• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
Knox 52 defeated a surprisingly tough Cranbrook 23. (Seven tries to two)
knox definitely needs better software on the fancy scoreboard.
Knox showed some good touches but are still not travelling as well as they would like. Cranbrook 12 was good. Neither kicker, both the 10s missed a kick at goal.
Quite a gloomy afternoon; dark, cold and miserable

Knox up by only a point ten minutes into the second half. The referee gave his lungs a good workout and I would like to see the penalty count. Not because either side received more penalties but it seemed like there were a lot of penalties. The ref was given some grief from the Knox crowd when he gave a penalty to Cranbrook for the tackler failing to release the tackled player when it seemed like the tackled player had been held up off the ground and asking the tackler to release was puzzling. I am sure the ref thought he was correct and his opinion is the only one that counts. Knox played well but so did Cranbrook. If they are the wooden spoon favourites it says a lot for the standard and closeness of the competition. Knox was strong in the forwards and also showed some flair in the backs. Cranbrook backs were dangerous from broken play but did not appear to have as much penetration from set plays apart from a brilliant solo effort by their no 12 that resulted in a try under the posts and brought the brooks to 23-24. Knox has a lot of self belief and declined the points on offer from a penalty soon after and scored wide out. Their year 10 number 10 calmly slotted the conversion to give Knox an 8 point lead and they ran away with it somewhat. Knox number 5 made some strong bullocking runs and Knox number 12 showed good ball skills and made several line breaks. The Cranbrook number 15 made several breaks from kick returns and was always a threat. The Cranbrook number 10 was busy and made many important tackles. The Knox number 9 impresses me as a quiet achiever. Not all that noticeable but gives good service to the backs and marshalls the forwards well.
There were very few unforced errors in this quality game. Still no Stenning or Armstrong in the backs for Knox. Does anyone know when they may be back from injury?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker v Trinity Other scores

14As Barker 15/5
15A's Barker 19/17
16A's Barker 32/17
2nds Barker 52/7
1sts Trinity 21/20

The 1sts was a cracking match. Both teams should be congratulated for a top display of rugby.
The Trinity 8 (Harry McLennon) was my pick as man of the match. Great at the breakdown and a very strong runner of the ball with numerous line breaks.

The Barker lads played their hearts out and if not for wasting 2 very kick-able penalties and some 3 min when a field goal could have been thrown over the game would have been theirs. A kicking coach needs appointing and soon.

Well done Trinity. The 2nd half of the competition for Waverley, Trinity and Barker will be worth watching.

S

sidelineview

Waves vs Alos. It was a good game. 18-17 to Waves with a few minutes to go. 20-18 Alos with a minute to go and Waverley on the attack. Last minute try to Alo's Diamond from within their own 22.

RugbyKnowledge

Frank Row (1)
Aloys vs Waverly was a thriller. Waverly were clearly dominant in the first half earning all of their 18 points. They denied Aloys the ball and pressured the forwards well, especially in scrums. In the second half Aloys pulled it together and through some nice footy managed to get the score to 17-18. A penalty in front in the last 2 minutes got it to 20-18 and them a run away try by Diamond from a great move by the Aloys 15 saw them seal the game.
Again the 9 from Aloys had a great game. Diamond and Slavo stand outs as well. The Waverly 10 tyzac? was very good as was their 12. Waverly forwards were strong but Aloys forwards just outlasted them over the course of the game.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Knox up by only a point ten minutes into the second half. The referee gave his lungs a good workout and I would like to see the penalty count. Not because either side received more penalties but it seemed like there were a lot of penalties. The ref was given some grief from the Knox crowd when he gave a penalty to Cranbrook for the tackler failing to release the tackled player when it seemed like the tackled player had been held up off the ground and asking the tackler to release was puzzling. I am sure the ref thought he was correct and his opinion is the only one that counts. Knox played well but so did Cranbrook. If they are the wooden spoon favourites it says a lot for the standard and closeness of the competition. Knox was strong in the forwards and also showed some flair in the backs. Cranbrook backs were dangerous from broken play but did not appear to have as much penetration from set plays apart from a brilliant solo effort by their no 12 that resulted in a try under the posts and brought the brooks to 23-24. Knox has a lot of self belief and declined the points on offer from a penalty soon after and scored wide out. Their year 10 number 10 calmly slotted the conversion to give Knox an 8 point lead and they ran away with it somewhat. Knox number 5 made some strong bullocking runs and Knox number 12 showed good ball skills and made several line breaks. The Cranbrook number 15 made several breaks from kick returns and was always a threat. The Cranbrook number 10 was busy and made many important tackles. The Knox number 9 impresses me as a quiet achiever. Not all that noticeable but gives good service to the backs and marshalls the forwards well.
There were very few unforced errors in this quality game. Still no Stenning or Armstrong in the backs for Knox. Does anyone know when they may be back from injury?
Know the result in the 16a's?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)

14As Barker 15/5
15A's Barker 19/17
16A's Barker 32/17
2nds Barker 52/7
1sts Trinity 21/20

The 1sts was a cracking match. Both teams should be congratulated for a top display of rugby.
The Trinity 8 (Harry McLennon) was my pick as man of the match. Great at the breakdown and a very strong runner of the ball with numerous line breaks.

