• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Byrnes gets 10 Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

At the game, I saw Carter get very upset and he spoke directly to the refs. He pointed to his face and you could clearly see some blood/flesh wound at the top of the side of his nose on the big screen.

Vision was inconclusive, but his (Byrnes) hand was covering Cater's face.

Still, I don't suppose you get 10 weeks on suspicion of eye gouging....so some-one saw or admitted something.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The way the article reads it sounds like "Well he has a scratch so you must of gouged him" that can't possible be right can it?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrug...12-judicial-adam-byrnes-banned-for-ten-weeks/

After consideration of extensive video footage of the incident and written testimony from Tom Carter and the Waratahs Team Doctor, Dr Luke Inman, there was sufficient evidence to support that contact had been made with the right eye and bridge of the nose of the Waratahs player Tom Carter during the course of a ruck by the player Byrnes in contravention of the laws of the game.

Medical evidence was presented that demonstrated that Mr Carter had sustained a minor scratch to the eye but was otherwise uninjured. The entry point of an offence of this nature is 12 weeks in accordance with IRB Regulation 17.

Credit was given to Mr Byrnes for his otherwise unblemished record by reducing the suspension by 2 weeks and therefore he is suspended from all forms of the game for ten weeks, up to and including the 13th May 2012.

Tough position for SANZAR, a guilty eye-gouging verdict always carries a harsh penalty. There isn't much room for middle ground.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fox had some footage of it during the game. Byrnes hand clearly crossed Carter's face but I didn't think Byrnes was looking and I thought it was a stretch to say that he definitely attempted an eye gouge.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
On a side note if the entry point is 12 weeks how can you get less? surely 12 weeks is for a good record and you move from there. or call it something else.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
From what we all saw on TV there was no evidence of anything happening. Or at least anything worth 10weeks, must be some footage that we haven't been given.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
@ Sully - 12 weeks is standard for an eye gouge. A clean record may lead to a "discount", as has been applied here. Apparently, Byrnes had a clean record.

D

daz

Geez, you think Mitch Inman could have bribed his Doctor brother Luke to testify in the Rebs favour...

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Replay clearly shows Byrnes hand go over face but if you process what you saw - his hand was open and no were was it visible that his fingers gouged into his eye. The whole thing was very quick and it does not seem that he could have gouged. Scratched yes, gouged - sorry can't see that. I am a total fence sitter when it comes to this incident (reds fan - obvious!) and I can't see 10 weeks in that. Scapegoat as a warning for all others for the start of a season!

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Byrnes does have a rep as being a bit of a mug ... Carter was probably pushed to follow it through as well

W

Waylon

Byrnes is a serial pest. he's alway niggling people.......pushing their head in the ground, raking his boots on people, coming in the side and hitting ribs, facials, squirrels, holding legs, stamping on people. he spends most of his game giving people cheap shots. His ability is minimal

It's a shame he didn't get rubbed out for the rest of the season. Deliberate eye gouges ruin people lives by taking their vision away. That sh1te is unacceptable

W

Waylon

Which Force players have you seen eye gouging? Indulge me

The Force is a franchise that creates opportunity

Many of the blokes who have come through the ranks got there on bloody hard workrather than reputation

The Force have pulled off some of the biggest upsets in the history of Australian rugby.

Dirty play is not in their creed

Having a massive go is

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I saw the incident and the replay (which was only shown once) and thought then there wasn't anything to it. I do not doubtr Carter felt he had been gouged but from what I saw there was no evidence to prove intent. Is it strict liability now that contact with the face carries the penalties for gouging? I could see evidence to support a case of negligent contact above the shoulders but nothing to say there was gouging, I would be extpecting an appeal from the Rebs and Byrnes. Nobody wants to be known gouger, not even Adam.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually, I was referring mostly to the following:

Byrnes is a serial pest. he's alway niggling people.......pushing their head in the ground, raking his boots on people, coming in the side and hitting ribs, facials, squirrels, holding legs, stamping on people. he spends most of his game giving people cheap shots. His ability is minimal

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Incident certainly didn't seem to warrant that sort of ban, unless it wasn't the one we all saw. Consistency within the 3n is again a joke. Last year we saw players get away with raking fingers across the face (not gouging but raking) - this seems to be a very similar incident and he cops 10 weeks!

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Adam Byrnes deserves it. A number of times during the game he tried to get under the skin of players from the Waratahs with dirty play, as posted before he is a 'serial pest' have fun sitting out for 10 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.