• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I know I have slipped Hasbeen, but with EOFY upon us, the job that pays the bills has required attention today.

Alas, I have been relying on the word of others, which has been noticeable for its shortness of detail.

Any results update??..From the gps thread, GPS swamped CHS by plenty

Mcgregor man

Frank Row (1)
Great for Aloys rugby . so hopefully this gives younger kids some inspiration.

You never want to read too much into highlights . however it strikes me that it is on the edges where Waverley leaked the points. [Didn't help that Waverley played with 14 men for last 20 minutes, when they might of been playing catch-up.]

and ironically that is where Waverley should beat Cranbrook. on the edges.

pretty much most 1st XV teams have wingers that are good in attack, but are dubious in defence

Knox against Cranbrook, looked so dangerous (with the likes of Ollie Evans) on the edges . however they kept trying to punch it up close to the ruck . where Cranbrook is strong.

anyways Waverley surely will bounce back . in the match at QP . versus Cranbrook!

PS Re the red card . did Moretti really do anything that bad .. he strikes me as a good kid. Never seen any niggle .. from him.

and question . say you get a red card for a lifting tackle . does that put you out for 1 game . same as if say you . went "once were warriors", and struck a player?

Hey mate,

I’m not a referee so I’m not sure but I believe if you get a red card you have to go to a board who oversees this and the tackle was quite gruesome. Also I’m not actually an aloys/Waverley parent so wasn’t watching too hard (my nephew was playing in the Waverley 2’s ) but of the ball I did she him take a swing at someone on the ground and then the boy run off with a bad bleeding nose (hope it’s okay if anyone knows) disappointingly the ref didn’t see it no place for it in our game. Apparently he is a leaguey like his brother must just come out in the heat of the game like it does for a lot of them but otherwise nice guys, just speculating though.

Hope this helps DC

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
My understanding is that the disciplinary action is left up to the boy’s own school but the convention is that a red card means a suspension of at least one game. It’s possible that this has changed very recently but if so it has escaped me. I can’t recall an occasion in which the one match suspension has not been applied nor can I recall it being increased although in theory both could occur.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
If the Rebels U18 academy side is playing Qld U18 academy side, how many of those players are turning up to Riverview in the next week to play in the National Schools Champs??

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hey mate,

I’m not a referee so I’m not sure but I believe if you get a red card you have to go to a board who oversees this and the tackle was quite gruesome. Also I’m not actually an aloys/Waverley parent so wasn’t watching too hard (my nephew was playing in the Waverley 2’s ) but of the ball I did she him take a swing at someone on the ground and then the boy run off with a bad bleeding nose (hope it’s okay if anyone knows) disappointingly the ref didn’t see it no place for it in our game. Apparently he is a leaguey like his brother must just come out in the heat of the game like it does for a lot of them but otherwise nice guys, just speculating though.

Hope this helps DC

That's interesting regarding the "taking a swing" comment. I wasn't there, so don't know what happened.

However, I was at the Waverley V Knox day, and watched 4 of those matches. It struck me that every Waverley team played very hard, but they were the "cleanest" games I had every seen at Death Valley.

I believe the Waverley Principal has decreed that hard play is a given, but punching will meet a school imposed ban of 3 weeks. WLF or SDW might be able to comment on this?

So, I have no doubt the Waverley boys played hard last weekend but find it difficult to imagine they went the biff, leaguies or not. As I said though, I wasn't there. Ruck Ross who provided the fine highlights reel from Aloys might have noticed though.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
That's interesting regarding the "taking a swing" comment. I wasn't there, so don't know what happened.

However, I was at the Waverley V Knox day, and watched 4 of those matches. It struck me that every Waverley team played very hard, but they were the "cleanest" games I had every seen at Death Valley.

I believe the Waverley Principal has decreed that hard play is a given, but punching will meet a school imposed ban of 3 weeks. WLF or SDW might be able to comment on this?

So, I have no doubt the Waverley boys played hard last weekend but find it difficult to imagine they went the biff, leaguies or not. As I said though, I wasn't there. Ruck Ross who provided the fine highlights reel from Aloys might have noticed though.

