the game hasn't changed my views which haven't really changed for the Australian conference since the trials, Brumbies will win easily, Tahs will be a distant second (by performance not necessarily on the conference table) though with the injuries the Rebels are a strong chance to knock the Tahs to third.

Interesting to see Pocock seems to be choosing his battles at the breakdown more carefully after being pinged heavily in previous outings ... I suspect there may be a desperation/motivation factor at play from the Brumbies to jag another title as the current playing group contemplates life without Stephen Moore in 2016 ...as Elvis sang ..."It's now or never" At this stage they seem to want it more . The Tahs appear to be a work in progress , the highlight for me has been Kurtley looking to become the player he was meant to be ..let hope it continues . I keep looking for Foley as I think when he is there the side has more balance . The Melee reminded me of Russian Roulette on Channel 9's World Championship Wrestling ... Andre the Giant , The Iron Shiek (from Tehran Iran) , Tex McKenzie , Mark Lewin , King Curtis , Larry O'Day , Ron Miller , Mario Milano , Spiros Arion . Killer Karl Cox etc and not to mention three guys who could challenge the Fox Sports Commentary ensemble ie. Jack Little , Rugby League/Union and athletics legend Mike Cleary & the late and great AFL legend Ted Whitten .... Gosh how did I end up at this point ? I suppose the Ref said it best "Come on guys . kids have to watch this?" Touche Ref .....Which was a poignant segue to the Brumbies generous $20,000 check presentation towards domestic violence ... yes last night had it all .

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Tahs were lucky not to have another one or two cards during that match (Folau, Lousi, Lucas)....

I can't recall a situation where the Brumbies warranted a yellow? They were far better disciplined than last week...

Spoken by someone with blue and yellow glasses. At virtually every ruck the Brumbies went off their feet and continued to play at the ball while they were supposedly out of the play. To use the word ruck is something of a misnomer; in order to have a ruck you have to have defensive players on their feet over the ball. And it was never penalised. I know the game was in Canberra and the ref wanted to get out alive but the refusal to make the rucks legal ruined that part of the game totally.

And as for no yellow being warranted, did you count how many times the Brumbies were penalised when the Waratahs were inside their 22? They did not even get one warning. At the other end however it was a different story.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And as for no yellow being warranted, did you count how many times the Brumbies were penalised when the Waratahs were inside their 22? They did not even get one warning. At the other end however.

Once..........

In the 49th minute of the match.

Spoken by someone with blue and yellow glasses. At virtually every ruck the Brumbies went off their feet and continued to play at the ball while they were supposedly out of the play.

Hawko and Gnostic are the same person?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Well, where I'm from jagging something means you haven't deserved it, or you got lucky. Frankly as long as they keep winning, I don't care how they do it. They might play to the enth degree of the rules, but name me one side that doesn't.

Edit: if that means they win a game in the last 10-15 minutes, so be it.

T

TOCC

Spoken by someone with blue and yellow glasses. At virtually every ruck the Brumbies went off their feet and continued to play at the ball while they were supposedly out of the play. To use the word ruck is something of a misnomer; in order to have a ruck you have to have defensive players on their feet over the ball. And it was never penalised. I know the game was in Canberra and the ref wanted to get out alive but the refusal to make the rucks legal ruined that part of the game totally.

And as for no yellow being warranted, did you count how many times the Brumbies were penalised when the Waratahs were inside their 22? They did not even get one warning. At the other end however it was a different story.

I wear strictly red or canary yellow glasses, and I don't think the Brumbies warranted a yellow card in that match, whereas the Tahs could have reasonably received one or two more.

I think the ref handled the match reasonably well and probably did the Tahs a favour by not forcing scrum resets on collapsed scrums earlier in the match. There were a few collapsed scrums where he made the Brumbies half play the ball rather then reset.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Hawko, at about the 59th minute, Cliff Palu flies into Stephen Moore in a ruck without using his arms. Exactly the same infringement for which Skelton earned an off field yc. That is one prime example of where the Tahs should have had another player off for 10 minutes.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kafe saw the upper cut. I saw it. How did the officials not see it?

We all saw it, but did Kafe need to carry on like a Soccer Mum while the Producer couldn't find the punch?

Citing Commissioner was always going to find it.

Very silly play from Latu, who will deservedly get a rest of several weeks, especially when it looks like TPN is out for 6-8 weeks with a broken arm.

Roche is the next cab off the ranks to start in the #2 jumper. Who will the bench hooker?
Luke Holmes? Porecki has gone overseas, so last years stop gap measure won't work. Next you would be scouring the NRC and former/current Under 20 ranks if you can't land Luke Holmes.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Very silly play from Latu, who will deservedly get a rest of several weeks, especially when it looks like TPN is out for 6-8 weeks with a broken arm.

Roche is the next cab off the ranks to start in the #2 jumper. Who will the bench hooker?
Luke Holmes? Porecki has gone overseas, so last years stop gap measure won't work. Next you would be scouring the NRC and former/current Under 20 ranks if you can't land Luke Holmes.

At least you could be sure that Luke Holmes will give you 100% for every minute he's on the field and he certainly won't resort to the cheap shots that Latu is fast becoming noted for.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We all saw it, but did Kafe need to carry on like a Soccer Mum while the Producer couldn't find the punch?

Citing Commissioner was always going to find it.

Kafer loses all objectivity when the Brumbies are playing and his pathological hatred of the Waratahs magnifies his hysteria when the two teams play each other.

I used to consider him a knowledgeable contributor, now he's just another of the bufoons on Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.