• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Thanks rich.

Imagine a forward pack with the likes of

Williams, Bell, Harris, Moretti, Reimer, Freeman, Pollard. power, skill and tenacity all around. A tough pack to beat.

Very strong pack there W88. Big, althletic and versatile (ie they can each play a few positions which is, of course, very important in tournament footy).

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Some initial results for Cranbrook supporters from the High Country via the TAS rugby app. 13As Cranbrook 69-TAS 0. 14As Cranbrook 53, TAS 17. 14Bs Cranbrook 35 TAS 29. I couldn't work out who had won the the 15Bs because of a confusion in the scoring in a fast fluctuating match. Cranbrook in front 43-0 in the 15As. 16As Cranbrook 26, TAS 0. 16Bs Crabrook 22, TAS 14.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
To my knowledge, it's the same grades. In the Firsts at the moment, Cranbrook 12, TAS 0

That's part of the reason why this broader pre-season is so interesting because it provides greater variety in competition across groups who play at different levels and would not otherwise meet.. So Kinross played TAS at the same level, allowing an indirect comparison of standards across levels when they play other schools. I think Kinross Firts meet view Firsts today?

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
That's a good effort by the TAS boys as they're usually down in the fifths comp in the GPS.

Hi up the guts. Along with High and Grammar, TAS Firsts play in the GPS thirds comp and are highly competitive there in terms of premierships. Unfortunately, the three schools simply do not have the number of boys to compete in what has become a semi-professional top comp. It still feels a little odd to me. I played in the TAS seconds at a time when the school was more competitive and indeed we beat Cranbrook :)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hi up the guts. Along with High and Grammar, TAS Firsts play in the GPS thirds comp and are highly competitive there in terms of premierships. Unfortunately, the three schools simply do not have the number of boys to compete in what has become a semi-professional top comp. It still feels a little odd to me. I played in the TAS seconds at a time when the school was more competitive and indeed we beat Cranbrook :)

Yes, I should have clarified that only in recent years TAS 2nds have been competing in the 5ths competition and the 1sts in the thirds. I know in the 3rds comp it's always dangerous playing a school's 1st XV because it's likely that there are a couple of very good players in there. These trial matches would be great for TAS etc. as they get to test their strengths against other 1st XV sides.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes, I should have clarified that only in recent years TAS 2nds have been competing in the 5ths competition and the 1sts in the thirds. I know in the 3rds comp it's always dangerous playing a school's 1st XV because it's likely that there are a couple of very good players in there. These trial matches would be great for TAS etc. as they get to test their strengths against other 1st XV sides.

You make some good points. One of the huge problems especially for country schools is to get the range of games they need especially in the lower grades.Over the last two years, TAS Thirds have struggled to get games. This year they have had two, one against Kinross thirds, a second against Farrer Thirds for one loss one win. it's hard to motivate boys (I coached a TAS thirds team a long while ago!) when they train twice a week and then can't play. It's not just the thirds but the lower grades as well. How do you build depth in the opens when you have the numbers for at least a thirds and sometimes more but they have no-one to play against? They just can't build skills or motivation, this truncating the pool for thw higher grades who do have games. I don't have an answer.

Score in Armidale in the Firsts now Cranbrook 27 TAS 14.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Cranbrook dominate the entire game and it ended up being called at only 60 minutes, who knows what the score would’ve been if they played the full 70.

This doesn't sound right. I wasn't there, but it doesn't fit scores (22-7 half time, 44-14 full time) or the reported times on the App

Status
Not open for further replies.