• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - Round 2, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

Stan Wickham (3)
It's still early days but I get the distinct impression that Toua is about as effective in defence as Mogg and Coleman. It would be nice to have someone safe at the back for once.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't think Toua is ready to be compared to Mogg.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I will watch him with more interest this week, assuming of course that he gets an opportunity to defend in the last line against the Force.;)

I would also encourage anyone interested in his progress to take note of the times he takes the ball at first receiver or runs onto it in the centres, and his effectiveness when doing so.

Moreover, he wouldn't be the first player to miss Izzy in defense, quite the opposite I would say. However, outside of his try, didn't the Brumbies keep him relatively quiet last week. Christian Lealiifano should earn a particular mention in this regard.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Strong game?

I thought he was pretty average....

His kicking was better than say, Speight, but not as good as say.... Fardy?

He also is responsible for letting the Folau try in..... in fact, I don't hold a lot of confidence in his defence...

So far I would actually say he's been a step down from Mogg.

He's getting a terrible bagging for one missed tackle. It was a two-on-one situation 10 metres out with the backline all running at him at full pelt. A better culprit to look for is how the mismatch happened. Who was the player who drifted in onto the inside player so that it became a two-on-one? How did the drift defence get so off song that either Izzy or the winger would have scored. Toua was left stranded and tackled no one, but why was he stranded?

I thought as a Tahs fan that he had quite a good game. I liked his running with the ball and his kicking was average to good. He would be my first choice 15 from what's there and I think will develop over time into a fringe candidate for the Wallabies.

You might have Jonah Placid as your 15. Now do you think Toua was all that bad?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The ridiculous thing about modern stoushes is that they consist of a dozen players all holding each other back from mayhem they have no intention of committing. Sometimes a player gets caught with no-one to hold back and they look like a complete idiot.

Anyone remember the '3rd man in" law, where running into a two-person melee led to automatic sanctions? Now players are running 20m to be 12th man in and no problem. Not a fan.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
In the modern era, no team can win the competition giving away silly penalties and/or getting players regularly carded.

We need to fix the discipline ASAP.

Agreed.
Perhaps it's something to do with players now having a coach who was "only" the assistant coach recently, and hasn't yet stamped his authority. Also, the previous coach was also the national coach and Daryl doesn't have that gravitas.
He needs to drag a non-performing player early in their next game or not send back a yellow-carded player to get his message home.
I'm sure there are better ways of instilling discipline but those ideas are just a start.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Agreed.
Perhaps it's something to do with players now having a coach who was "only" the assistant coach recently, and hasn't yet stamped his authority. Also, the previous coach was also the national coach and Daryl doesn't have that gravitas.
He needs to drag a non-performing player early in their next game or not send back a yellow-carded player to get his message home.
I'm sure there are better ways of instilling discipline but those ideas are just a start.

I reckon that winning a few games might garner more obedience than random punishments, which only make people want to be invisible.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He's getting a terrible bagging for one missed tackle. It was a two-on-one situation 10 metres out with the backline all running at him at full pelt. A better culprit to look for is how the mismatch happened. Who was the player who drifted in onto the inside player so that it became a two-on-one? How did the drift defence get so off song that either Izzy or the winger would have scored. Toua was left stranded and tackled no one, but why was he stranded?

I thought as a Tahs fan that he had quite a good game. I liked his running with the ball and his kicking was average to good. He would be my first choice 15 from what's there and I think will develop over time into a fringe candidate for the Wallabies.

You might have Jonah Placid as your 15. Now do you think Toua was all that bad?
Izzy gave Tomane a great stiff arm, that's what caused the 2 on 1, no shame from either of them to be honest, Izzy can do that to anyone..

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK, so of the 'tahs match day 23 (being 15 Israel Folau, 14 Matt Carraro, 13 Rob Horne, 12 David Horwitz, 11 Zac Guildford, 10 Kurtley Beale 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Jed Holloway, 7 Michael Hooper, (c) 6 David Dennis , 5 Will Skelton, 4 Dean Mumm , 3 Angus Ta’avao, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Paddy Ryan Replacements: 16 Tolu Latu, 17 Matt Sandell, 18 Jeremy Tilse, 19 Sam Lousi, 20 Wycliff Palu, 21 Jack Dempsey, 22 Matt Lucas, 23 Bryce Hegarty) NOT ONE OF THEM played in the Shute Shield on Saturday.

And yet, we're expected to believe that Latu, had he not been suspended, would have played for Sydney Uni. In a trial match FFS. Bullshit much? Fuck me, they even claimed that Latu & SEVERAL OTHERS were scheduled to turn out. I sincerely hope this comes back to bite the 'tahs on the dick. They deserve no less.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^^^^^^^^^^ I cannot like this enough!!!

It certainly makes SANZAR and certain judicial officer look like incompetent numptys!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's a pretty shabby ruse that has been well used by many teams, and will keep being abused until SANZAAAAAAAAR do the sensible thing and make the suspensions Super Rugby specific.
This is in no way an endorsement of the practice. But if they're stupid enough to leave a big loophole open, it will get abused. Seems a simple fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Either that or make the bye count as a match to avoid any controversy.

Their problem comes back to it being a ban from all forms of the game and all unions respecting judiciary decisions whichever union makes them.

The expectation as it has always stood with SANZAR/SANZAAR should be that each week will count as a game unless there is absolutely no game that player could have been involved in (as happened with Speight a couple of years ago when club rugby finals were on and his team had been eliminated).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Even then there are Barbarian type invitation games that the "banned" player could have been involved in. It is a murky area.
Ban them for x weeks or n games, and some clever sausage will find a way around the intent of the ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.