PP,

Can assure you any such behaviour is not accepted at Waverley, like any other school.
In fact the punishment is very real, another boy was also recently red carded, this meant he lost his certain rep spots and was banned for the rest of the season.

Mcgregor man

Frank Row (1)

It was a very obvious swing, but it was off the ball and they were down by a bit which could’ve been a catalyst for it, I’m just saying what I saw, and there was quite a bit of off ball niggle.

But yes if the person who gave the fine highlights could help deliberate that would be fantastic

Aloys_win

Stan Wickham (3)
What times do the NSW schools teams get announced and when are players informed? Or do they find out when the team is announced?

Corn

Bob McCowan (2)
Not to open a can of worms, but from what I heard from a very reliable Cranbrook parent is that the Barker physio was wired up to the coaches and was standing next to the fullback barking orders such as “exit” or “play it out”. Not sure where this falls in the CAS laws but is certainly worth talking about as it seems a bit of an injustice. Oh Well, it is how it is.

Corn.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Here you go. Congrats to all players selected. Do your State and School proud

580bb0_9f183e3402a7408e8305fe6d07ee45ea~mv2.webp

Beauden Barret

Frank Row (1)
I'd be very surprised to not see the Barker front row in there especially Billy Pollard obviously. Tas smith in my opinion deserves a spot he's been a star this season for Cranbrook distributing well and kicking exceptionally well. Reminds me a bit of Aaron Smith. Same as Sam Rechner from Knox he's a great second five eight everyone knows that. Thoughts?

wallabyinwaiting

Bob McCowan (2)
Hello Beauden.

from my understanding there are other pathways available outside of NSW Schools, which some of the boys are sure to be on. having played schoolboys in year 11, i doubt that Pollard wouldnt make nsw 2s - so i'd wager he is in those alternative pathways.

have not seen too much of smith - but is a good player by reputation. but albert league above the rest no disrespect. will not be surprised if he is pulling on gold in the future.

5/23 boys in NSW 1s from CAS. not bad, not great either. might stick my head in to watch.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi guys. I think we are in agreement that some of these players who are clear standouts and who are not selected may well already be in the Aust Schoolboys /U18 squad alread and do not need to play in the tournament. I think that is the wrong approach but I am not a decision maker. But as Ace Ventura, SDW and Joker quite rightly point out, those player were walk up into a NSW side and having played either Aust schoolboys in 2018 or BaaBaas. So there is clearly something going on that is not transparent to us mere mortals.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hi guys. I think we are in agreement that some of these players who are clear standouts and who are not selected may well already be in the Aust Schoolboys /U18 squad alread and do not need to play in the tournament. I think that is the wrong approach but I am not a decision maker. But as Ace Ventura, SDW and Joker quite rightly point out, those player were walk up into a NSW side and having played either Aust schoolboys in 2018 or BaaBaas. So there is clearly something going on that is not transparent to us mere mortals.

Rod, the problem is that those squads don't seem to be published anywhere - so average supporter has no way of knowing whether someone like Pollard is omitted from NSW Schools because he's already chosen for Gen Blue. Not very satisfactory.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Going by this map, players like Bokenham(J), Pollard (B)Koula (N) have probably been selected straight from school side into the Waratahs academy. Withe the reading of the terms, the NSW 1 & 2 squads gather at Darcyville for a camp on 1st to 3rd July. I am not sure what happens then.

Is the sqaud combined with those players that have a direct path to the academy. The end game for a NSW U18 player seems to be the Waratahs Gen Blue team which plays in a comp in September at Ballymore, from which the Aust Schools U18 side is selected.

Looking at the Qld academy team to play the Rebels today, it is stacked with GPS lads who are not in the Qld 1 or 2 squads to play at Riverview in 2 weeks time.

I suppose this will be the last year of the National schools tournament. No point having it if the best players are not in the mix.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod, the problem is that those squads don't seem to be published anywhere - so average supporter has no way of knowing whether someone like Pollard is omitted from NSW Schools because he's already chosen for Gen Blue. Not very satisfactory.

Hi Snort. I agree with you. Transparency is lacking