The Barker lads played their hearts out and if not for wasting 2 very kick-able penalties and some 3 min when a field goal could have been thrown over the game would have been theirs. A kicking coach needs appointing and soon.

Well done Trinity. The 2nd half of the competition for Waverley, Trinity and Barker will be worth watching.
13 a's Trinity

Tahmen

Frank Nicholson (4)
My thoughts on the Knox vs Cranbrook game:

• Large penalty count it did seem to be pretty evenly spread not sure whether that was just the refereeing style or some sloppy play.
  • Knox backs seemed to step up in offense with a couple of good runs, as always good in defense.
  • Cranbrook backs were very fast and good in offense slightly weaker in defense but still decent.
  • Knox forwards strong in defense, starting to see some more strong runs of the ball from the forwards which is good they are large and fit and so should should be utilised more, I thought Begg stepped up today in his running of the ball.
  • Cranbrook got some clean ball to their dangerous backs, nothing special but a good effort against the strongest forward pack in the competition. I think they should be happy.
  • In the first half it was looking very close at nearly all points and going into halftime Cranbrook would have thought they had a real chance and Knox would be thinking about things to fix.
  • The Knox team is very fit and I have noticed that they seem to put a points on the board in the 2nd half, they did so again today. I would put that down to fitness for both teams, although Cranbrook played with a lot of spirit throughout but started to tire and let things through that shouldn't be let through.
  • Highlight of the match: When crowd favourite Lachlan Ireland came on and stole a great lineout too a big cheer from the boys.
  • Cranbrooks best player was undoubtedly #10 Searl who was great, I think he has a definite chance for a CAS spot, he was very fast and seemed to appear in all of the right places at the right times.
  • Knox’s #10 Woodcock had a great kicking game making some very hard kicks, although #8 Basson would have to be my pick his game has only gotten better and better he has a great awareness of the game and seems to pop in and out of the backline at perfect times.
  • Cranbrook put up a good show, Knox was just too good. Loving the competition this year.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)

14As Barker 15/5
15A's Barker 19/17
16A's Barker 32/17
2nds Barker 52/7
1sts Trinity 21/20

Well put Rod. There wasn't a bad player on the park. McLennan was a powerhouse again. I had Ryan Longville down as man of the match. Clean and efficient at the back, scored a good try from a fair way out and his two sideline conversions were the difference in a 3 try a piece affair (Barker 3 tries, 1 conversion, 1 penalty).

bringbackthebiff

Bob McCowan (2)
CAS 1st XV

Tim Anstey ( B ), Anthony Nguyen ( T ), Alexander Rathie ( C ), Lachlan Swinton ( K ), Hugh Margin ( K ), Milan Basson ( K ), Harry Chapman ( K ), Harry McLennan ( T ), Matthew Hayes ( A ), Bruce Thompson ( B ), Dion Navayan ( W ), Joe Williams ( K ), Peter Slaven ( A ), Alex Diamond ( A ), Ryan Longville ( T ),

CAS 2nd XV

Connor Grindal ( K ), Nicholas Rowell ( K ), Pernell Filipo ( T ), Liam Rasch ( T ), Will Halliday ( A ), Justin Cooper ( W ), Liam Shiel-Dick ( A ), Simon Purcell ( B ), Cooper Murphy ( W ), Robert Siteine ( T ), Brad Caddey ( B ), Sam Lawson ( A ), Jake Smirnotis ( W ), Jackson Mohi ( W ), Leo Bosch ( K ), Lewis Barakat ( C ), Eric Stene ( A ), Jordi Nikopoulos ( A ), Lachlan Begg ( K ), Zac Cardassilaris ( W ), Rhett Butler ( K ), Tyzac Jordan ( W ), Jack Mazaraki ( A ).

