• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks WLF, he completes the Waverly team very nicely and will definitely be up there for CAS selection.

UTG's

Clearly you could see his ability, has a major impact in games, but as you know, when it comes to Rep selections......
Remember how last year the Aussie school boy team had the combinations mentioned above broken up, and this yypically happens every year.

Are there any Shore boys who you think might push for the Geeps 1s or 2s?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
UTG's

Clearly you could see his ability, has a major impact in games, but as you know, when it comes to Rep selections..
Remember how last year the Aussie school boy team had the combinations mentioned above broken up, and this yypically happens every year.

Are there any Shore boys who you think might push for the Geeps 1s or 2s?

I'm not sure whether Shore will have any in GPS 1s or 2s this year, I expect a couple to make the GPS Blue or White team. There are a couple of players who may well have cracked a 1st or 2nds team if they were in a better performing team but the as the selectors often favour players from the top schools (they really have no option when the teams are named before the competition has really even got going) I can't see them making it.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Thanks WLF, he completes the Waverly team very nicely and will definitely be up there for CAS selection.

I rate him. I watched the Waves Scots match from up on the balcony. He did not get that much opportunity that day but his talent was obvious. Hence my leaving open a spot in the backs.

casrugby2017

Frank Nicholson (4)
Barker is having a fantastic season, and as listed above I have 10 barker players in the starting teams- they will also get others in reserves and probably have 12-13 or so overall selected for their work so far.

But Edmed from Trinity or Pollack from Aloys are going to be the 10 for the firsts team. They are a class above the other 10’s in the Comp.

Barker have gone very well, they beat joeys- so did Trinity.

Barker lost to Riverview by 5, Waverley lost by 6, without Moretti.

Waverley have only lost 1 other game this year, against a team that Barker hasn’t played.

The quality of players in other CAS schools is very similar to others. This year-Especially Trinity, Aloys, Barker and Waverley.

I think you would be doing Knox hard done by if you didnt think they had some quality players, I think a few from Knox will be making the sides?

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Any thoughts yet as to how a prospective 2018 CAS team may compare to the (outstanding) 2017 CAS team and any assessment on chances v GPS? I have not been around to watch other CAS teams to form any views yet.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Any thoughts yet as to how a prospective 2018 CAS team may compare to the (outstanding) 2017 CAS team and any assessment on chances v GPS? I have not been around to watch other CAS teams to form any views yet.

Hasbeen,

Clearly difficult to say until we see the actual team but I think most CAS supporters probably agree we have real strengths in some areas and unknowns in others.

I believe we have an abundance of seriously good back rowers, ie flankers and locks, more than likely a few Aussie schoolboys.
As Rod Skellet aptly pointed out, these guys will be at the forefront of our CAS campaign v all other associations.
This in itself shouldn't be taken lightly as these positions often decide who wins, ie if they can dominate possession then games will be won.

Areas of interest will be the front rowers, hooker Pollard is a must. I think the other key positions will be 9/10/12.
There are a few considerations here, 1 idea is in favor of combinations eg the Barker trio,which makes sense after last years Waverley combo, the other idea is for individual players from a few schools who may/may not be individually better players.

Either way you can bet the GPS,ISA and other associations will be packed with good players, but that is the same every year!

Bring it on, and don't be surprised when the CAS win again!

That's an invitation for the Geeps to respond, and you know who you are.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree. The edge in the backs seems to manifest on what I have seen through error free play rather than player brilliance.

Up_the_guts

Frank Row (1)
I think Westbury is in real contention for CAS 1st XV full back. He adds flare that is unmatched in the position throughout the CAS competition. He now resides at fullback but played 10 for half of last season and has a wonderful pass on him, his versatility as an adequate 2nd Fly-half gives the selectors the advantage of picking a big ball running 12, and allows the 10 to have the confidence to run himself from time to time. Not to mention, he is an extremely reliable last line of defence, his one on one tackling is outstanding. He represented the CAS 2's last year, but also went on to play NSW 7's. Watch out for him in the first few rounds of CAS.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I think any talk of Aust schoolboys is very premature. Particularly this year where competion for spots is likely to be even higher than normal.

I can think of at least 6 lads from NSW alone who are good enough to play back row for Aust schools. But just because you are good enough doesnt mean you will.

And that group of 6 doesnt take into account the other states where, from just QLD for example, there is going to be a 2018 version or 3 of the likes of Fraser McReight, Liam Wright or Tom Kibble.

All bodes well for Aust schools this year, who i have a sneaky feeling might have a break out year and be really competitive against Kiwis.

Only time will tell.

Agree Rich.
My real point was that in these few positions there are a number of very good players, possibly more than usual, and unlike most years,this bunch probably are real contenders for the top level.
There are clearly also a number GPS boys, we know who they are, along with ISA etc and then the other states.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
CAS comp starts this Saturday, doesnt it?

Anyone got any tips for who will finish 1 to 6?

Rollin maul, here are a few tips I have heard, happy to expose them.

1. Barker.
2. Trinity.
3/4. Knox/Aloys.
5/6. Cranbrook/Waverley.

Who knows, what do you know/what are you hearing?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I'll give it a go from the comfort of my GPS Armchair. Apologies for any "howlers" having not seen Waverley or Cranbrook play. Relied on match reports or incumbency for the Waverley Boys
1. Frear (K)
2. Pollard (B)
3. Lambert (T)
4. Flaherty (B)
5. Whiteman (W)
6. Reimer (B)
7. Molloy (W)
8. Morretti (W)
9. Tejcek (B)
10. Edmed (T)
11. Baldwin (W)
12. Hutchinson-Walters (W)
13. Ilias (T)
14. Galloway (B)
15. Kitchener (B)
16. F Spalding (A)
17. Ginis (T)
18. Kablau (K)
19. Yates (K)
20. Pollack (A)
21. Westbury (A)
22. Chambers (T)
23. Rechner (K)
So by school in squad (B) 6, (W) 5, (T) 5, (K) 4, (A) 3

AS, amazing,I would have chosen the exact same run on side for the CAS 1st XV but you must include Tadgh Murphy (waves), in the 23, an extremely versatile back row forward, who if included,is powerful and talented enough to push for higher honors.

Hats off to you and this is not your homeland , I think we all know, but take this as a compliment that your intuition and knowledge is superb!

Can't wait to see all the chosen Rep sides.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
AS, amazing,I would have chosen the exact same run on side for the CAS 1st XV but you must include Tadgh Murphy (waves), in the 23, an extremely versatile back row forward, who if included,is powerful and talented enough to push for higher honors.

Hats off to you and this is not your homeland , I think we all know, but take this as a compliment that your intuition and knowledge is superb!

Can't wait to see all the chosen Rep sides.

Thanks WLF no doubt some exciting weeks ahead. All the best to the teams competing this weekend. Agree Murphy will be in the mix. CAS I and II will be very competitive.

Hopefully Joeys will open Jacks Bar for refreshments after CAS V GPS at Hunters Hill on 26 June so all can celebrate! :D

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
OK, This is what I really think.

1.Waves
2.Barker
3.Trinity
4.Knox
5.Aloys
6.Cranbrook

How's that Rod and Hasbeen?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks WLF no doubt some exciting weeks ahead. All the best to the teams competing this weekend. Agree Murphy will be in the mix. CAS I and II will be very competitive.

Hopefully Joeys will open Jacks Bar for refreshments after CAS V GPS at Hunters Hill on 26 June so all can celebrate! :D

As, We all love Jacks Bar, reminds me of the good old days!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.