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
Big calls to leave out Armstrong and Lloyd. I definitely think that they both should have been picked in the 1's side but then to be completely left out... If they wanted Slaven so badly I think they should have replaced him with Navayan on the wing and put Armstrong at outside. In regard to Lloyd, I think they should have moved Chapman to 6, Lloyd at 7 put Basson in the second row and put Margin in the 2's

BRUMBIEJACK1

Frank Row (1)
As we all know, a week in rugby is a very long time. After what was a disappointing performance against St Aloysius by Knox that should have been the low point of their season, they seemed to go back to the drawing board this week. What many described as a dominant performance wasn’t necessarily true. Firstly, Cranbrook’s lack of fitness cost them dearly; at half time the difference was a point, by the end, it was 29. That either points to a serious boost in choices (which Knox to their credit achieved) as well as poor levels of fitness. This gave rise to enforcers such as Joe Williams being able to stamp their name on the game and seal the deal for Knox.
Another change that helped the men in Black and Blue was the outrageous penalty count. It slowed the play and allowed them to re-group when it counted. Make no mistake, Knox was the better team but this result needs to be taken with a grain of salt. For 85% of the match, Cranbrook was highly competitive and as a result, gave Knox quite a fright.
Leo Bosch was outstanding. After a couple of weeks out of form, he returned with a passion to be the Knight in Shining armor for Knox at the back. His choices were sublime and with very few errors, he was best on the park. Meanwhile, Milan Basson and Harry Chapman were btoh outrageous and continued their extraordinary run of form, certain contenders for higher levels of rugby at the end of this season. Yet Knox had some players who just simply went to sleep. Knox’s big powerful locks were quieter than usual, were uncharacteristically quiet and didn’t create big opportunities like he usually does. Both Knox wingers were not up to their usual high standards. They played out of position and failed to make an impact on the game.
It was not all bad news for ‘Brook though. The inside center and fullback were the stars of the show for the men in red and kept them competitive with their impressive choices. Unfortunately though, their five-eight killed off any attack with poor ball choices, ineffective execution and disappointing positioning.
Knox isn’t the out of the woods yet but the good news for them is they have a week off to recover and heal the wounds of the first five rounds. A championship team? Potentially but not certainly by any stretch of the imagination. The fight for the CAS is still well and truly on and to their credit they have won the 5 CAS GAMES FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 2003-CONGRATULATIONS BOYS….BUT……IT WILL BE GREATLY DISAPPOINTING AND THE SEASON SEEN AS A FAILURE IF THEY CANNOT BACK IT UP WITH THE ARSENAL AVAILABLE TO THEM.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
For CAS, Wayland (1) was unavailable for selection with a knee injury and Morris (12) appears to have broken his ankle today.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Shame for the boys out injured, some of whom I think were sure things. Warm congratulations to the boys who have been selected though. May they do
CAS proud.

S

sidelineview

Shame for the boys out injured, some of whom I think were sure things. Warm congratulations to the boys who have been selected though. May they do
CAS proud.

Yes, it is a shame but well done to all the boys chosen and good luck in the games against CHS.

Mr Goyu Goodthing

Frank Nicholson (4)
I saw the Knox Vs Cranbrook game. I thought best players were:

Knox
Woodcock 10 - MOM performance with good decisions, searching runs, a lovely solo try cutting through 'brook back line, plus he put on a kicking masterclass converting 8 from 8. Incredible. 22 points for the game. I am surprised no mention in other reports.
Chapman 7 - What a Captain. Leads from the front. Two tries and many charges with ball in hand. Definite chance for Schoolboys or at least Captain NSW 1. He never has a bad game.
Williams 12 - Has his mojo back and attacked at every opportunity. Very strong ball runner and not greedy setting up others on several occasions.

Cranbrook
McNiven 12 - Always looked dangerous and scored solo try by one of many hard charging runs. Appears to lead his team well.
Rathie - Very good at breakdown and uncompromising defence
Barakat - Cranbrook scrum seemed under pressure, however he has a high work rate for front row, disruptive at breakdown and probably sealed his CAS selection with this game.

Special mentions go to Basson and Swinton - The core of the Knox team and probably could have each receipted points for best player. Both dominated again yesterday.

Mr Goyu Goodthing

Frank Nicholson (4)
I also saw the Knox Vs Cranbrook 16s game. It was always going to be tough game for knox with (I was told) 5 of their best players out. However, they started the game with real fire in their belly putting together phase after phase of attack resulting in two tries in the first half.

In the 2nd half, Cranbrook took advantage of the Knox big prop being sin-binned and came back with two tries in 10 minutes. They're game is a little one dimensional and they tend to always want to kick - which was unfortunate because their back line looked dangerous with ball in hand. However they really played well in 2nd half to claw back the lead.

Knox scored again and the game was in the balance, unfortunately a couple of conversions just missed their mark for both teams and at full-time it was a 19-19 draw.

In a strange way, probably a good result for both teams: Cranbrook happy to draw with a team that is almost undefeated for 3.5 years and which they have never beaten, Knox probably happy to 'not' lose to a strong Cranbrook team when so many players away.

Status
Not open for further replies.